This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Attempting To Learn As Quickly As Possible

prairiemamma

prairiemamma Apprentice

Hi, I am very new to celiac and the gluten free diet. Yesterday I was told by our pedestrian to put my 4yo son on a gluten free diet immediately. He has always had medical issues of one sort or another, which I read may be linked to celiac disease. Example, he has always had funky stools since he was a baby, had GERD, etc. Well yesterday we went in for the results of bloodwork we had just done. His Celiac panel came back positive. His anti-tTG was 1.5 (which I understand is within normal limits) and his anti-DGP is 35.1. I have looked and looked and can't find anywhere online what the normal range is supposed to be. Since yesterday morning I have been online almost continuously researching celiac, gluten free diet and checking products ingredients. We live rural and don't have specialty stores anywhere near us. I stopped at both the little grocery stores we have, and bought everything I could find (which isn't much but it's a start I suppose). I have heard that most processed gluten-free foods (bread.cookies,etc) taste like wood so I don't know what to do. Therefore I am feeling extremely overwhelmed. Thank you in advance for any advise.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Hi, I am very new to celiac and the gluten free diet. Yesterday I was told by our pedestrian to put my 4yo son on a gluten free diet immediately. He has always had medical issues of one sort or another, which I read may be linked to celiac disease. Example, he has always had funky stools since he was a baby, had GERD, etc. Well yesterday we went in for the results of bloodwork we had just done. His Celiac panel came back positive. His anti-tTG was 1.5 (which I understand is within normal limits) and his anti-DGP is 35.1. I have looked and looked and can't find anywhere online what the normal range is supposed to be. Since yesterday morning I have been online almost continuously researching celiac, gluten free diet and checking products ingredients. We live rural and don't have specialty stores anywhere near us. I stopped at both the little grocery stores we have, and bought everything I could find (which isn't much but it's a start I suppose). I have heard that most processed gluten-free foods (bread.cookies,etc) taste like wood so I don't know what to do. Therefore I am feeling extremely overwhelmed. Thank you in advance for any advise.

Blasted spell check. It has people walking down the street giving you medical advice! :)

Ask for a copy of the lab results. different labs use different measurements but the ranges should be on the lab results paper.

Lots of things are gluten-free that you may already be eating. Grlled chicken, steaks , burgers (no bun), fruits, veggies,cheese, etc.

Are you in the US? Some products differ by country. You might want to get the free sample basket from the Univ of Chicago Celiac center if you are in the US. Open Original Shared Link

You can always order things but you might not need to order much. Chex has many cereals that are gluten-free and make good snacks for kids. He is pretty young so you could get him to accept grapes and carrot sticks for snacks.

Relax. You can take a week or two to learn what you are doing. Remember, kids take thier cues from you. If you are upset or apologize for the food, he will think something is wrong with it.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Ditto to whats been said, but also

Check vitamins and medications

As well as shampoos, soaps, laundry, etc.

There are gluten free pastas, breads, cereals (chex is lovely), etc...

Be careful with spices, expecially mixes.

If a condiment container has been used for gluteny things either toss it or give it to a friend and buy new.

Some things in the kitchen should be replaced like the pasta colender, toaster, etc.

prairiemamma Apprentice

Really?? Shampoo and the cylinder! I never really thought! I'm not overly worried about him rejecting what I make for meals. He is typically pretty easy. Raw fruits and veggies are one of his main foods of choice (texture, he is also has ASD). But cereals and bread are a big deal. It's a must for every breakfast. But I did find chex and rice crispies. I have been checking all my spices condiments etc, but never thought of medications.

Are there hidden glutens in things? Or does it have to be listed? Are there any funky or different names companies use for gluten?

prairiemamma Apprentice

Oh, and We are in Canada.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

Make sure you got the gluten free rice krispies. Kelloggs makes two kinds. The regular ones have malt and are NOT gluten free.

At first we started out buying all the gluten-free processed food (in a panic!) but now - almost two years later - we mostly buy naturally gluten free foods. It is less expensive and better for you. It seems overwhelming now but you'll catch on quick.

cara

shadowicewolf Proficient

Really?? Shampoo and the cylinder! I never really thought! I'm not overly worried about him rejecting what I make for meals. He is typically pretty easy. Raw fruits and veggies are one of his main foods of choice (texture, he is also has ASD). But cereals and bread are a big deal. It's a must for every breakfast. But I did find chex and rice crispies. I have been checking all my spices condiments etc, but never thought of medications.

Are there hidden glutens in things? Or does it have to be listed? Are there any funky or different names companies use for gluten?

Also playdouh is made with wheat flour, there are gluren free options. Some paint supplies (like glue) also have it.

I only know U.S. laws regarding it :( but there are some canadians on here that can help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome!

Many items labeled gluten free do taste awful. Sticking with whole foods is the best way to go gluten-free. I'd suggest tasting any gluten free items you purchase first - if you think it tastes good, then offer it to your son. There are many brand name foods that are gluten free - when in doubt google "the item + gluten free" - most times it will bring you right back to this forum with plenty of posts. You always need to read labels in case ingredients change. If still unsure, contact the manufacturer by email or telephone.

Bread - Udi's if a store near you carries or bake your own.

Pretzels - My kids love Glutino pretzels

Pebbles, Chex and EnvironKidz are their favorite cereals

Pasta - Corn, Quinoa or Rice options - our family prefers corn blends to pure rice pasta

Pretzels, Cereal, Pastas and gluten-free flours, bisquick and cake/brownie mixes can be purchased from Amazon - they are usually are much cheaper than the grocery store and they have a subscribe and save feature that allows you to save an additional 15% - You can opt for delivery spaced at different intervals, but I always just sign up for every six months then request an additional shipment when I run out. They also email you a reminder that an order is pending so you can cancel it before it is shipped. Plus you don't have to lug them home :)

Others are right - your son will follow your lead - take it a step at a time and make it as normal as possible - it will become easy to replace any of his favorites with gluten-free items - it just takes time and the learning curve can be very frustrating.

Hang in there, ask anything - we've all made it thru the transition and you will too!

GFinDC Veteran

Hi P-mama,

You might want to check the website of any large chain grocery stores near your corner of the plains. Many of them have gluten free lists now. Some have special sections for gluten-free foods. This site has gluten-free foods available also.

Corn tortillas are a cheap option for replacing bread. Look for GMO free/organic ones. Many times dairy is a problem for people when they are new to the gluten-free diet. So it would be something to consider removing. Almond milk and coconut or hemp milk are good substitutes. Soy may be a problem also. Sticking with mainly whole foods instead of processed foods is easier when starting out. You don't need to spend much time reading labels on a bag of whole onions.

Gluten in celiac terms means wheat, rye, barley and possibly oats. So anything with those ingredients should not be eaten. Oats only affect about 10 to 15% of celiacs. Gluten is a fine thickener and is used in many processed foods for that purpose. Whole fruits, nuts, meats and veggies are naturally gluten free. Planters will list any gluten ingredients on the nutrition label.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.

Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.

Don't eat in restaurants

Eat only whole foods not processed foods.

Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Take probiotics.

Take gluten-free vitamins.

Take digestive enzymes.

Avoid dairy.

Avoid sugars and starchy foods.

Avoid alcohol.

FAQ Celiac com

http://www.celiac.co...celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?

http://www.celiac.co...reakfast-today/

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?

http://www.celiac.co...or-lunch-today/

What Are You Cooking Tonight?

http://www.celiac.co...ooking-tonight/

Dessert thread

http://www.celiac.co...399#entry802399

Easy yummy bread in minutes

http://www.celiac.co...ead-in-minutes/

How bad is cheating?

http://www.celiac.co...t-periodically/

Short temper thread

http://www.celiac.co...per-depression/

Non celiac wheat sensitivity article

Open Original Shared Link

prairiemamma Apprentice

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!! And all the information. This has all been a bit of a curve ball I was not expecting. But I am trying. First to reflect on some of the comments... Digestive enzymes?? Really? What are they and why would they be beneficial?? He's already on a probiotic. Playdough? If the gluten isn't injested, does it really enter the system through the skin? I bought Udi's bread...it's nasty!! Super gross!

With his behavioral issues and other delays, I have always been modifying his diet. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time emotionally with this one. We are already as wholeistic as can be. I make, preserve as much as I can. We raise many of our own meat. Dyes and sugars are kept at a minimum.

My hubby is having a hard time as well. With him, he can't 'see' the issue physically, so it makes it hard for him. He was impressed last night though. Apparently I did rarely well with supper and dessert lol. He couldn't tell it was gluten-free. My kids didn't like the rice spaghetti though, so I will have to try and find an alternative.

This weekend is Canadian thanksgiving and I have been looking for a gluten-free pie dough recipe for 2 days. Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie is just wrong. LOL. But all I have is all purpose flour and xantham gum. I wasn't ready to embark on the road of 50,000 flours yet so opted for the all purpose. Does anyone have a recipe they are willing to share??

kareng Grand Master

There is a lot of info on this forum. You might want to read around. There are recipes and even an ongoing thread about what people are making for dinner. Perhaps you cooked the rice pasta too long? I find it is best to turn it off when you add the pasta, put the lid on and it usually is ready faster than the package says. But there are lots of kinds to try.

