• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    yankeedebby

• Topics

• I am on constant stuff for my joints, I take Joint support by jarrow for years now, to the point I just take them in my handful of pills twice a day. I also been using collagen supplement powder in my smoothies twice a day. I think my magnesium also helps. I will admit after a recent knee injury I had to take some extra turmeric daily to get the swelling down. Seems to have healed from grapefruit sized to normal and movable in 3 days.
      Some foods, partially if I consume excessive sodium without something to flush me seems to cause a edema issue and joint swelling.
      PS when it gets really cold I have to put on gloves around my house or my fingers all go trigger locky style when it gets too cold. (no heater so during the winter my inside sometimes hits 35-40F ish.)
    • Hey guys...on like week 3 or 4 now I guess.   Hand redness has gotten much worse and so has hand pain. No swelling, just constant redness and pain in finger joints. Knees have very little pain now, and only kick in after LONG periods of inactivity (up to a few hours). The finals arent really helping either in this case. It kinda hurts to even hold a coffee or tea now. And type too. is this still typical this many weeks out of a gluten reaction?    obviouslly a slightly stressed post, but was jw... 
    • Lactose intolerance occurs when you lack the enzyme (called lactase) necessary to properly break down the milk sugar lactose.  That undigested milk sugar cannot enter the body. But it then feeds gut bacteria producing gas, bloating, discomfort/pain.   There are no extra intestinal symptoms (this is an important point). However, gut dysbiosis can ultimately be the result of lactose  intolerance (or any sugar intolerance).  Two things have been demonstrated to increase zonulin production (which opens the tight junctions, resulting in leaky gut): Gluten and Bacteria. SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth), which can occur because of lactose intolerance, is essentially a bacterial infection of the small intestines and results in increased intestinal permeability (AKA leaky gut). SIBO can also damage the villi, making your ability to break down foods more compromised, feeding the SIBO/leaky gut cycle.  With leaky gut you now have large proteins entering the bloodstream illicitting an immune response.  This is the cause of the extra intestinal symptoms and other protein intolerances.    Its also worth noting that there is a fairly high prevalence of SIBO in those with celiac disease. See this very informative lecture given by Dr. Fasano on the topic of intestinal permeability: Zonulin, intestinal permeability and immune mediated disorders: facts and fantasies https://cellsciencesystems.com/education/webinars/zonulin-intestinal-permeability-and-immune-mediated-disorders-facts-and-fantasies/  
    • They didnt have powder or liquid so i bought 1000mg of B-12 and 500mg of Magnesium, hope it works! I also have a blood panel scheduled. Thanks everyone! 
    • BrittanyM et al, I just wanted to post this thread that might answer some of your questions about Casein/Dairy JMG had a similar question. It has two livestrong links in it that explains well about the different kinds of Casein proteins. I did not know there "types" of the casein protein but like you I knew I was reacting to dairy. https://www.livestrong.com/article/495564-what-is-sodium-caseinate/ https://www.livestrong.com/article/396733-types-of-casein-protein/ according to livestrong you are out of luck if can't live without cheese if indeed casein is your problem and not lactose. from livestrong " There is no way to make cheese free of casein proteins. Do not eat cheese if you’ve been diagnosed with a milk allergy." but there are lactose free cheeses and they will be labeled so like the gluten free things are. I think the study Knitty Kitty linked studied Cow's Milk . .. it might be you don't react the same to goat's milk or goat cheese since these casein's are different from CM's caseins' according to livestrong. who knew right? I hope this is helpful. posterboy,
  • Upcoming Events