This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Buy Kraft?

scarlet-willow

scarlet-willow Rookie

"However you should know that we do not guarantee that our products are gluten-free because we sometimes purchase flavoring, color or spice ingredients from suppliers who do not list every possible source of gluten beyond what is required by law.

We do not have a list of gluten-free products and, unless labeled as such, do not guarantee that our products are gluten-free. Formulations and ingredients change too frequently to ensure that such lists are always up-to-date and accurate."

source: Open Original Shared Link

Would you feel comfortable eating anything from Kraft after reading this? I am really thinking of not buying any of their products anymore. But it isn't going to be easy! They make everything from my mustard to my baking chocolates!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Yes, I buy Kraft, and they are one of the manufacturers that I prefer to buy from.

They are totally honest about their products. In most cases, they do not test for possible contamination by an outside supplier. But they will not hide any known source of gluten--it will be clearly disclosed on the label.

As mainstream food companies go, Kraft is as good as it gets. Very few test, and those who do not test cannot "guarantee" anything.

Other suppliers who can be trusted to disclose any gluten source are Open Original Shared Link

shadowicewolf Proficient

I trust kraft over many other brands, so yes i would.

Juju71 Newbie

This is very helpful. I have had the hardest time trying to determine if their 2% deli deluxe American slices are gluten free. I found nothing that says they ate or are not.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Yep . . . Kraft consumers here with no problems.

cavernio Enthusiast

I don't buy Kraft products for the same paragraph you posted. Well, I'd buy their guaranteed gluten-free stuff, not that I've ever seen it. Also there are multiple stories on here about Kraft representatives saying a product contains gluten even though the ingredient list says it doesn't.

kareng Grand Master

I have never seen a cheese in the US with gluten except a specialty beer cheese. There is no reason to think there would be gluten in the cheese. Most food is not "guaranteed" gluten free. Most companies do not test for gluten so they will not say it is gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

The cheese is gluten-free. And I'll join the chorus of people who buy Kraft. They were one of the first companies to say they would list all gluten and all you need do is read the ingredients. The reality is that very. very few companies have nay sort of ironclad guarantee about gluten. It's just not possible unless you control the whole chain for every single ingredient you use.

richard

jerseyangel Proficient

I also buy Kraft products--I like their labeling policy.

IrishHeart Veteran

Kraft is okay by me, too. Never had a problem and I appreciate their labeling practices.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I buy and always have and have never had any trouble with them.

mommida Enthusiast

I prefer Kraft over some other brands because they are honest in labeling. Even though the statement is not comforting, it is the truth. To the best of the companies knowledge, all gluten will be listed in the ingredients.

bartfull Rising Star

Yep. I am a fan of Kraft foods. I trust them, and I like the quality of their products.

GottaSki Mentor

I buy kraft products all the time. There are many that I can no longer eat because of other food intolerances - which makes me believe that some of the reports of people reacting to Kraft products are caused by an unknown intolerance rather than gluten. I know in my early days I was convinced a few things had gluten in them when it was actually a different ingredient causing the reaction.

As with any processed food - read the label each time - ingredients change - but Kraft's gluten policy is one of the best and I continue to feel safe purchasing their items for the gluten-free members of my family.

BabsV Enthusiast

I've been using Kraft projects since I returned to the States in June and haven't noticed any problems that I can pinpoint -- and I've been slowly adding in one new food at a time so I can monitor possible reactions.

mbrookes Community Regular

Part of the reason for the slight ambiguity in the Kraft statement is the litigious society we live in. Sue for anything. Go for the big bucks. For this reason, many companies will not say their products are gluten free, even when to the best of their knowledge they are.

• 1 month later...
mamaofaceliac Newbie

There are so many blogs and Celiac sites praising Kraft for their labeling, giving us parents of newly diagnosised celiacs a false sense of assurance in their products. Only after going on their website did I see their ambiguous statement about not guaranteeing that their manufactures/ suppliers do not use gluten. Today we called and were told not to use any of their products with the terms natural and artificial colors and flavors, and spices. Seriously Kraft needs to step up and hold their suppliers accountable. So no, I will no longer by Kraft.

sa1937 Community Regular

There are so many blogs and Celiac sites praising Kraft for their labeling, giving us parents of newly diagnosised celiacs a false sense of assurance in their products. Only after going on their website did I see their ambiguous statement about not guaranteeing that their manufactures/ suppliers do not use gluten. Today we called and were told not to use any of their products with the terms natural and artificial colors and flavors, and spices. Seriously Kraft needs to step up and hold their suppliers accountable. So no, I will no longer by Kraft.

Just curious, who did you call that told you not to use any Kraft products with those ingredients?

Honestly, if you don't feel comfortable buying Kraft products, don't. Plain and simple. A lot of us do consume Kraft products without issue and trust them as far as their labeling is concerned.

bartfull Rising Star

ALL companies change sources for their ingredients depending on price and availability. If you don't trust Kraft, you had better not eat ANY processed foods.

As for me, while I don't eat a lot of processed foods, I have eaten Kraft products since I started gluten-free a year and a half ago, and I have never had a problem with any of them.

kareng Grand Master

No company, unless they are testing for gluten, can guarantee their products. As far as they know, every ingredient they purchase is what it says it is. I use Kraft products with no issues.

For others, reading this thread.....in the last few months, there have been a number of people, some on this forum, some on other forums and FB pages, bashing Kraft products. Most of them post only once or twice on each site.

cavernio Enthusiast

Nope. If they decide to call something gluten-free then I will. I don't get easily discernable reactions from gluten, so the only assurance I have are what people say. If either a company or individuals say not to eat it, I don't.

mamaofaceliac Newbie

sa1937- we called the number on the jello pudding box.

Archived