• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Another Job Related Question

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I am still pretty new to my Celiac condition and I was wondering If my job is or could possibly effect my health negatively. I have been working for a number of fast food pizza chains as an assistant manager (Dominos for 2 years. Donatos - columbus ohio local).

As a manger it was my responsibility to oversee (wheat) dough rolling. I would roll dough in corn mill and stretch it to company regulation. I would handle the majority of the pizzas from start to finish. We were not required to wear gloves as it was impossible for someone to wear gloves and achieve the speed necessary for the position as well as accuracy.

I had recently decided to quit in order to find a job closer to where I live. Since I have management experience in pizza the only employer around that would hire me was Donatos pizza.

Currently I spend my time in a facility that produces a number of sandwiches on white and wheat buns (we are required to wear gloves at this station as we are dealing with raw product. However I am still required to touch dough, load them into a special proofer, and finally top the pizzas. There is no loose cornmill or wheat flour in our kitchen. However I have noticed that some employees touch freezer/walk in refrigerators after they have touched wheat containing products.

I am hoping to receive some information regarding sensitivity. Am I allowed to touch wheat, or work around it daily. Also my fiance is not gluten free and she eats her fill of wheat containing products. Should I ask her to consider becoming gluten free as well? Am I in danger of sickness or poor health due to the both of us working closely with pizza and bringing some of the wheat proteins home with us on our clothes?

It may seem a little dramatic but I feel overrun by "Wheat particles." Some clarification would be nice.

As always thank you for your feedback! :)

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I would not work with any kind of dough! You could be inhaling flour; yes, touching items those have touched can cause cc. I don't even go down the bread isle or flour isle in grocery store unless I absolutely have too!

HI,

Inhaling flour is a possible problem. Flour is a fine dust and gets airborne and doesn't settle right a way. A dust mask might help. If you inhale flour it's in your sinuses and then your throat and then the gut. The problem with touching wheat or other gluten is if you then get it in your mouth. That can happen accidentally by rubbing your face or hair with your hands. If you eat without washing your hands you might get cc'd also. People with DH may need to be more cautious about skin contact though. Your fiance will need to brush her teeth before kissing you if she has been eating gluten.

Great! Thank you all for your advice. I am currently looking for another job, on the other hand I don't flour is a problem because we do not use loose flour as a base for anything. Our thin crust pizzas come pre-covered in corn mill. My biggest issue would be touching the faucet or door handles and then touching my face or mouth. I will continue to wear gloves whenever I am working with or around the product.

Great! Thank you all for your advice. I am currently looking for another job, on the other hand I don't flour is a problem because we do not use loose flour as a base for anything. Our thin crust pizzas come pre-covered in corn mill. My biggest issue would be touching the faucet or door handles and then touching my face or mouth. I will continue to wear gloves whenever I am working with or around the product.

If there is no airborne flour you may be okay. Do wear your gloves or use tongs when handling food or packaging and wash your hands often and as soon as you get home.

Ads by Google:

I would add, have a place to drop your clothing when you get home and then shower. Im guessing you're a go home and shower guy, which is pretty typical of someone who works in a kitchen.

I found that the hardest habit to break was keeping my hands OUT of my mouth. Eating, piece of food stuck, whatever. As long as you are aware of that, it won't matter if it's on your hands, as long as you wash your hands before you touch your face or stick your hands in your mouth.

• Upvote 1

I would probably also periodically get a blood test to see if my body is reacting to gluten. As I understand it, the flour in pizza has a higher gluten content.

I have fond memories of eating the Donatos Founder's Favorite at the High Street restaurant some 25 years ago.

Ads by Google: