This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Help For The Itching, Stinging, Burning, Pain Of Dh

squirmingitch

squirmingitch Veteran

I thought we should have a thread devoted to this subject. That way we can link to it for newbies instead of typing it all out again each & every time. I'm going to list the things I can remember people saying helped them. You all can expand on the thoughts/techniques.

Hot water irritates dh so shower or bathe with the coolest water you can stand.

Witch hazel helps to cool off dh especially after the shower or bath.

Ice packs on dh.

Vanicream is gluten-free & moisturizes, especially when the crusts/scabs are rampant. If you put Vanicream in the fridge it really helps cool when it goes on. Cromolyn cream is a combo of Vanicream & Nasalcrom which helps with the itch, sting, burn, pain of dh. Recipe is here:

Open Original Shared Link

Walgreens pain relieving ointment works great; contains 20% benzocaine. Orajel also contains same ingredient.

CVS Calamine Plus itch relief (pink).

Benadryl Extra Strength Itch Stopping Gel.

If you have spots that are isolated from others enough; you can put vaseline or neosporin on the spot & cover tightly with a band aid. It will itch, sting or burn intermittently for a day or two & then stop as long as you keep the band aid on it.

Sun seems to irritate dh so avoid getting sun on those areas.

Sweat or getting overheated makes the dh rage so try not to get it fired up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciamarie Rookie

Good idea for this thread, squirming

Ok, I'll add mine. On the back of my knees I used some body lotion with tea tree oil that took away the itch long enough for me to get to sleep some nights. If I had known about the vanicream or others, I might have tried that instead.

Also, when I had it on my face several years ago, I thought it was some sort of adult acne, and using proactive solution did clear it up enough to not look like a freak show. :unsure: Then I used calamine lotion in the evenings to help relieve some of the itch.

squirmingitch Veteran

This is exactly what we need ciamarie!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Topical corticosteroids brought mine down - reduced swelling and seeping but I think it interfered with healing. So, use at your own risk.

I am an ice pack person.

Pressure/compression helps when the blisters are swelling and popping. DON'T RUB. Roll a towel up and press on the area.

I had to keep mine moisturized 24/7; the need increased with the age of the sores. Vaseline helps when they are sloughing off.

I had the "blanket of rash" effect instead of individual lesions. This created a lot of scabbing. When in the shower I'd let them get soft then gently rub the scabs with my hands - whatever was ready to come off would peel off. I literally shed.

I could not use anything harsh: no alcohol, menthol, natural salt deoderant, etc. my skin would literally smolder. The rash would get raw.

My rash was under my arms, Suave unscented deoderant didn't seem to irritate the rash. Vanicream was my lotion of choice, coupled with Vaseline periodically.

cindylou7 Apprentice

I've used tea tree oil too and found relief. Surprised at the post about sun exposure...I thought it was just me! A trip to Hawaii brought out a painful ugly blistering rash on my forehead that everyone could see! Very embarrassing.

greensleeve Newbie

The only thing that has helped (minus steroid cream) has been manuka honey. Manuka honey is a mono-floral honey from New Zealand. The bees gather pollen from the manuka bushes in a particular region of the country and make the manuka honey. It is supposed to have antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. I read about it on a natural skincare blog thought why not give it a try.

I bought my jar of honey at a health food store. I mix about a tbsp of honey with several drops of bottled water (makes spreading easier) and rub it onto my face. I wear this as a mask for 2-3 hours while I work around the house. It was sticky and weird at first, but I am used to it now. It has made my skin smoother, less inflamed, and I see fewer bumps when I use it consistently. It also reduces the itching. I currently use this 3-4 times per week. Yes, it is a bit of a pain to do this, but I was desperate for a solution for these awful bumps on my face. It will be more difficult to use on some parts of the body, but perhaps it could be covered with a bandage or dressing during treatment.

I have only used manuka honey and cannot vouch for the efficacy of other types of honey.

jmb002 Newbie

Oh my gosh Sqirmingitch, it is like it was me talking! I have been saying for weeks whenever I exercise my rash flares up, whenever I sweat my rash flares up.....even taking a hot bath my rash flares up! Crazy! This thread is a great idea! Thanks! :)

Jenn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Oh my gosh Sqirmingitch, it is like it was me talking! I have been saying for weeks whenever I exercise my rash flares up, whenever I sweat my rash flares up.....even taking a hot bath my rash flares up! Crazy! This thread is a great idea! Thanks! :)

Jenn

Yes, & I wonder if the sun thing is not due necessarily to the sun itself but due to us getting heated by the sun. Sorta makes it hard to get our Vit D from the sun.mad.gif

OnTheBrighterSide:) Newbie

My DH is on my face sometimes its so inflammed i wont go out in public.

