This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cereals Vs Flour Made Breads

SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen Apprentice

Does anyone know the difference between cereals and all other forms of breads? I only know that cereals are not ground to a flour.

I'm asking this because I do NOT have a reaction to cereals yet have a reaction to almost all other forms of breads.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Does anyone know the difference between cereals and all other forms of breads? I only know that cereals are not ground to a flour.

I'm asking this because I do NOT have a reaction to cereals yet have a reaction to almost all other forms of breads.

Your question is too vague to answer. Breads are made with various flours and cereals can be made with anything ranging from Flour to corn to oats etc.... Can't really compare the 2 without being brand specific.

Are you a newly diagnosed Celiac and do you have a question about a particular cereal ?

BTW some cereals start as ground flour and formed into flakes , rings etc..

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Is it possible that you're reacting to the Xangthum gum used in making bread? Some people don't tolerate it well.

SandraLAVixen Apprentice

Your question is too vague to answer. Breads are made with various flours and cereals can be made with anything ranging from Flour to corn to oats etc.... Can't really compare the 2 without being brand specific.

Are you a newly diagnosed Celiac and do you have a question about a particular cereal ?

BTW some cereals start as ground flour and formed into flakes , rings etc..

OP here, let me add some more details to clarify.

I started reacting to breads back in December 2012, and it was acute (sudden), I had eaten breads (anything made from wheat and gluten) all my life.

I tested NEGATIVE for Celiacs, NEGATIVE to all allergies and antigens to gluten and wheat.

However I am still reacting (and by reacting I mean having severe pain an hour later after eating breads and then thrashing and sometimes passing out).

I noticed that I am (currently) NOT allergic to cereals, such as Raisin Bran or Mini Wheats (anything that is NOT ground to a flour).

Wheats that are ground to a flour like pizza dough, baked breads, even semolina in pastas give me a bad reaction and we can not figure out why.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between breads made from ground wheat flour and cereals that are NOT made from flour and do NOT give me a reaction.

Ground corn flour or other NON-wheat flours do NOT give me a reaction.

I'm not sure if I'm allergic to xanthan gum but I will look into it. I have NEVER been allergic to anything before... besides bleach and I have been thinking about the bleaching agents added to "enriched" wheat flour.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Yeast? That would be in most breads but not a whole grain or cereal.

Just because you tested - on a Celiac panel doesn't mean you don't have a gluten issue: Celiac or NCGS. Ditto with allergy.

It might be the high protein (gluten) found in some wheat varieties. Sometimes wheat gluten is added to bread products and I believe semolina is a high protein wheat.

Find some organic non-bromated, unenriched wheat flour and bake some bread? Bake some yeast free bread? You can buy vital wheat gluten and try adding it to something and see if that triggers.

Does this happen with bread you bake at home, currently?

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Yeast? That would be in most breads but not a whole grain or cereal.

Just because you tested - on a Celiac panel doesn't mean you don't have a gluten issue: Celiac or NCGS. Ditto with allergy.

It might be the high protein (gluten) found in some wheat varieties. Sometimes wheat gluten is added to bread products and I believe semolina is a high protein wheat.

Find some organic non-bromated, unenriched wheat flour and bake some bread? Bake some yeast free bread? You can buy vital wheat gluten and try adding it to something and see if that triggers.

Does this happen with bread you bake at home, currently?

What Prickly says make good sense. It looks like you'll have to do a bit of experimenting?

When I mentioned Xangthum gum I thought you were referring to gluten-free breads and cereals. Wheat breads probably wouldn't have it. It's used for texture in gluten-free which is hard to get right without the gluten.

SandraLAVixen Apprentice

Thanks for the insight! :)

No, I have not baked breads at home, do you know how I would go about that to "experiment"? Is there a list of ingredients I should buy, make, and try?

Is yeast only found in wheat bread? Is there yeast in corn or rice-made breads too? I know I am NOT allergic to rice or corn-made anything.

I double checked and I have eaten foods with xangthum gum, no reaction so I don't think it's that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Thanks for the insight! :)

No, I have not baked breads at home, do you know how I would go about that to "experiment"? Is there a list of ingredients I should buy, make, and try?

Is yeast only found in wheat bread? Is there yeast in corn or rice-made breads too? I know I am NOT allergic to rice or corn-made anything.

I double checked and I have eaten foods with xangthum gum, no reaction so I don't think it's that.

You need a recipe for wheat bread, that is raised with yeast.

Most general recipes are wheat breads, raised with yeast.

Just google for a recipe called "easy homemade bread" or something like that.

The key is the flour. You need to find something that meets your elimination criteria - organic, non bromated, etc.

Here, this would be easy: Open Original Shared Link

ciamarie Rookie

Possibly barley? A lot of regular flour has barley (or barley malt?) added to it.

Archived