This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do Reactions To Gluten Get Worse The Longer Diagnosed?

mommyof4

cyclinglady Grand Master
6 hours ago, Worsum said:

So then there is an allergy going on with something in the lotions outside of the gluten? That would make sense as well. I was told by my doctor that gluten can be absorbed through the skin and cause reactions as well. This is why I thought the lotion was the issue. And since I am so very reactive to absolutely everything right now sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between an allergic reaction and the celiac response. This is all still very new to me.

Karen is right.  The scientific community agrees that gluten can not be absorbed into the skin.  However, you can have more than just celiac disease going on.  You might have an allergy or intolerance to any of the ingredients.  Who knows?  

Personally, I make sure that all products that might come into contact with my mouth, are gluten free. That includes anything I put on my lips and on my hands.    Do I know the source of say, tocopheryl, when I am in the store?  No (am not going to waste time looking it up or waiting to call the manufacturer).  I just do not buy the product.  Piece of mind is priceless.

When I first moved out, I went to make a sandwich.  The mayo in the frig (roommates) had been there for a while.  Was it safe?  Called home and my Dad said, "Is it worth a buck to get food poisoning?"  Obviously not.  So, I ate my sandwich dry and later purchased a new jar (dated it upon opening and still do to this day).  

I have allergies to all kinds of weird things.  A bug bite can cause me to develop a full body rash/hives and not just a localized area.  The rash will be way worse if I am having a celiac flare-up (have been exposed to gluten). 

If in doubt avoid it.  Soon, you will get the gluten-free diet down.  There is a steep learning curve and honestly, in the beginning, it is hard to think.  Best to keep to simple things.  Less worries and you reduce the risk of a glutening.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

The problem with lotions and shampoo etc is that once it is on your skin/hands, it is easy for it to get in your mouth.

Worsum Newbie

I have definitely learned first hand about the ingesting part of the gluten thing. Even a little soya sauce or teriyaki sends me into the 'bowels' of despair for hours and can last days. The pain is terrible. Glad to know that at least the lotions won't actually do major damage as long as it's topical I can at least deal with the rashes. Thanks for the help in understanding the difference. :-)

Momma Donna Newbie

I am new to Celiac and honestly don't know why I react to certain foods - like Honeydew melon. I was told that melon is good the first day but starts producing mold soon after.

Some of us may have allergies and they are masked/covered by gluten issues.  My mother and I both wind up with a cardiac arrhythmia, which causes dizziness and totally wipes us out once the reaction is over in 2-3 days.  For us,  the dizziness is due to the allergic response, and then also have the bad stomach to go with it.

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, Momma Donna said:

I am new to Celiac and honestly don't know why I react to certain foods - like Honeydew melon. I was told that melon is good the first day but starts producing mold soon after.

Some of us may have allergies and they are masked/covered by gluten issues.  My mother and I both wind up with a cardiac arrhythmia, which causes dizziness and totally wipes us out once the reaction is over in 2-3 days.  For us,  the dizziness is due to the allergic response, and then also have the bad stomach to go with it.

Welcome to the forum!  Check out our Newbie 101 adbpvice for some valuable tips.  

Most of us have temporary or sometimes permanent food intolerances due to intestinal damage.  You might like this Article which features Dr. Fasano, a leading celiac GI expert which explains the possible reasons why:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/09/459061317/a-protein-in-the-gut-may-explain-why-some-cant-stomach-gluten

• 2 months later...
SewHappy Rookie

Hi!

i was diagnosed in January of 2017 by biopsy. My main symptoms were acid reflux/indigestion, bloating, and fluffy and loose bowel movements. Luckily, I was diagnosed early, and the amount of damage to my intestine is probably less than what's typical. 

After going gluten-free, I did at first think I felt worse after getting glutened because I got used to feeling better and was hyper aware of any symptoms. It was also difficult to determine the cause because I'd only experience mild bloating and fluffy/loose bowel movements, which were sometimes not occurring until the next morning.

In February or March, I went through a bout of denial hoping I had tropical sprue instead of celiac because I had done a lot of traveling in areas where you can contract it.  So we ordered pizza and the breaded chicken bites from Dominoes.  I felt bloated - but who isn't after eating a meal like that - and didn't have diarrhea until the next afternoon.  

I was careless today and didn't read a label until 2 minutes after I had consumed the fish oil and saw it was processed in a facility with wheat. After only 15 minutes or so, I started feeling extremely nauseated, a little achey, and then had diarrhea. I am feeling really tired, have that same hangover feeling others have mentioned, tired and just blah all around. 

So, yes, I feel my reactions have become not only worse but more immediate. The one benefit is that it's been a lot easier to narrow down the cause! 

• 2 years later...
SweetPeaMarie Newbie
On 8/29/2012 at 10:28 AM, Kiwiwio said:

That is so interesting! I used to get panic attacks and since I have been gluten-free, it has largely subsided. I do get anxious when I accidentally eat gluten. I thought it was from the fear of the pain I would or was feeling. Is this a physical reaction caused by celiac?

Hi,

Anxiety and depression are both symptoms of Celiac disease.  So that could definitely be causing your anxiousness.  Take Care! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):