• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Fast Food French Fries

13 posts in this topic

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

psawyer    687

McDonald's fries are the most-discussed topic here.

There is a wheat-derived component in a flavor added to the oil in which the fries are partially cooked before being frozen. The final product has been independently tested and found to contain no detectable gluten. Make you own decision. I eat them occasionally.

I have no knowledge of Sonic, and can't find a recent post here. In January 2010, someone said they shared the fryer with gluten products.

• Upvote 1

kareng    1,992

Sonic does have a lot of breaded and fried foods. I would bet they are all fried together. You could go and ask. :)

In and Out and Five Guys only fry potatoes

Elevation Burger fries nothing but potatoes (in olive oil).

I hope it's not extra virgin, otherwise it goes rancid. EVOO can't take heat.

Come to think of it, yes, they do fry other things in the oil. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a bit of chicken or something in my fries!

Ads by Google:

Adalaide    361

All of my local Wendy's have dedicated fryers for fries. I'm not sure if it's a policy with the local franchise owner or a national chain policy but certainly something worth checking out. And the Frostys are gluten free also so you have something to dip your fries in! :D

cap6    85

This is a hot topic and what it comes down to is that you have to do what is right for you. Read what everyone has to say and then decide.

I, personally, will not eat anything (except for a frosty at Wendy's)at a fast food place, even if they have separate fryers, as I feel there is too great of opportunity for cross contamination. I wait and have my fries somewhere like Red Robin. There is far too much gluten flying around in those places, but, as I said, that is only my opinion.

Ads by Google:

NJceliac    4

Five Guys is a great place to go for french fries and very low risk of cross contamination. I believe they do use peanut oil (didn't look to se if that was an allergy of yours).

lovegrov    148

Cap, last I checked not every Red Robin had a dedicated fryer. Has that changed?

richard

kareng    1,992

Cap, last I checked not every Red Robin had a dedicated fryer. Has that changed?

richard

Found this on thier website. However, as I remember the last one I went to, the fries were made in thier own area that you could see from the dining room. Its a very large and busy Red Robin, so maybe a smaller one would have a shared fryer. You should always ask.

"Seasoned Red Robin Steak Fries do not contain any wheat/gluten allergens; however, there is a risk they might be fried in a common fryer with the allergens you want to avoid."

Ads by Google:

Adalaide    361

I didn't think of this until I was out of the house last night and just had to go out for fries and a shake, but In-N-Out has safe fries. Since all they serve is fries, burgers and drinks there isn't any risk of other junk in the fryer and their just like fair fries which I love! Of course, not everyone is lucky enough to have an In-N-Out near them. Just another reason I'm never moving back to PA.