This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac, Sex, And Pancreas

Making-A-Change

Making-A-Change Newbie

Hello everyone. I would like to ask a couple of specific questions and hopefully with all the knowledge that is floating around this website, I can get some good answers.

1. Can celiac disease and/or gluten intolerance effect your pancreas function? My husband, who refuses to believe glutens could be my problem, has been diagnosed with pancreas problems but they do not know why its happening and are not completely positive its chronic pancreatitis. I have recently found out that my symptoms are amazingly similar to a lot of the celiac symptoms and have recently been tested...waiting for blood results. Could glutens cause his pancreatic problems?

2. I have been having severe symptoms ever since we got married. 6 years ago, all of my severe symptoms started rearing their ugly heads. No doctor has been able to find out why I am sick so much, and have never mentioned glutens as a culprit. I made them test me this time, since I stumbled upon the gluten blogs, websites etc. So, my question is....

could my husband eating glutens and having sex with me cause a reaction in me? I have read several times on this site about checking your pets food for glutens because they lick you and can affect you. So, can having sex with my husband, with his gluten infused fluid, cause me to react? I have never seen anything posted about this on this site, but was just curious as to the effect it would have on me, since early in our marriage I was wondering if I was ALLERGIC TO MY HUSBAND....any thoughts on these questions would be helpful!~! Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Gluten particles don't float around in the blood stream and become semen if that is what you are asking.

Kissing someone with gluten in thier mouth could get gluten in your mouth.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Celiac can impact pancreatic function or any other organ for that matter. As the previous poster stated your source of CC from your husband would be through him eating gluten and you then kissing. That would apply if you are already gluten free.

Have you talked to your GYN about the possibility of you being allergic to your husbands semen? I think I have heard of this rarely happening. You could also be allergic to something he uses on his body, lotions etc. If you think the semen is an issue then try using a condom and see if you still react.

If you want to be tested for celiac make sure you continue eating gluten until all celiac related testing is done. Celiac usually has a trigger and stresses both good or bad (like planning a wedding) could be a trigger.

Adalaide Mentor

The only thing to be worried about with him causing you problems is where gluten has touched him. He needs to be washing his hands and brushing his teeth before you are intimate. I know it may seem like a mood killer to him but there is nothing quite like running to the bathroom to um.... yeah.... to kill the mood. Totally unrelated to gluten, I do have an acquaintance who is actually allergic to semen and it is possible for this to happen although the symptoms likely wouldn't be the same as gluten symptoms.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

As to the question about the pancreas...a hormone (CCK) is made in the duodenum and is sent to the gallbladder and pancreas telling them to squeeze bile and release digestive enzymes when you eat. If there is damage in the duodenum, which is pretty common in Celiac disease, this hormone may not be made..or the signal is not being sent.

I'm currently taking pancreatic RX enzymes because of this problem. Has your hubby been tested for Ceiac? Has he had an endoscope?

Making-A-Change Newbie

As to the question about the pancreas...a hormone (CCK) is made in the duodenum and is sent to the gallbladder and pancreas telling them to squeeze bile and release digestive enzymes when you eat. If there is damage in the duodenum, which is pretty common in Celiac disease, this hormone may not be made..or the signal is not being sent.

I'm currently taking pancreatic RX enzymes because of this problem. Has your hubby been tested for Ceiac? Has he had an endoscope?

No he hasn't been tested for anything other than pancreatitits. But I was just wondering if this could be an issue with him as well. I have no doubt that I am gluten intolerant but not sure about celiac. His pancreas problems are not easily diagnosed. They know its affected but not sure why. He doesnt have the usual signs. and nothing they do for pancreatitis is working. I was just taking a shot in the dark....

Thanks to everyone who commented!!!

Pac Apprentice

The only thing to be worried about with him causing you problems is where gluten has touched him.

That includes gluten in his soap and other body care products. (

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived