This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cat Advice

kareng

kareng Grand Master

I'll put the whole story here in a little later. I have a "rescued" or stolen cat on my lap helping me type. We have never had a cat so I have some questions.

What does it mean when a cat "kneads" or digs with ger front paws on you? I can barely type with this behavior :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
abby03 Contributor

Kneading is a good thing! It's a sign that they're happy and content and if they need on your lap or stomach or somewhere like that then it's a sign of affection. : )

I love when my cat starts kneading and purring haha.

kareng Grand Master

Kneading is a good thing! It's a sign that they're happy and content and if they need on your lap or stomach or somewhere like that then it's a sign of affection. : )

I love when my cat starts kneading and purring haha.

She's not purring. Seems like she is trying. Maybe she doesn't know how? She makes a little throat noise but no vibrating.

Jestgar Rising Star

Some cats don't purr, but kneading is what they did as babies to get milk from Mom, so it's a happy, comforting behavior to them.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Lessons from my cat:

Consider yourself owned. Give it whatever it wants. Sometimes they like you, sometimes they try to kill you. But you always, always do what they want when they want it (or just before - developing psychic cat skills is preferable).

Yes, I loved my cat. Yes, I'm a cat sucker. I'm also a dog sucker but cats obviously see this affliction as a serious character flaw so don't let them know.

bartfull Rising Star

My advice? NEVER feed your cat first thing in the morning or she will start waking you up REALLY early! Wait until you've been up for a couple of hours at least.

Also, when your cat starts walking between your legs or flopping down in front of you as you walk, NEVER stop and pet her. If you do, she will continue to be a tripping hazzard for the rest of her life.

I suffer from both of these problems with my cat. She starts trying to wake me at three in the morning. And it doesn't matter where I plan on putting my foot, she is guaranteed to be there. She is 13 years old and will never change. I am 58 years old and will never change.

I keep telling her that one of these groggy mornings at 3AM, she will trip me on the way to her dish and I will fall, break my neck, land on top if her and squash her flat. They will find us both dead and wonder what happened. :lol:

sora Community Regular

Congratulations! You are now owned by a cat. Enjoy it, they are a treat.

Just wait until he/she starts typing. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WardGirl Rookie

My advice? NEVER feed your cat first thing in the morning or she will start waking you up REALLY early! Wait until you've been up for a couple of hours at least.

You can retrain a cat for this. I successfully retrained our cats from waking me up when I wanted to sleep in. Occasionally you can be the boss of a cat. Occasionally.

Karen, remember this simple rule. Dogs think of you as family, Cats think of you as staff.

GFinDC Veteran

Yep, trying to get more milk off the old milk truck, or in my case, kneading my stomach when I am hurting from CC or something else. Never sure how the cat knows that though.

By the way, you really aren't supposed to be doing something else while the cat is on your lap. Obviously you should be petting or rubbing it's head and back to let it know you are paying attention. Silly human!

Interesting fact, some cats are hollow inside, If you lightly whomp them on the backbone behind the shoulder blades they make a hollow sound. That's also how you can tell the ones that came on the spaceship. Otherwise they look/act just like regular cats. Except at night sometimes they take air samples of your breath for analysis.

Cats need to also inspect any food you are eating to make sure it isn't cat treats. They always seem to think people are stealing their cat treats and eating them. For every meal in fact.

BG (Beyond Grain) cat food is good for them. I think it's better to leave their dry food out always so they can eat whenever they want. But it needs to be on a table or stand if there are woofers around or small childrens.

Silica crystals cat litter is good, it lasts a long time and absorbs lots of odor. No dust either unlike other kinds of litter.

Treats at 5 PM or some other set time are the way to go. Otherwise they may be looking for treats constantly. It's hard to find gluten-free cat treats though, that they will eat anyway.

It's nice that you finally found your true function in life, catering to a cat! :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Cats think of you as staff.

Boy, that's the truth! :P

Karen, the kneading is a soothing thing for cats, as Jess said. I'm so happy you and the wee one found each other :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi Karen so happy to see that you Have this sweet addition your family.

Glad I saw this alert popup on my email so now I can keep track of how you guys are doing

GottaSki Mentor

remember this simple rule. Dogs think of you as family, Cats think of you as staff.

So true....we adopted a teeny-tiny kitty five years ago...she came into the house and took over everyone. She immediately put our 75 pound dog in her place and then trained her to help with mischief when we weren't home. She converted my honey from someone whom disliked cats his entire life to her personal servant.

She is still tiny, but there is no doubt whom is the boss of my three men, our dog, miscellaneous people and pets in the neighborhood and I guess me too!

Enjoy :)

elye Community Regular

Yay, Karen's got a kitteh! I am currently in the employ of two bosses cats......they don't pay overtime, the hours can suck, and it can be a thankless job.. . ..... . .but, amazingly, we adore them. These creatures certainly know what they're doing..... :lol:

kareng Grand Master

Thanks for all the cat advice!