Things that flare my DH

Sun ,heat, humidity and exercising.

Especially if need to be somewhere on time and start to get anxious about being late. I really flare up. I beleive stress makes mine worse

Some things that work for and things I would not recommend.

calamine lotion pink works (but sometimes dries it out to much)

cold compresses dry (i wrap a thin sheet type material. around an ice pack)

If you are going to be in the heat try to prevent the sweat/perspiration from staying on your skin for to long. I usually bring a cotton handkerchief and keep dabbing off areas that seem to get perspiration (yes,they still sell handkerchiefs and they work great because they are so thin.) If you have areas on your face that you want to cover up with makeup let me know I found a few that won't irritate my DH.

Cortisone works at first but can cause problems later i would N O T recommended using it on your face though.

My experiences and research on cortisone.

I believe 1% is the maximum strength for the face - beyond that you risk permanent damage. Cortisone cream applied to the face has also been linked to people developing permanent infections, or conditions which will cause repeat infections. I have been dealing with this on my face for over 10 years. And at first cortisone on my face worked great but when i stopped,it cames back with revenge. I had to ween my self off if it. Cortisone ointments and creams can cause increased facial hair growth if they are used frequently. These products are not intended for regular, long-term use and they used to be available by prescription only for this reason. I wish i. would have know this 10 years ago.

DAPSONE RX. 2 25 mg a day. For inflammation and itching so it can heal. I jusy started taking it the second week in september2012 works wonderful on the itching and brought down inflammation. But I developed a bad chest and head cold along with fever and chills after 6 days. The doctor said to stop taking temporary to make sure it was a reaction or it could of been the flu. I only stopped for a day and a half and i can feel the inflammation starting up. I think I will start it up again and only take 25 mg instead of 50 mg like the pharmacy recommended. I' ll keep you posted.

Drink as much water you can.

Staying on a gluten free diet cutting out dairy and using gluten free things on skin and hair helps keeps it under control

Sorry so long

Anianna Newbie

A friend of mine sent me colloidal silver to try topically (in a little spray bottle). I find that it reduces the blisters very well and reduces discomfort slightly, but not much else. I don't find any research on the matter and this is just my personal experience.

Regarding the sun, there are several companies that make sunblock clothing. I have a long-sleeve wrap designed for summer wear and a hat that are both sunblock rated and I find those help.

• 1 month later...
sisterlynr Explorer

My DH is on my face sometimes its so inflammed i wont go out in public.

Things that flare my DH

Sun ,heat, humidity and exercising.

Especially if need to be somewhere on time and start to get anxious about being late. I really flare up. I beleive stress makes mine worse

Some things that work for and things I would not recommend.

calamine lotion pink works (but sometimes dries it out to much)

cold compresses dry (i wrap a thin sheet type material. around an ice pack)

If you are going to be in the heat try to prevent the sweat/perspiration from staying on your skin for to long. I usually bring a cotton handkerchief and keep dabbing off areas that seem to get perspiration (yes,they still sell handkerchiefs and they work great because they are so thin.) If you have areas on your face that you want to cover up with makeup let me know I found a few that won't irritate my DH.

Cortisone works at first but can cause problems later i would N O T recommended using it on your face though.

My experiences and research on cortisone.

I believe 1% is the maximum strength for the face - beyond that you risk permanent damage. Cortisone cream applied to the face has also been linked to people developing permanent infections, or conditions which will cause repeat infections. I have been dealing with this on my face for over 10 years. And at first cortisone on my face worked great but when i stopped,it cames back with revenge. I had to ween my self off if it. Cortisone ointments and creams can cause increased facial hair growth if they are used frequently. These products are not intended for regular, long-term use and they used to be available by prescription only for this reason. I wish i. would have know this 10 years ago.

DAPSONE RX. 2 25 mg a day. For inflammation and itching so it can heal. I jusy started taking it the second week in september2012 works wonderful on the itching and brought down inflammation. But I developed a bad chest and head cold along with fever and chills after 6 days. The doctor said to stop taking temporary to make sure it was a reaction or it could of been the flu. I only stopped for a day and a half and i can feel the inflammation starting up. I think I will start it up again and only take 25 mg instead of 50 mg like the pharmacy recommended. I' ll keep you posted.

