• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Amaranth

4 posts in this topic

I tried a new recipe for chocolate chip cookies about a week ago (http://glutenfreegirl.com/david-leites-chocolate-chip-cookies-gluten-free/- quite good, by the way). I had never had amaranth before but I noticed that I felt kind of sick after I ate them. There's a stomach virus going around, though, and I work in a hospital where I'm exposed to every crud and crap that passes through the community. I figured it was gastroenteritis.

I made the cookies again this evening and lo-and-behold, I'm sick again. Amaranth is the only thing in the recipe that I've never had. It just seems weird because when I tried to look into it, I can't find anyone else reporting a problem with it, it seems pretty non-inflammatory. The amaranth can't be contaminated, it's Bob's Red Mill certified gluten-free etc and my kitchen has been 100% gluten free since I moved in almost a year ago. It's definitely not gluten making me sick though it feels the same- stomach pain, nausea, and my hands are all swollen back up from hive-like rashes (that had gone away when my dermatologist decided to get militant and gave me high dose topical steroids and tacrolimus).

So, now I'm in a bind. The cookies I made are actually for a fundraiser for our farmer's market on Saturday. I feel weird about giving away and selling something that makes me sick but I think it's just me because my fiance has eaten at least a dozen of them (they do taste good) and feels fine. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the cookies, but I am concerned that if I can't tolerate amaranth, it might make other people sick too and then they'll think I've glutened them.

Has anyone else here had an odd reaction to amaranth? Should I just scratch the cookies off the menu? Or am I being neurotic and making too much out of what might be just an unrepentant case of norovirus?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

You could simply have an allergy to amaranth - not outside the realm of possibility, you know? It happens. Or it could be that one of your other ingredients happens to have a contaminated batch, even if it's usually okay.

Or is there one ingredient that you are using MORE of than you usually do? If you happen to have an intolerance, the quantity change could have an affect.

You might want to see if you can make these cookies again with another type of flour, like quinoa, and see if you can eat THEM without issue. Just to double check that it's the amaranth and not contamination from the other ingredients, you know?

I get that reaction to amaranth, quinoa, and millet, so don't feel alone. I do tolerate sorghum and buckwheat flours, I think because they are not grains.

You could simply have an allergy to amaranth - not outside the realm of possibility, you know? It happens. Or it could be that one of your other ingredients happens to have a contaminated batch, even if it's usually okay.

Or is there one ingredient that you are using MORE of than you usually do? If you happen to have an intolerance, the quantity change could have an affect.

You might want to see if you can make these cookies again with another type of flour, like quinoa, and see if you can eat THEM without issue. Just to double check that it's the amaranth and not contamination from the other ingredients, you know?

I am definitely going to try altering the recipe next time. I also might just be eating too many, since when I eat chocolate chips I also drink milk... and I'm mildly lactose intolerant.

However this morning I got my period so I am thinking that it might be that, and was gastroenteritis last time. My abdominal pain from my gluten intolerance is typically pretty low in my belly so it kind of fits.

If anything, this is a wonderful example of how difficult it is to pinpoint this stuff. I wish we had better testing methods for this stuff. I work in a laboratory and I love that I am seeing doctors order the celiac panels more and more but it's not enough.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Kathy Moore