Here's the brief version of how I got her. She lived a couple of blocks over, Cooper & I saw her when we walked and they liked each other. She seemed thin and had burned feet when it was 106 F out. Other neighbors said that the people who live there have a fancy pure-bred cat & dog. When they bought this house, the cat came with it. (She kept leaving her old home & going back). She is an outdoor cat except in the winter. She is completely declawed (front & back). They said that the owners said they couldn't keep her in the house. She put up a big fuss to go out. They sold the house & left Gracie behind.

MY friend had been feeding her. We grabbed her last night when she came to be fed. At my house, She hid for about 15 minutes then went to sit with my 16 yr old son, M, while he played video games. She seems to be well adjusted. She hasn't tried to excape. She likes to look out the windows, so I have pulled up the blinds so she can. Hub put a thing over the screened porch doggy door so she can go out there but she is too comfy sitting on M to go out.

I'll try to get her to the vet in the next few days and hope everything is OK with her.

M says he thinks she has been very lonely and is happy to have company.

She is eating Blue Buffalo grain free chicken and seems Ok with it. Cooper thinks it smells great! If he wasn't so afraid of the basement, I would have to put the food up. I may have to do that because the cat may make him feel safer about the basement.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Sounds like the way lots of people get "catted". It is definitely good you have her inside since she's declawed.

Sounds like she's adjusting well. Best of luck to all of you!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It sounds like she will have a good and loving home. Do keep her inside though. She is fortunate to still be alive if she has been an outdoor kitty with no defenses. She may fuss a bit at first at not being allowed out but she will get over it. When I moved into the house I am in I had 5 cats and we moved them in 2 lots. When my Manxs came, one is in my avatar, they had both been used to being outside whenever they wanted and just came in at night. It took about 2 weeks or so before they stopped begging to be let out but they did stop.

Do take your new addition to the vet as soon as you can and thank you for being so kind as to take in a kitty that sounds like she really needed you.

Oh one last thing, if she starts making funny noises and rolling around and sticking her rear in the air that means she isn't fixed and has gone into heat. She may try even harder to get out then and you may also find male cats sitting under your windows fighting over a possible 'date'.

kareng Grand Master

I just had her out on the screened porch. she didn't try to get out, or be frantic or anything. She looked around & wanted to come back in. I think the people who claimed she wouldn't stay in the house either didn't Fortun want her in the house or thier little dog drove her out. Fortunately, Cooper is very mellow & obedient.

She's probably about 8 years old and no one knows of any kittens. I imagine the first owners who had her claws out would have had her fixed.

IrishHeart Veteran

You. big . softie.

I :wub: you.

Her name is Gracie? wow! That was my beloved Lab's name and I am filled up with tears for you right now---congrats, you've been adopted, K !

Bless you for taking her home and giving her the lovins she deserves. Our Bella--not being cared for by our neighbor at all--- barged into our lives and I am so glad she did. She's not the first one to do it and she probably won't be the last.

Cats do not take NO for an answer. :lol:

When I was little, a neighbor lady told me when a cat does that on your lap, she's telling you that she finds you comfortable. I thought it was because she wanted to play that lady's piano.

I am so happy for you guys--Coop's gonna love her.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I just had her out on the screened porch. she didn't try to get out, or be frantic or anything. She looked around & wanted to come back in. I think the people who claimed she wouldn't stay in the house either didn't Fortun want her in the house or thier little dog drove her out. Fortunately, Cooper is very mellow & obedient.

She's probably about 8 years old and no one knows of any kittens. I imagine the first owners who had her claws out would have had her fixed.

I think you are likely correct. If she has had to be an outdoor kitty she may not want to go out for fear you won't let her back in. Sounds like she will be a very happy housecat and it won't be long before you find her and Cooper curled up together somewhere.

bartfull Rising Star

"I thought it was because she wanted to play that lady's piano."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Hey K,

Maybe you can post a pic when you have time? You've got a bunch of goofball cat lovers here just waiting to go....

AAWWWWW!!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

Karen, remember this simple rule. Dogs think of you as family, Cats think of you as staff.

Ain't that the truth. :lol:

sora Community Regular

I had a cat named Gracie. She was so smart. She would pick up a toy and bring it and put it in your hand and push down. You had to throw it for her and then she would do it again and again.

You will never be catless again.

Jestgar Rising Star

It's likely that much of what you are doing is wrong. Gracie will begin to supervise your activities and may offer guidance with a gentle paw swipe or two.

kareng Grand Master

Apparently, Gracie is done with me. She only has eyes and cuddles for M (16). Last I looked she was sleeping soundly on his chest as he was trying to nap. I'm sure its my fault I didn't cat-nap her years ago and bring her to him.

When he wasn't suitable for sleeping on, She is sleeping on my workbench, on the spongy glass cutting mat,that I doubled over to keep clean. This may be a problem. :blink:

What kind of Kitty treats do you get?

Archived