This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gi Or Nutritionist/allergist? Which Would Be Better?

Pegleg84

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Hi all

So, while I have so far avoided any real testing aside from initial screening for Celiac a few years ago (I'm technically self-diagnosed, with clear evidence), I think it's time I was properly tested/screened for the other food intolerances that are popping up. I seem to be intolerant to casein, soy, and possibly eggs, quinoa, and who knows what else.

For those who have gone through this, would you recommend I see a GI to checking things out from the gut angle, or to see an allergist/immunologist/nutritionist/naturalist (they all seem to blend together these days) to test/figure out what I'm actually sensitive to and what to be done from a diet angle.

Also, any advice on reliable testing for intolerances?

I live in Toronto, Canada, have pretty good health insurance. A GI would likely be covered by medicare if I was referred. I'd have to look into whether my insurance will cover allergist/etc.

FYI, I have never had an endoscopy done to test for Celiac (vili damage). I didn't want to wait for the test when I went on the gluten-free diet. Now, the last thing I want to do is ruin 3 years of healing by doing a gluten challenge to get proper testing done.

I am willing to go back on milk/soy/etc for testing purposes.

Thank you!

Peggy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

There are no medical tests for food intolerances that I am aware of.

If you can limit your diet initially to things you know are safe foods for you (plain, whole foods, not processed), and then add additional foods one at a time while keeping a food and symptom diary, you should be able to identify the suspects. Of course you drop everything you react to. You might try testing the major food allergens first before moving on to the other lesser known problem foods. This is the only sure-fire way I know. An allergist can only test for allergies, and food intolerances and allergies are most often not co-existent (although they may be - i.e., some celiacs are also allergic to wheat, for example).

Celiacs often show a response to many foods in allergy testing that they are not actually allergic to, just reactive, Some posters have used this testing as a basis for what foods to test first on their elimination diet. If you are not able to eat a food currently, it does not mean you will never be able to eat it.

When you first went gluten free, did you use probiotics/digestive enzymes/L-glutamine or other means to heal up your leaky gut. If new intolerances are still popping up it might be a sign that your gut is not properly healed and additional foods are leaking into your blood stream in a partially digested state. The place to start is with the gut when it comes to preventing food intolerances. (from personal experience :rolleyes: ).

Archived