This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Test Issue

JKEROUAC

JKEROUAC Newbie

Spent the last month in and out of the hospital due to blockages and twisted small intestines but after a battery of tests, nothing was found. CT scans and steady X-Ray motoring confirmed these small intestinal blockages and after the Exploratory Laporatomy the surgeon found nothing.

After the Surgery, the blockages continued and the pain increased which brought me to the E.R. and admitted three more times spending the last month in and out of the hospital as they waited for the blockages to solve themselves.

The only other tests included the x-ray which included drinking the barium and PBG test.

And the most confusing part was the fact the the blood test that they performed to confirm my Celiac disease stated that my gluten sensitivity was normal even though when I first was diagnosed after a upper and lower GI biopsy and blood test:

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

Result Flag Reference Range

TTG AB IGA SCR W/RFX EMA IGA

TTG AB IGA 85 H 0-19 Units AR

]INTERPRETIVE DATA: Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody, IgA

IgA antibody against human tTG, if detected at a level greater than 19 units, may suggest the possibility of certain gluten sensitive enteropathies such as celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis

RFX ENDOMYSIAL TITR 1:10 H <1:10 AR

TEST INFORMATION: Endomysial Ab, IgA

Endomysial antibodies are screened using an ELISA tissue transgl~taminase (tTG) assay. All samples which are positive are titered on endomysial tissue by IFA. The endomysial antigen has been identified as the protein eross-linking enzyme known as eissue transglutaminase. Presence of IgA antibodies against human tTG suggests the possibility of certain gluten sensitive enteropathies such as celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis.

AR - TEST PERFORMED BY ARUP REFERENCE LABORATORIES 500 CHIPETA WAY, SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84108-1221

FLAGS: L=Low, LL=Critical Low, H=High, HH=Critical High, D=Delta, A=Abnormal

Acct# G00709522247 ** END OF REPORT **

Loc: G.LABOP -

----------------------------------------------------------------------

WHY NOW DO THE BLOOD TEST STATE I HAVE NO GLUTEN SENSITIVITY?

That was three years ago and I do follow the diet as close and religiously as I can, is it possible due to that am conscious with what I do digest state a false-negative?

They released me yesterday and told me that I had to go to a facility that can do the PILLCAM endoscopy procedure.

Which seems kind of sketch, especially due to the frequency of my visits, especially after the surgery where there was a 9" incision and nothing was found.

This has deeply effected my life in every way; work, school, and much more monetary commitments that I cannot take care of with out the work. A very big set back.

Any Suggestions???

Any Answers???

Thank You

Josh

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

If you have been gluten-free for three years, you should absolutely expect to test negative. The tests look for antibodies which your body produces in response to gluten. No gluten--no antibodies.

The negative results confirm that your diet is, in fact, gluten-free.

mushroom Proficient

I am sorry you have having all these intestinal blockage issues. It must be very frustrating for you. Perhaps the pill cam will show something that a laparotomy could not.

As Peter says, if you have been religiously following a gluten free diet you should by now test negative for gluten antibodies, because they only appear in the presence of gluten. Your doctor should have explained this to you, or perhaps he didn't know? :unsure: The pill cam also should not see any damage in your small intestine caused by gluten because that should have healed in three years. But it can see what is causing your current problems perhaps?? It seems to me to be logical next step since nothing they have done so far has been able to pinpoint problems.

Let us know how the pill cam turns out. :)

Archived