This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help, Should I Go To Doctor

ncdave

ncdave Apprentice

self dianosed, been trying to be gluten free for 8 months now with many mistakes. I went to the doc to get antibotics for broncitus, he wants me to see a gi for weight lose an possible celiac. Like a lot of people on here i do not trust docs anymore!! I try an be gluten free, take my vitamins, take flaxseed an grapeseed oil daily. My question is should i go an what can a doc do to to help me? I feel like i"m in this all alone, i mean only i have control over being gluten free.

We buy wild bird food by the 50 lbs bag. I put it in a six pack cooler to fill the feeders. Watch out for wild bird seed dust some of it contains wheat!!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You would need to go back on gluten to be tested for celiac. Being gluten free or gluten light will cause a false negative. Did you have any celiac testing done before you went gluten free 8 months ago? You also say you are trying to be gluten free with a lot of mistakes. What are you typically eating? Are you taking precautions about cross contamination?

If you have other things besides celiac going on the GI doctor would be able to help with those but testing for celiac will likely require a challenge.

ncdave Apprentice

I eat baked chicken, baked potatoes, garden peas, bananas,baked fish,butter,cooked apples in small amounts, enjoy life brand choclate with no problems. Only thing i can drink is water. I also can"t have dairy cause it bloats my stomach. I was digonased with irritable bowel syndrom after my colonscopy. on my follow up visit i took a paper with my symptoms writen down, the doc didn"t even read past the first line an told my this was in my head an i need to take up yoga. I got so sick i spent 6 months in bed only got up to eat an go to the restroom. I cant eat anything in a package that says gluten free except enjoy life baking chocklate chips. I have trouble eating any meat except chciken. It"s a pretty limited diet so usually after 5-6 days i will try to add something else but it doesen"t work so i stay sick for 4-6 days after. I would say i"m extremly gluten senstive an reactions after being glutened are pretty severe. I don"t need any test to tell me i can"t eat bread or gluten!!! I have no problems with cc anymore house is gluten free. I fed them birds for 7 months an never relized i was inhaling wheat dust every 3-4 days.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Dave,

I'll watch out for the bird food. I usually get the sunflower seeds and millet type. Still have some of it left from last year as I mostly put it out when there is snow on the ground, and we didn't get much snow this past winter.

I wonder if you can do sweet potatoes? Regular potatoes are nightshades and some of us have reactions to them. Nightshades are tomato, potato, pepper and eggplant.

It could be you have a chronic issue going on in your gut also. H.Pylori bacteria or parasites could cause ongoing symptoms. H.Pylori is very common though, something like 50% of people have it.

How about avocados? Can you eat them? Is corn ok?

ncdave Apprentice

Hello again GFINDC, i"m sure glad you found this thread. Your the one that told to get rid of dairy 8 months ago an it sure worked, no more bloating. I still cant have dairy :( I did leave out a few food items i can eat, so add sweet potatoes, turkey, small amounts of mayo (on my bananas) and guess what else, fried pork skins don"t seem to bother me. That"s all thats on my list..... Never had a avocado in my life, i"ll have to give one a try. I did good with watermelon :) I been wanting to try corn but haven"t in a while now. I love frito"s but found more than 6 chips an i didn"t do good. Looks like a trip to the doc to check for h.Pylori

Takala Enthusiast

Okay, for avocados, if they are hard to the touch in the store, let them sit out on the counter several days to finish ripening. Once they are soft, they are ready to eat.

You can make chocolate "pudding" out of mashed avocado and melted chocolate chips. :)

Can you do coconut ? Coconut milk (canned) is good, you could make a sort of "horchata" type drink out of that, water, and some form of sweetener, if there are any you could tolerate, such as honey or stevia. Mix up a small amount in warm water and then dilute with regular water and ice. Coconut milk can also be mixed with canned pumpkin for "pudding," or mixed with canned pumpkin, sweetener, and egg, and baked as a pumpkin pie type custard.

If you are going to try corn, try fresh corn, first, that you peel the husks off of and then cook, or slice the kernels off of and then cook, (you can also put this through a blender to make a sort of corn slurry and grind it up) so you can see if it is the corn itself that is bothering you, or how it was processed.

I react poorly to flax, I think I'm the only person I know that does that, but flax oil and seeds, even ground up, really do a number on me, if you want to skip the flax oil a day or two and see what happens.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I react poorly to flax, I think I'm the only person I know that does that, but flax oil and seeds, even ground up, really do a number on me, if you want to skip the flax oil a day or two and see what happens.

Your not the only one. Flax doesn't like me either. Good suggestion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I can't tolerate flax either. I third that suggestion.