• Topics

• Hi duliano, Was he tested for celiac disease?  If he is positive for celiac disease, you'll need to spend some time learning about it.  Celiac disease tends to run in families, so you and your spouse should also be tested if it is celiac. There is another condition called NCGS which some people have.  Those people also get sick from eating wheat, rye, and barley, but they don't have the gut damage that celiac's get. Recovery from celiac disease damage can take 18 months or more.  It is not a fast process for most of us.  The antibodies that cause the damage slowly reduce in number over time.  Possibly weeks to months.  Even a small crumb of wheat, rye or barley can cause the antibodies to flare up again.  Then the damage starts again and it's back to recovery. It sounds like you are giving him a good diet.  Meat, veggies, nuts, and eggs are good for the first 6 months.  After that people find they can sometimes add dairy milk back into their diet.  You need to avoid cross contamination from shared foods like mayo or peanut butter or even a  shared toaster.   Think of gluten like a tiny germ that you can't see but it can be there.  It's really helpful to not have any gluten in the house, if that is possible.  Also you have to watch out for other people giving him treats that have gluten. Welcome to the forum duliano!
    • My RA blood test was negative and my dsDNA was negative too.  I think that the dsDNA is the lupus test.  I think.  I haven't been referred to a rheumatologist.   
    • Some people will always test negative on the blood test, odd and rare but it happens. You also have to be eating gluten on a daily basis for the antibodies to show up for it in the test for at least 12 weeks. You can follow up with a endoscope and biopsy, if your having gut issues this might be a great idea to rule out other issues. I might also suggest a colonoscopy to rule out Ulcerative Colitis or other digestive issues there. Other thoughts you could have SIBO or NCGS. NCGS  can not be diagnosed...heck I was writing up a bit of a summary page for someone else about it might as well make use of the partially filled out notepad here.  Forgive any typos or misinformation still working it out for various sources. " 1. Acne, Flushed Skin, or Rashes
      Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity can manifest itself as a chronic skin condition such as a rash, acne, or red/flushedcheeks, but these conditions could also be hormonal. On the other hand Celiac disease also has Dermatitis herpetiformic or DH, which is characterized by rashes and chronically itchy, elbows, knees, buttons, and back. 2. Distended Stomach or Bloating
      A distended or bloated stomach applies especially after gluten consumption and is a fairly clear sign of gluten sensitivity. A distended stomach is also characteristic of malnutrition as well of celiac disease. 3. Diarrhea, Gas, or Constipation
      These three  symptoms can simultaneously occur after eating gluten and may be a sign of intolerance because,especially the former, is a way for the body to expel harmful allergens or other substances. Often, diarrhea(frequent loose or liquid stools) occurs with gas, resulting in a “feeling of a full or tight abdomen” as put by the NFCA. Constipation, essentially the antithesis of diarrhea, is also a symptom of non-celiac gluten sensitivity and is characterized by infrequent, hard, painful bowel movements from lack of physical activity or poor diet,namely a diet high in refined carbs rich in gluten. This can be made worse if one has a magnesium deficiency, does not get though hard fiber, or drink enough water. All of which can be made worse by the feeling of bloat/gas making one feel too full to need to drink or eat high fiber foods. 4. Brain Fog or Migraines
      Brain fog is a major characteristic of non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Chronic or debilitating migraines goes hand in hand with the idea of brain fog and results in depression or irritability. These again can be made worse by deficiencies, like B-vitamins. 5. Joint Pain or Numbness in Extremities
      Tingling, pain, or numbness in the joints or extremities is abnormal and should be a clear sign of a health problem like gluten intolerance or celiac disease. Colloquially, this tingling is described as “pins and needles” or a limbbeing “asleep.” If this happens frequently for no apparent reason, it could be a sign of gluten intolerance. Again these can help be alleviated and be made worse by deficiencies in Magnesium, B-vitamins
      Total elimination of the gluten protein for an extended period of time, say two weeks or a month, is the only true way to identify if these symptoms are linked to gluten intolerance, and even then, it would not be certain. If the protein is eliminated and any of the above symptoms dissipate, then it should be noted that gluten intolerance may be an issue, but be sure to consult a professional for solid proof."  
    • I have a friend who reacts to raw oranges, apples, and bananas. Funny thing is they are fine with cooked foods using them and pasturized orange juice. Some odd food allergy that gets broken down with heat. SIDE NOTE. I just reintroduced iceberg lettuce, and romaine after not having any in 4 months......I HAVE A NEW INTOLERANCE. even just plain iceberg organic, pieces from the core without chemicals make me horrible sick and vomiting....they used to be fine....WTF?! Oh well spinach is fine and the canned stuff is cheaper and more nutrient dense....but really WTF?! Yeah I tried 2 brands and even the organic one.
    • I had to research today from last night's reaction. Never thought oj would be  a problem. I see from past posts some have had concerns about orange juice . I've joined the club. Myself and DS are reacting to something in pure premium. Just wanted to share info I found in case one day someone else has this experience. While I can't say it is gluten cc we also are corn and milk free, just know we are having a reaction and we just opened a new pure premium that we both drank from. It is possible I'm sensitive to chemicals the flavors / scent added after processing possible culprit. Sad as oj has the vitamin c good for immune system. Which is disheartening if DS is as sensitive as mom didn't appear to be until now. I'm not sure but felt the need to put this out there for those concerned with labeling and who are sensitive. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/29/100-percent-orange-juice-artificial_n_913395.html http://gizmodo.com/5825909/orange-juice-is-artificially-flavored-to-taste-like-oranges     Edit: one more link http://www.foodrenegade.com/secret-ingredient-your-orange-juice/ Maybe today is a coffee day? 
  • Upcoming Events