Pumpkin pie is good made without the crust, too. Here is the curent thread on pie crusts;

The issue with Playdough is that some little ones will eat it accidently or on purpose. I know when I played with it, it was always under my nails and hard to get it all cleaned off.

Lots of foods are naturally gluten free. Grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans & ice cream (check ingredients but most are OK). Is that a bad dinner?

sa1937 Community Regular

My hubby is having a hard time as well. With him, he can't 'see' the issue physically, so it makes it hard for him. He was impressed last night though. Apparently I did rarely well with supper and dessert lol. He couldn't tell it was gluten-free. My kids didn't like the rice spaghetti though, so I will have to try and find an alternative.

This weekend is Canadian thanksgiving and I have been looking for a gluten-free pie dough recipe for 2 days. Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie is just wrong. LOL. But all I have is all purpose flour and xantham gum. I wasn't ready to embark on the road of 50,000 flours yet so opted for the all purpose. Does anyone have a recipe they are willing to share??

What brand of rice spaghetti did you try? Some of us really like Tinkyada brown rice pasta.

Check out this thread for pie crust, which was just started yesterday. http://www.celiac.co...e-crust-recipe/ Pumpkin pie can also be made crustless.

P.S. Karen beat me to it. LOL

prairiemamma Apprentice

The spaghetti was Rizopia. It's all I could find. We live in a small town, so selection is limited.

Thank you for the pie dough thread. I will definitely check it out!

GottaSki Mentor

I bought Udi's bread...it's nasty!! Super gross!

Remember you are able to eat gluten filled bread - your son doesn't have that option.

It does taste better toasted or in grilled cheese, but my teens and their gluten eating friends mow thru loaves with no complaints. My gluten eating husband switched a few years ago and toasts his even when packing a sandwich for lunch. I eat it both ways.

Homemade tastes great - the problem I have found is it tastes great fresh, but becomes quite crumbly the next day. If you are interested in baking, there are many threads about making your own from scratch &/or utilizing gluten-free baking mixes.

My family has never liked rice pasta - even when we figured out how to cook it perfect they still prefer corn, corn/rice or corn/quinoa blends. Do you have a Walmart near you? Sometimes we use their gluten-free spaghetti and it doesn't break the bank. If no walmart, you can order their brand - 5 packs or many other brands from Amazon. Sam Mills has a mini lasagne noodle that works well to replace wide egg noodles.

bartfull Rising Star

Udi's MULTI-GRAIN bread is wonderful. I haven't tried their white bread, but the multi-grain tastes like french bread. Even my non-gluten-free friends love it. And if you or your son like the regular multi grain breads in the grocery store - the ones that have all of those little nutty bits in them, try Canyon Bakehouse multi-grain. It's yummy.

prairiemamma Apprentice

Awesome! I will look for those brands and different noodles. Rice is all we have here, but I will look online and see what I can order.

The Udi's I bought was white and my family isn't used to white breads. And I was surprised I found it. It was in the freezer sect, on the very top shelf, way at the back. So who knows, it could of been there for 6months for all I know. I drove into the city yesterday and found Genius multigrain. We haven't tried it yet, but it looks great!

GFinDC Veteran

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!! And all the information. This has all been a bit of a curve ball I was not expecting. But I am trying. First to reflect on some of the comments... Digestive enzymes?? Really? What are they and why would they be beneficial??

Hi P-Mama,

Digestive enzymes help break down food in your digestive system. Some of them are made by the gallbladder and some are made by the lining of the small intestine. Celiac damage to the small intestine can affect the production of enzymes needed to digest food. Gall bladder issues are also fairly common with celiac disease. The combination can make digestion difficult. Replacement digestive enzymes can help.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Gluten free is hard for those who are used to the gluteny stuff. Believe it or not, after a while on it, it tastes a lot better.

Playdough is a pain to get out and who's to say he won't put his finger near his mouth when playing with it?

I adore the corn/quinova mixes, i can't handle the ever raved rice one on here, it sits like lead in my stomach.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

We love Ancient Grains Quinoa Pasta. The entire family eats it (even though only two of us NEED to) and no one complains. I found the rice pasta to be mushy. The quinoa pasta is even good the next day.

Cara

nvsmom Community Regular

For thanksgiving, I am using a cookie crumb crust made with gluten-free ginger snaps and butter. I hope it works...

Best wishes

Archived