This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"wow, That's Good!"

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

I have company from the East Coast this week. When they got in on Wednesday at suppertime I decided to be brave and take them to a local restaurant. I only ate at a restaurant once since I got sick and that was at the beginning. But I figured it was time so I called ahead. The only thing I could safely eat was the steak because it is cooked on the char-broiler where the only thing they cook is steaks and burgers. So I brought the loaf of Udi's I bought on the way there. My friends had the side dishes with their's of course, and they asked me about the bread so I gave them a slice.

I went for 14 months with no bread-like substance at all so I knew that maybe the reason I love Udi's so much is because I was deprived for so long. But they both loved it! They agreed with me that it's a lot like french bread, and they said it was much better than the bread they were served with their meals. And this was not toasted nor even warmed in the microwave. As a matter of fact it was still really cold - almost frozen.

So those of you who don't like gluten-free breads, maybe if you think of it as french bread you won't mind it so much. If that doesn't work, go get yourself a loaf of Ener-G tapioca bread. After you're done gagging and spitting it out, you'll LOVE the Udi's. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Is it really that good? I've tried mixes and they didn't like me (come to think if it its probably due to the fact that i was getting CCd by a bread machine).

I've been wanting a good bread/muffin/something for a while and while corn tortillas work, it just don't cut it ya know?

IrishHeart Veteran

Udi's, Canyon Bakehouse and Rudy's are pretty good for packaged breads (IMHO)

Mixes? the King Arthur gluten-free is awesome.

I prefer homemade, honestly, but these are good!!

EnerG ?? BARF-O-Rama. Rather eat sawdust. <_<

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I think Udis is best (especially the buns) thawed in tinfoil at room temp, then gently warmed in tinfoil. I toast the slice bread slightly for a sandwich. I've tried a few gluten-free breads and Udis is one of the best. I'm looking forward to trying their new dinner rolls and muffin tops! I think each of us have a different way to warm/heat and eat our gluten-free bread. My gluten eating family members do not like any gluten-free bread I've had. they will eat Udi if it is a grilled cheese sammy. Enjoy!!

bartfull Rising Star

I actually like the Canyon Bakehouse the best but because it has cornmeal in it, it doesn't agree with me. I did finally try Rudi's (same problem), but even though it tastes a lot like Canyon Bakehouse, it fell apart. So for texture, I prefer the CBH.

IrishHeart Veteran

I think Udis is best (especially the buns) thawed in tinfoil at room temp, then gently warmed in tinfoil. I toast the slice bread slightly for a sandwich. I've tried a few gluten-free breads and Udis is one of the best. I'm looking forward to trying their new dinner rolls and muffin tops! I think each of us have a different way to warm/heat and eat our gluten-free bread. My gluten eating family members do not like any gluten-free bread I've had. they will eat Udi if it is a grilled cheese sammy. Enjoy!!

Well, hey C-Kip! :) I have not "seen" you in while!! I do hope all's well. Sorry to to go "off track for a sec"... :lol: cheers, IH

GottaSki Mentor

First choice - Canyon Bakehouse

Second Choice, easiest to find, lower price - Udi's

Never, ever, ever, ever again - EnerG - only benefit to EnerG was it spurred us to learn to make our own.

One day when we have an empty nest we'll go back to mostly homemade - for now Udi's wins.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Never, ever, ever, ever again - EnerG - only benefit to EnerG was it spurred us to learn to make our own.

Same here :lol: :lol: :lol:

the day after my DX, hubs brought this loaf home and I spit it out

and said "are you kidding me??" I'd rather eat my shoe.

He baked a gluten-free loaf the next day (from the gluten-free Girl's recipe) and the rest is history. We had a few clunkers at first. (they serve as door stoppers now)

I made a Bette Hagman loaf last month that was pretty awesome. :)

Let's face it--the quest for the "perfect gluten-free loaf" is akin to the quest for the Holy Grail. Really, just ask Sylvia how many loaves she has made. :D

Syl???

Darn210 Enthusiast

When Udi's first came out with their hotdog and hamburger buns, I was excited to get some for my daughter who had gone without for so long. What happens when you do without for years? Your taste buds change . . . you develop a new norm. She hates buns on her hot dogs and hamburgers. "It's too dry. It soaks up all my ketchup" :P

What do you do with a package of hotdog buns? I make little garlic breads out of them for spaghetti night . . . she loves them. She loves the buns, just not on her hotdogs. :lol:

Udi's and Rudi's are interchangeable here. All depends on which one is on sale. I love that I can get them both at my local Kroger and it's cheaper than Whole Foods.

I've used the Ener-G bread for bread crumbs. It was fine in the finished product but even the smell is bad . . . way too yeasty or somethin'.

mbrookes Community Regular

I admit it... I am a Udi's junkie. I guess after all this time (I've been gluten-free for almost five years) I don't really remember what real bread tastes like. I cut the end pieces into fourths and toast it slowly in the oven. Break it up for crutons, crush for bread crumbs or (my favorite) use as a base for appetizers. Try spreading the bread sticks with Laughing Cow cheese or anything else you like.

sa1937 Community Regular

Let's face it--the quest for the "perfect gluten-free loaf" is akin to the quest for the Holy Grail. Really, just ask Sylvia how many loaves she has made. :D

Syl???

So, IH....how many loaves have I made in the past 2-1/2 years? Way too many to count but I have not bought a loaf since before Christmas when I had too much to do to even think of baking. Some successes, some failures and more bricks than I care to admit. But I will not give up.

So I'll post a pic of my latest success. This is Bette Hagman's Four-Flour Bread. Well, not exactly Four-Flour as I've diddled with the recipe and dumped two batches of her flour mix together, the latest of which included six flours. And I'm still not through with this recipe yet. BTW, this was baked in a 9x4x4" USA pan that I bought from King Arthur Flour. The bread was 5" tall when baked.

206234_504078576280173_1902087794_n.webp

My first ever loaf of gluten-free bread was also Ener-G...and after tasting it (blech!), it went into the garbage. Udi's wasn't yet available where I live. And I've tried Rudi's. Sadly I haven't found Canyon Bakehouse, which my daughter in Denver raves about and is able to buy fresh from Whole Foods (it's made in Loveland, CO, which is just north of Denver). So in the meantime, I'm challenged to keep on baking and searching for the holy grail of gluten-free bread. laugh.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

So, IH....how many loaves have I made in the past 2-1/2 years? Way too many to count So in the meantime, I'm challenged to keep on baking and searching for the holy grail of gluten-free bread. laugh.gif

137. I counted.

I admire your delusional hopeful pursuit!!

and that IS one good-looking loaf of bread, lady!

I love my Pullman USA pan--makes crazy high sandwich bread.

(but it doesn't fit in the toaster. :unsure::lol: )

sa1937 Community Regular

137. I counted.

I admire your delusional hopeful pursuit!!

and that IS one good-looking loaf of bread, lady!

I love my Pullman USA pan--makes crazy high sandwich bread.

(but it doesn't fit in the toaster. :unsure::lol: )

Glad you're keeping track of the number of loaves I've baked 'cuz I lost count a year or more ago. I think *delusional* is a good word!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif I just can't help myself!!!

And thanks to you I finally dragged out that Bette Hagman cookbook that I've had for well over a year and never touched.

The bread has to be put sideways into my toaster!!!

GottaSki Mentor

Sylvia's Gluten Free Bread

Coming soon to a store near you ;)

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia's Gluten Free Bread

Coming soon to a store near you ;)

Hahaha

Ummm...I don't think so, Lisa! biggrin.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

Hahaha

Ummm...I don't think so, Lisa! biggrin.gif

:lol: :lol:

I think it's a great idea--it will keep you off the streets.

If Lisa only knew exactly what you had to do to tweak that thing so it came out like that...

um, you did write it down, right?? :unsure:

GottaSki Mentor

Oh...I can imagine...we've had our fair share of tweaking bread recipes over here...many fresh baked victories...just never got a loaf that tasted great a day or two after baking.