Drink as much water you can.

Staying on a gluten free diet cutting out dairy and using gluten free things on skin and hair helps keeps it under control

Sorry so long

Would like to keep in contact with you. I started Dapsone around the 19th of October 2012. I also started a diet of gluten free and Iodine free that same day per my doctor's request. I see great improvement but am not completely itch free. Has Dapsone taken all of your itch away?

I find ice does help with relief

I take Benadryl almost everyday, especially at night time to help with sleep.

I like Sarna lotion as it calms the itch

Witch Hazel is soothing

Apple Cider Vinegar (diluted) is soothing and helps with inflammation

Using Argan ointment and healing lotion

• 4 weeks later...
Darkfire Ann Newbie

I have a few more.

I have a compound w/ and w/out steroids. Using Moisturel, Menthol, Triamcinolone, Jojoba, Tea Tree, Aloe and a tad of 91% alcohol to melt the menthol. Take out the Triamcinolone and it's steroid free. My Derm added Phenol and charged me $50 bucks. I made a gallon for about $15 bucks minus the Phenol. I keep some in the fridge, some at my desk, some by the bed, etc. Cera Ve is the closest to Moisturel if you cannot find it or want something a little cheaper.

I need so much moisture it is frightening. I have gone through so many tubes of three different steroids it's a wonder I have skin. I am not sure any of them work.

When I am at my wits end and bleeding I get in the shower. I use self made lye soap. Simple recipe with no scent and it burns so bad I scream. I ONLY use what I make, hair, body and face. NO commercial soap, poos of any kind. I deal with the the skin sloughing off then immediately use Hibiclins and it calms the pain. Also, I cannot shave under my arms or use deodorant so the Hibiclins keeps me smelling nice.

I layer treatments. Some do not spread well some do. I layer a menthol lotion with a thick steroid ointment then a poison ivy spray on top to numb my skin so I stop tearing it up. I have to keep moisturizing because every numbing treatment is drying. The Poison Ivy Spray is Walgreens brand and has Menthol, Camphor, Benzyl Alcohol and Zinc in it. It numbs and dries, as poison ivy is weepy. Well this Dh weeps too but I am also so dry.

My derm has me using Aquaphor on my hands, elbows, and back. It does protect a little. The PA-C at the derm wanted me to bathe in the stuff but it was no use.

Taclonex worked on the back of my scalp and over my ears. Even though it is for Psoriasis I tested negative on two biopsies for Psoriasis. My derm gave it to me for free as it is a HUGELY expensive medication. A little goes a long way. Like one treatment every other day for a week helped ALOT. Sadly I am cross reacting to something so it's coming back. It is pretty much pure oil. Also, Oil licious by Got 2 B works amazingly for the scalp itch and back of the neck, ears.

I pretty much wear pajama pants or leggings and faux fur slippers or flip flops with sports bras under soft tunics 24/7 with soft socks cut into arm/hand warmers. I had to buy a new wardrobe and new comforters. Faux fur is like heaven to me.

I keep my nails trimmed to the quick and painted trying to limit the damage but I cannot control it. I wake up scratching, I remove gloves in my sleep. Stopping the itch scratch cycle is not possible for me right now.

I welcome any suggestions. I am new here.

Once I can post pictures you will see I am a really BAD case and it started in August 2012. I am almost to the point of being hospitalized.

Darkfire Ann Newbie

For visual folks here is a picture of the compound I tweaked from my derm. To one 15gr tube of steroids I use 1 bottle of moisturel and 3 grams of menthol crystals. That's right THREE GRAMS. That is ALOT of menthol, trust me. The alcohol is only to melt the menthol as it is soluble in alcohol. It is partially soluble in glycerin as well but it was easier just to use alcohol. This is the basic recipe and is kept in the fridge. It works for itching but you still need a moisturizer on top of this.

196147_531210516907097_250405016_n.webp

squirmingitch Veteran

Here are some things that are NOT good for the dh.

NSAID's such as Advil & Aleve make the dh go crazy. I find that even Tylenol, if I'm not extremely judicious, will make my dh flare.

I have also recently discovered that Vit C ( at least the pills) makes my dh go nuts! I have tested this & it really affects me.

Darkfire Ann Newbie

Here are some things that are NOT good for the dh.