GFinDC Veteran

Hello again GFINDC, i"m sure glad you found this thread. Your the one that told to get rid of dairy 8 months ago an it sure worked, no more bloating. I still cant have dairy :( I did leave out a few food items i can eat, so add sweet potatoes, turkey, small amounts of mayo (on my bananas) and guess what else, fried pork skins don"t seem to bother me. That"s all thats on my list..... Never had a avocado in my life, i"ll have to give one a try. I did good with watermelon :) I been wanting to try corn but haven"t in a while now. I love frito"s but found more than 6 chips an i didn"t do good. Looks like a trip to the doc to check for h.Pylori

Well, I'm glad to help Dave, we all have similar problems so it is nice in a way because we can share and learn from each other. Dairy has both lactose and casein, and they can both be a problem or just one of them. Hard cheeses are mostly casein so that is one way to test if you want to explore. Milk has lots of lactose and casein, unless you get the lactaid kind that has the lactose pre-digested. But you can try lactaid pills also. I can do a little dairy once in a while now but don't do it more than once every few months at best.

Avocadoes are great for making guacamole. They have a lot of good protein inthem. Take a large knife and push it into the center lengthwise on the avocado. Turn the avocado and hold the knife still. This cuts the avocado all the way to the center seed. Then just twist the avocado halves to separate. Whack the seed with the knife so it sticks in and twist sideways to remove. Then you can get the avocado out with a large spoon. Guacamole is just avacado, lemon juice, salt pepper, and anything else you want to mix in,like mayo. Salmon is a nice addition to raise the protein and tastes good too.

I don't don't well with Fritos myself, not sure why but they don't sit well, so I quit eating them years ago. Food Should Taste Good brand sweet potato chips or olive chips seem fine though.

I don't know about corn on the cob. I can't digest the skins on the corn and many people can't. They are very tough to digest. But I can do corn torillas ok, like Mission brand or others.

I don't do much sweet stuff, once in a while but generally avoid it. I eat chicken, beef, fish etc. peas, brussell sprouts, ,bananas, corn (taco shells or tortillas), peanuts and peanut butter, other nuts but not Brazil nuts, almond or hemp milk, Chex cereals but only the corn or rice versions. Sweet potatoes, kale, black beans, onions, cantalope, carob, (not chocolate), pumpkin, eggs. Probably some more things I am not thinking of. One of my local health food stores has a grinder to grind your own peanut butter which is cheaper than the regular brands. Pretty neat.

I found out a few months ago that grapes were causing me problems and stopped all forms of them. Made a big difference for me. I also stopped all alcohol as it is hard on the digestive tract from what I've read.

I did try some Against the Grain muffins recently and the were ok for me. They are made with tapioca flour instead of potato flour Kind of pricey though. I'll use the corn taco shells or tortillas instead.

I hope you feel better soon Dave and find some more foods that work for you. Choolate avcaoe soudns wierd to me but I haven't tried it so maybe I should. Carob avoacado might be ok. :)

gazelle19 Newbie

I can't tolerate flax either. I third that suggestion.

I think I may be allergic to flax as well...I thought I was the only one. I've had very bad experiences with KIND bars which are supposed to be gluten-free but contain flax, so I'm thinking that is the problem besides gluten. Last time I had a bite of the granola bar I had to throw up and felt like I would faint and a very bad and strong pain in my lower back. It is truly scary since I haven't been diagnosed with celiac yet but I know I cannot tolerate it. What other symptoms do you feel when you eat flax? It would truly help to know them in order to see if I am intolerant to flax.

THANKS

ncdave Apprentice

A lot of great food ideas an some info i did not know. I do thank you all. I think right now i need to stick to whats on my list an get well, i been sick to long lately (couple weeks) I know it"s my own fault for trying new stuff. I tried gluten-free soda an did ok for 7-8 days but all of a sudden it hit me an super bloated. It went away after a few days but it has my hiatal hernia really messed up right now. Soon as i get over the citric acid an (dairy free gluten free ice cream) i will try the coconut milk, maby mix in a banana. I been drinking nothing but water for a long time now. Something to drink would be so wonderful to look forward to, even if it"s only 12 oz a day!!! After the coconut milk test i"ll try the avacoada. I"m going to pass on the corn for a while longer. I feel like if i don"t get well an stay well i"m never going to get healed up. I also gave the oils a break. The oil mixture really did help my leg muscles from hurting.

• 2 weeks later...
ncdave Apprentice

Well i tried the avocado, i want my dollar back! I didn"t trust all the ingredints in the can coconut milk, i found this stuff called organic cream coconut. Only ingredient is organic coconut. It just looks like very fine ground cocconut, you mix 1 tablespoon coconut with 2 tbl. hot water. looks just like milk. Even if you fill the glass half full of water is still white like milk. I used 1/4 glass c milk, 1 banana, 1 tbl honey. fill the blender with ice till it got to 2 cups. OH it is so delicious. I"ve been doin really good, except when i ate to much enjoy life chocklate mega chips, they didn"t make me feel bad, but i sure had a terrable migrain the next day. Almost can"t wait till tommorow so i can have another coconut banana drink! TAKALA thanks for the drink receip, GFINDC feel free to pm me for where to send my dollar!!!!