Couldn't help myself - it's been over six months since I've had Udi's or any other decent gluten-free bread. Just recently I made a breadlike substance out of coconut flour and pureed apples - it tasted wonderful to me, but certainly nothing close to fresh baked bread.

For now I'll just keep dreaming of the smell and taste of bread coming out of the oven ~ Sylvia's photo let me have a nice little daydream :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Just recently I made a breadlike substance out of coconut flour and pureed apples - it tasted wonderful to me, but certainly nothing close to fresh baked bread.

can you have something like this?

Open Original Shared Link

no grains, no dairy, VERY tasty :)

sa1937 Community Regular

:lol: :lol:

I think it's a great idea--it will keep you off the streets.

If Lisa only knew exactly what you had to do to tweak that thing so it came out like that...

um, you did write it down, right?? :unsure:

Well, that's true...it does keep me off the streets! laugh.gif And gives me something to do, too, instead of cleaning my house!!!

I have copious notes on many breads I've baked...but am still searching for that *perfect* elusive loaf.

GottaSki Mentor

can you have something like this?

Open Original Shared Link

no grains, no dairy, VERY tasty :)

I've actually seen this recipe and a few other similar ones -- patiently waiting until I get almonds back. It is quite funny - I was not a picky eater growing up but the one thing that I could not stand in baked goods was any form of coconut - for now it is the only flour I can use. I can eat banana but they kinda stop things up ;) so I tweaked a similar recipe by replacing mushed banana with pureed green apples - pretty good result and best part is a few batches later I still haven't had a reaction so I'm content for now with my apple bread-like substance, but will keep looking forward to adding things back.

IrishHeart Veteran

I've actually seen this recipe and a few other similar ones -- patiently waiting until I get almonds back.

oh sorry, hon....I read your sig line very carefully (or so I thought) and failed to see NUTS at the very end. Thought it would help. My bad. There are many coconut flour recipes out there. I know it's hard when you have to eliminate so many foods. I had a run like that (no eggs, dairy, soy, citrus, coffee, etc. etc. for a while) and it was a total PITA. <_<

Best wishes.

GottaSki Mentor

oh sorry, hon....I read your sig line very carefully (or so I thought) and failed to see NUTS at the very end. Thought it would help. My bad. There are many coconut flour recipes out there. I know it's hard when you have to eliminate so many foods. I had a run like that (no eggs, dairy, soy, citrus, coffee, etc. etc. for a while) and it was a total PITA. <_<

Best wishes.

No worries...I really appreciate the thought :)

Gemini Experienced

So, IH....how many loaves have I made in the past 2-1/2 years? Way too many to count but I have not bought a loaf since before Christmas when I had too much to do to even think of baking. Some successes, some failures and more bricks than I care to admit. But I will not give up.

So I'll post a pic of my latest success. This is Bette Hagman's Four-Flour Bread. Well, not exactly Four-Flour as I've diddled with the recipe and dumped two batches of her flour mix together, the latest of which included six flours. And I'm still not through with this recipe yet. BTW, this was baked in a 9x4x4" USA pan that I bought from King Arthur Flour. The bread was 5" tall when baked.

My first ever loaf of gluten-free bread was also Ener-G...and after tasting it (blech!), it went into the garbage. Udi's wasn't yet available where I live. And I've tried Rudi's. Sadly I haven't found Canyon Bakehouse, which my daughter in Denver raves about and is able to buy fresh from Whole Foods (it's made in Loveland, CO, which is just north of Denver). So in the meantime, I'm challenged to keep on baking and searching for the holy grail of gluten-free bread. laugh.gif

I bought the same pan to make bread in, Sylvia, and I love it! Mile high bread!

IrishHeart Veteran

I bought the same pan to make bread in, Sylvia, and I love it! Mile high bread!

me too! and I measured the loaf I made in that Pullman pan just to prove a point.... 5 inches whoohoo!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sa1937 Community Regular

Gemini and IH...who ever thought we could get such a thrill from owning that loaf pan!!! laugh.gif I think I need to add some more USA pans to my wish list. I also have the 8-1/2" x 4-1/2" for smaller loaves.

Archived