NSAID's such as Advil & Aleve make the dh go crazy. I find that even Tylenol, if I'm not extremely judicious, will make my dh flare.

I have also recently discovered that Vit C ( at least the pills) makes my dh go nuts! I have tested this & it really affects me.

I am fighting with this as a chronic pain patient in severe pain and trying to manage. Not to mention scarfing down vit c pills with my iron pills because I am in bad shape iron wise. Due to dye allergies and Tylenol allergies all my meds are prescription. At this point I do not know what to do. One step at a time. No more steroid creams, letting my body get over that. Coming into Day three, still insane.

squirmingitch Veteran

You may not believe me but a ton of your chronic pain could be from celiac. I don't care what they dx'd you with pain wise ---- a lot or all could be from celiac.

I was dx'd with DJD & DDD & was getting epidurals. Since going gluten-free --- haven't needed one. One yr. gluten-free now. Can't EVEN believe the difference!!!!! I was having such horrid, horrid pain! It was pain so bad it was like having a broken bone & no pain meds. The pain was so bad opiates didn't touch it. The only thing I could do was ice packs until I got so numb I couldn't feel anything. I know that damages tissue but I didn't care --- I had to have some relief! That was before the epidurals. It was any portion of my body. Arm, leg, shoulder, knee, foot, hand, wrist, between elbow & wrist, shin, hips, neck, you name it.

And yes, I have the MRI's to prove I have spine/disc problems but I can't believe the diff. since gluten-free. Once in a while now I will get an area that flares but it isn't anywhere near like it used to be & it doesn't last as long either. It used to last 4 - 8 days & now it's 1 or 2.

ou drink

You need to talk to the doc about getting iron injections instead of the pills. How about instead of taking vit C pills you drink apricot nectar? Not as rough on your tummy, you get 100% Vit C & not as apt to aggravate the dh.

Darkfire Ann Newbie

You may not believe me but a ton of your chronic pain could be from celiac. I don't care what they dx'd you with pain wise ---- a lot or all could be from celiac.

I was dx'd with DJD & DDD & was getting epidurals. Since going gluten-free --- haven't needed one. One yr. gluten-free now. Can't EVEN believe the difference!!!!! I was having such horrid, horrid pain! It was pain so bad it was like having a broken bone & no pain meds. The pain was so bad opiates didn't touch it. The only thing I could do was ice packs until I got so numb I couldn't feel anything. I know that damages tissue but I didn't care --- I had to have some relief! That was before the epidurals. It was any portion of my body. Arm, leg, shoulder, knee, foot, hand, wrist, between elbow & wrist, shin, hips, neck, you name it.

And yes, I have the MRI's to prove I have spine/disc problems but I can't believe the diff. since gluten-free. Once in a while now I will get an area that flares but it isn't anywhere near like it used to be & it doesn't last as long either. It used to last 4 - 8 days & now it's 1 or 2.

ou drink

You need to talk to the doc about getting iron injections instead of the pills. How about instead of taking vit C pills you drink apricot nectar? Not as rough on your tummy, you get 100% Vit C & not as apt to aggravate the dh.

Part of it, YES. It could have made my spine weak but I have 5 MRI's confirming cervical spinal stenosis requiring surgery and am at 9MM in one part of my spinal canal I get to 5MM and I have no choice, they will do the surgery with or without my consent as I won't be able to walk. I have five+ herniated discs one is a vertical herniation too not the normal kind. I have nerve damage all the way down my left arm, confirmed with nerve conduction and EMG studies. So maybe It has weakened my spine but it is not JUST Celiac aches and pains. Yes I have DDD too and more medical terms I can't remember. They cannot and I won't let them shoot me up. People died recently from some shots. My husband will probably punch the next doctor that even hints at sticking a needle in my back unless I have no choice but to have surgery. I was clean for a year and in the same amount of pain. I was clean before for years with the same pain. The EXTRA joint pain, oh yes I KNOW that is Celiac. I even white knuckled the pain for a year until an earthquake put me on the floor again and since then two car accidents one rear end one head on(none our fault)....yah I am back on pain meds. Neck damage doesn't even hurt most people until they need surgery. Mine is so bad sometimes my throat collapses because there isn't enough muscle to keep everything in the right place. They can't unwind the muscles in my neck and shoulders with two muscle relaxers and massage because my spine is so damaged the muscles have no choice but to contort to hold up my head. lets not even talk about the headaches shall we...ug. I am 39 yrs old on Medicare. It is sad sad sad.

