This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Qestion For Moms & Pet Owners

cap6

cap6 Enthusiast

I have been gluten-free for over 2 years and feel a litle silly asking these questions cause I think that I should know the answers (!!) but here goes:

For mom's for small children:

I don't have small kids, mine are grown and my grandkids are of an age that they understand gluten & protecting me from it. That being said we have started doing activities with my partner's niece, small children (2 & 4) and her family. I would like to love up the kids and they always run to me for hugs & kisses but I pull back because they are always full of crackers, pop tarts etc. How do you handle loving up little gluteny children??

For pet owners:

We currently have three old dogs (14, 15 & 17) so they are not out in public greeting people much, if at all. Tomorrow we pick up a new puppy and I intend to have him out meeting people and of course greeting children. Kids always seems to have a cracker in hand.....how do I handle it when they want to pet my puppy? I don't want gluten smeared all over his head but handing them a hand wipe doesn't seem very friendly either. Am I being too paranoid???

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I see my neice's little guys. I don't worry about a stray crumb on them. At my house they eat gluten free. They are never "covered" in obvious crumbs. If they were, we would brush them off. I don't kiss them on the lips but I do hug them. Living with kids might be different but visits are fine

I let anyone pet my dog. He doesn't have cookies or crackers all over his head. You should not let your puppy close to kids with food in thier hands. Puppies will try to eat it and might accidentally bite a small hand. It also teaches a puppy that its OK to steal food from someone.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

When the kids come to visit, have them wash up with soap and water. Explain it to your partner and her children, and then ask the kids to do it ....and I'm sure it will all work out fine. Just explain it nicely and supervise. They catch on. If it's a situation where the kids are eating gluten and you're around (and I assume it isn't your house) then you're just going to have to be creative about cleaning the little things up or having their parents do it for them. Maybe always take a small container of soap and water with you and hose them down???

I don't worry about people petting my dog. I have random kids in here all the time, and while I don't let them bring food in they all have been into gluten and all have been licked and mauled by the dog. No problems so far. I agree I would not let my dog near anyone with food since that's a guarantee that said food will be stolen.

I do admit to washing MY hands when I'm around kids, for more reasons than gluten!

Adalaide Mentor

I babysit my cousin who is about 18 months old. While he eats whatever he wants at home, he eats gluten free in my house. I don't do face kisses and am sure to wash his hands after he gets here but other than that don't worry too much about it.

On the other hand, I handle other children very differently. In church most toddlers and preschool age children are eating snacks at church. These snacks are almost always crackers, pretzels, cereals, and obviously gluteny foods. I won't touch them, I won't touch their toys to hand them back without getting a tissue first. I just don't go there. I am, frankly, afraid of small children. They are like poison bombs and not worth getting sick for.

Since these kids are family to you I would just talk to whichever parent is bringing them for visits about not bringing snacks along, not letting them eat in the car on the way, making sure they have clean, gluten free clothes on before they leave home, etc. Then you can be comfortable with them and enjoy their company instead of stressing out. I only mention the clean clothes because kids that age can get pretty messy when they eat. I wouldn't want a young kid to be eating lunch then show up at my house ready for playtime. I personally would be paranoid about it, but not everyone would. As long as you can talk to the parents comfortably you should be able to work everything out for pleasant visits.

bigbird16 Apprentice

Congrats on the new pup! Pet stores carry wipes for dogs; if you're worried about a particularly gooey gluteny child smearing his goldfish or cheerio encrusted hands on your pup, you can always wipe him down or bathe him after. I wouldn't worry too much about petting. If my pups find bread on the ground and eat it, I won't let them lick me until they've had a good long drink of water.

Adalaide, I'm like that, too with other people's kids.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I like all the answers you got here. :)

I feel a little paranoid around little kids too.

Nobody gets kisses from me except "air kisses"!

I agree with all of what was said and I especially like Pricklypear's suggestion to have the kids learn to just wash up when they are around you or your puppy. It makes perfect sense if they are old enough to understand and it shouldn't offend anyone.

The only concern I would bring up is the wipes.

They don't get rid of gluten at all.

They just smear it around.

I tried it with my sister's kids.

I got sick.

So washing with running water is really the only way to go.

I think it was PSawyer who said the only things accomplished by hand sanitizer or wipes is that the gluten you ingest is really really clean gluten, but only soap and water get rid of it! :)

Little kids are like the "perfect chronic poison"...so adorable you can't resist, yet covered in gluten! It's like a cruel joke. I used to love little kids and now I view them with caution and respect. Ha! That was said somewhat in jest :D:ph34r:

Oh, and the credit for the phrase "perfect chronic poison" goes to the guy who wrote Wheatbelly. Just to be fair.

red island Newbie

I just try to keep kiddies and pets away from my face (easier said than done sometimes) and I religiously wash my hands before handling my food...and then again just before eating it..and sometimes again in between bites...yes, I know, I've gotten just a little paranoid!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cap6 Enthusiast

I'm not worried about kids in our own home as we offer gluten free snacks and have no problem asking mom's to wash their little hands, it's at their own home or camping etc that i worry about. Thanks for all the feedback.

Archived