GFinDC Veteran

Well i tried the avocado, i want my dollar back! I didn"t trust all the ingredints in the can coconut milk, i found this stuff called organic cream coconut. Only ingredient is organic coconut. It just looks like very fine ground cocconut, you mix 1 tablespoon coconut with 2 tbl. hot water. looks just like milk. Even if you fill the glass half full of water is still white like milk. I used 1/4 glass c milk, 1 banana, 1 tbl honey. fill the blender with ice till it got to 2 cups. OH it is so delicious. I"ve been doin really good, except when i ate to much enjoy life chocklate mega chips, they didn"t make me feel bad, but i sure had a terrable migrain the next day. Almost can"t wait till tommorow so i can have another coconut banana drink! TAKALA thanks for the drink receip, GFINDC feel free to pm me for where to send my dollar!!!!

Wow Dave, I am sorry you didn't like the avocado. Did you get a bad one? They should be brown skin and green inner layer and yellow inside. Sometimes the stores leave them too long and they turn brown inside. They have enzymes in them that break them down pretty quickly . That's why they put lemon juice in the guacamole to retard the browning. I sometimes make gaucamole and add canned salmon to it for extra protein. It's great with the Food Should Taste Good chips.

I am glad you are feeling better! The smoothie you made sounds real good. An avocado would probably make it even better. :)

Well, snail mail is too slow for this situation, so here is your dollar back. Plus I saved a stamp and wear and tear on the mail people.

640px-United_States_one_dollar_bill%2C_obverse.webp

I feel really bad about the avocado so here are a couple more dollars to make up for it. Don't all you other cilly heads go getting ideas though, I am not made of money! :(

ncdave Apprentice

Well since you sent a couple extra bucks, i"ll try again. Maby i let mine get a little to ripe, it was pretty soft an didn"t look to good inside. ( didn"t taste to good either). You should try the drink it"s really great, Did you know the greener bananas taste much sweeter than the ripe ones!

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Dave,

Nope, I always avoided the green bananas and let them sit until they get properly ripe. But I'll try one now that you suggested it. I'll have to pass on the coconut drink since coconut and I don't get along well anymore. Maybe I'll try it sometime just to see what happens.

My sister got some bad avocados at a store once and we took them back. They were all brown inside, already gone.

ncdave Apprentice

Oh i see i"m not the only one that wanted there dollar back!!!

I"m not talking reel green just a little green. Seems like when i eat chocolate i wake up very dizzy the next morning, is there a connection between the sugar an dizzyness or vertigo?

One more thing what can i do to gain some weight back, i"ve lost 35lbs in the last 9 months, i didn"t need to lose any! I try an eat small portions every couple hours, I have not lost any weight in the last month but I have not gained any either. I need a natural food thats very fatning, the coconut is 190 calories per tablespoon. I"m hoping that helps. I also need something so i don"t have to take miralax daily!

GFinDC Veteran

I guess you didn't notice the rubber band attached to those dollars I refunded eh? :)

Yeah, coconut is something I'd like to be able to eat but it doesn't agree with that idea. I don't know if I'd take the Miralax, it seems to me psyillium husks would be a more natural remedy than PEG. Not much easier to spell but at least it's shorter.

Open Original Shared Link

I used psyillium husks for a while, I put a little in everything I ate. Works ok.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Well since you sent a couple extra bucks, i"ll try again. Maby i let mine get a little to ripe, it was pretty soft an didn"t look to good inside. ( didn"t taste to good either). You should try the drink it"s really great, Did you know the greener bananas taste much sweeter than the ripe ones!

Hey Dave! I hate avocado's too! But I make myself eat one every day because they are so darn good for you. the trick is to find exactly the ripeness you like them. I like mine just barely ripe...soft enough for the pit to pop out but not to the mush stage...yuck. And if there is any brown...I cut it off...it can't be good for you I figure...but I know others who eat it even if it is brown. Anyway, the firmly ripe not mush ripe is the way to go. I like slightly green banana's too and I never eat them ripe! We must have the same taste bud genes... :D

ncdave Apprentice

I"ll try an get off the miralax, sounds like i need to eat more peas, an stop peeling the potatoes. I was hoping for someone to recommend trying prunes or something.

Last couple of days have been tough to say the least ! I know i have not ate anything wrong. After reading 3 pages from back in 06 about paper plates an paper towels i pretty much ruled those out.

Sometimes i sleep in while my girl friend is getting ready for work. I read the lable on the back of a paul mitchell hair spray can. In bold black letters it says Hydrolyzed wheat protein breathing hair spray may not be in my best interest.

Archived