I need dried apricots for lots of good things. It's just hard to eat until late. Juice is harder for me, but I even have the apricots and I like them but my eating is so weird. Ok I guess I am so scared I don't eat until I am ready to pass out. Right now the doctors will not do a thing until the steroids are out of me. Blood work is useless and they won't touch me without more tests. So I have two choices, the ER or treat as I can for a bit. Pretty much the standard answer is go to the ER. MY PCP is worse than useless. My neuro is doing all she can and the Derm is ready to admit me to the hospital. None of these options are good for me. SO I ....I dunno. New PCP is on the horizon trying to find a Celiac trained doctor right now. Husband is helping me scour through doctor profiles.

I do know Celiac can do lots of harm but blaming my entire medical profile on one thing, Celiac, Menopause, Failed Surgery, Mental Illness, - all cannot be true and is dangerous. We run the risk of missing something important, like they did and I ended up this way. It cannot be all attributed to Mental Illness and Celiac...or Menopause but the doctors want to pin all of my problems on one thing and it has caused me to lose countless hours, dollars, my ability to work and many many tears.

I do thank you for all your knowledge. It helps so much. Please don't stop. Please do not think I am disagreeing with you. I do know glutening myself made it worse....not to mention 150 pounds is hard on the joints too:(

squirmingitch Veteran

Okay. I'm not going to stop dear. I don't think you are disagreeing with me & even if you did ..... it's not against the law. :lol: Good things can come from hearty discussions batting things back & forth.

Oh I know the let's blame everything on menopause diagnosis. AND the "let's put you on antidepressants!" Very gleefully said & with a crazed look in their eyes. :huh: And how many people on this board who have been told countless times the same things!!!!!!!

And I am not denying you have legitimate pain from damage in the accidents, just plain life & DDD. What I am saying is that I think you will be amazed at how much pain will go away in time, gluten-free, & healing from gluten damage. Let me term it another way ---- despite the experiences I read on this board I never thought so much of my pain would go away simply from being gluten-free. I have been surprised!!!! Verily! I am surprised your neuro isn't apparently aware of just how much gluten affects the neurological aspect.

Have you checked the forum here for good docs in your area? And if you don't find anything there then POST there saying you're looking for a good this or that doc in your area. Also local celiac support groups can be a wealth of information in that regard.

And I understand & agree that it's not smart to blame everything in your medical profile on celiac & possibly missing something important in the process.

But rest assured that healing does happen. Healing takes time but it DOES happen! You can bank on that one. :)

I sincerely hope that one year from now I will see you posting about how much better your life is than it was one year earlier. There have been many, many who have done so & it is wonderful to read the stories.

Now, I want to address the issue of you eating or rather being afraid to eat or maybe terrified to eat. Honey, You CAN'T be afraid of food! Do not let that devil paranoia take you down!!!!! :ph34r: Do not let it terrorize you. If you do then you are lost. You have to stand up straight, head up, shoulders back & scream that demon down. Go ahead, I dare you. ;)

Do not wait until you're about to faint to eat. Eat regular meals. Not eating like you're doing is not helping to get the weight off. Eating regular meals WILL.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Hi all,

I haven't been on the forum since May so it is nice to return with some good news. In May of 2011 I was working in a bakery and after about 6 months I became ill with another sinus infection. I had a few days off sick. First day back at work and six hours later the aweful itch which had started at my feet had made it's way all the way to my head. I didn't work another day at the bakery. So then I was unemployed and covered in that evil head to toe.

For me (living near Canberra, Australia) the doctors were hopeless, pointless or unaffordable.

(Tip 1: get on here and find out reliable doc's and specialists asap)

Initially but only briefly I was confused and in denial that such a staple or even food was to blame.

(Tip 2: Do lots of research and reading. If you suspect or know gluten is the problem read all you can.)

So I removed gluten from my diet but kept a gluten house.

(Tip 3: Don't do this. I haven't read or heard of anyone on this forum (with DH) who claims to keep a gluten house and deal with DH)

So May to about July/August 2011 I continue to suffer head to toe with little improvement. Lots of other issues resolve (brainfog, intenstinal, nerve spasms etc etc). So after much discussion with my then 9 y/o son (single mum) he convinced me that gluten had to go.

(Tip 4: Get your household on board. Educate them. )

So the house is gluten free and I'm learning how to read labels, what gluten free products are available where etc. Still itching head to toe. By this stage I'm literally going mad with lack of sleep despite the help of this forum and its amazing support.

(Tip 5: I would have been doped, forced sleep in an asylum without ice packs - the soft flexible ones rotating in/out of the freezer all night - wet soft towels and Canberra winter)

In October 2011 I went to Sydney for my sisters 40th. First time away from home. I was terrified. And I had a massive resurgence of the itch probably due to the 'corn flour' or cc in the only restaurant I ate at.

(Tip 6: When travelling have everything ready - esky (cooler?), ice packs, fruit, gluten free products - otherwise do your homework - what shops, restaurants are going to be available etc. )

When I got home I went room by room and got rid of bags and bags of stuff (esp laundry and bathroom). I removed all processed food from my diet.

(Tip 7: By processed I mean ALL. No salt/pepper, dried / canned / in plastic - ALL. I ate only fresh meat, veg and fruit. No nuts or grains at all.)

And so the itch started to settle. Slowly, slowly, slowly

(Tip 8: I know how hard it is but be patient, breath and drink a crap load of water. I drink probably 2-3 litres a day I think it is an important key to the puzzle)

By December 2011 I was starting to see a big difference. And so I started to reintroduce. Started with the basics, salt/pepper, rice. Then rice only products ((only made in Thailand - reduced risk of cc in factory - Aussie rice made me vomit literally))

(Tip 9: Introduce one product/ingredient at a time and wait a few days. Try it again. Third time lucky :) For me this includes laundry/bathroom. )

It has been trial and error ever since but I have found some great curry mixes, reliable brands, yummy grain free bread (Deeks here in Canberra) etc etc. My diet is probably 95% fresh on a bad day and many days are 100%.

From trial and error I have discovered that iodine doesn't have much effect unless very high over time, salicylates are a big problem but accumulative (the more I have over time the worse the itch - for me I have to exclude corn as much as possible).

In May I started working in childcare. I was a bit worried about meal times and gluten laddened hands on 20 x 2 year olds but I am very cautious and the people I work with are very understanding. I use a lot of disposal gloves at work and at home.

(Tip 10: Even gluten free products you use at home/work can be drying and/or abrasive - try to avoid contact with any chemical/abrasive products)

I itch occasionally now - a few spots here and there and nothing nearly as intense - nothing like the 12 months of hell. My intense and selfish regime of the last 18 months has seemed like a life time but it has given me my life back. I can work full time, I can play with my son, I can sleep, I can have coffee and a treat with friends and Mum at Deeks (though other restaurants are still and may remain off limits).

Sorry this one is a bit long but the journey has been too and I thought others might like to know how it's been and that it has worked for me.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Oh and one final tip: don't work in a bakery ;)

mushroom Proficient

Nice to see you back with the good news that you have conquered your food demons :) Newbies may not appreciate what effort you have put into this, but those who know, KNOW. Well Done!!! Ditto for your son.

And, you have so many good tips to share. I am so happy for you.

squirmingitch Veteran

It's been a long road for you Diane. It's good to hear you're almost done itching!

EM-MV Newbie

For me, popping the blisters is not only satisfying but makes the area less itchy and start to heal. I wait until they get to the perfect hardness. Sometimes the blister fills right back up, for as much as a day. Does anyone else find this to be true?

Also, in the summer I was able to get big spears of aloe. I kept it in the fridge and would put it on itchy areas. Worked very well.

I've also found tea tree oil to help with itching.

squirmingitch Veteran

I think most of us pop the blisters. I know mine feel like I'm being stung by fire ants & you will naturally end up scratching & eventually pop it but after living with dh I have found, for me, that popping them ends the fire ant sensation for a few hours then the intense itching sets in. I have tried letting the blisters run their course & they fill so much they end up bursting themselves --- doesn't matter ---- the all consuming itch still happens. No, I have not found healing to begin from popping the blisters. Healing, for me, seems to just take it's own sweet time. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Darkfire Ann Newbie

I can get Aloe spears longer than my arm all year round for .99 cents a pop. I was using them before but it didn't seem to help. I might try again and put them in the fridge to cool me off. Thanks for the reminder I am having a bad night. And to the scratch to the root. Well it works for me on some of them. I mean dig past the blood and they weep clear fluid and keep digging and then it healed. Happened on a few spots but I am covered head to toe. So one or two healed blisters is not a win to me.

Archived