This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are These Active Lesions?

Cmlgl

Cmlgl Rookie

So I am still trying to understand my skin before I go to the derm on the 16th. As I walk around itching I decide to actually look at what scratching. Are these considered active lesions? Also can a derm order a celiac blood panel?

5FF4B968-E4EE-490C-BB0B-E78D4856CD03-1855-000001C4AD8BCFBD.webp

8D355CED-BD6F-4984-8281-BC4F38EBDDF2-1855-000001C4ACA54E32.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

itchy Rookie

Yes, I would call them 'active' lesions. They are certainly 'active' as evidenced by the red inflammation. And lesion is a word with a broad definition that basically means diseased area or injury.

To me your lesions look like DH, and I would expect if they get worse or you scratch harder they will become 'excorciated' and become bleeding sores. In mine they 'stung' and hurt, rather than itched, although the distinction may be a fine one. I associate itching with the healing period in the process, stinging with getting worse.

I can't offer an opinion about the blood panel. None of the medical testing I had ever identified DH or coeliac disease and I am self diagnosed largely as a result of comparison photos, associated gastrointestinal symptoms, and the fact that strictly avoiding gluten 'cured' both aspects of the disease. Albeit slowly in the case of skin symptoms.

squirmingitch Veteran

Yes, I too, would say those are active lesions. I think it depends on the individual derm as to whether they will order the blood panel or not. Any doctor with a medical degree can order the tests; the question is will the derm. May guess is the derm will say to go to your GP & ask the GP to order the tests. If the derm orders them then the results will be sent to the derm & the derm may not feel comfortable interpreting them. You could counter by saying you will take the results to your GP for interpretation. (Also post them here along with the reference ranges -- we have members who are very versed in interpreting them). Bottom line ---- it never hurts to ask --- all the derm can do is say no. But do you realize that those of us with dh test neg. on the blood panel more often than regular celiacs do? That's b/c it's in our more in our skin. This info. is in the "Interesting Reading on DH" thread.

BUT --- here is the current FULL blood panel for celiac. You can print it out & take it with you:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG

Total Serum IgA

The DGP test was added recently to the full panel.

Also can be termed this way:

Endomysial Antibody IgA

Tissue Transglutaminase IgA

GLIADIN IgG

GLIADIN IgA

Total Serum IgA

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG

If they order less than these tests then they have not done the full panel.

And I will remind you that a dx of dh IS a dx of celiac.

Cmlgl Rookie

Well I went ahead and made an apt for my GP. I'm gonna get the celiac panel, 100 food allergy panel, environmental allergy panel( which I know I have but I want to see my numbers)

Anything else I can request

cindylou7 Apprentice

They look like mine. I'm not a doctor and I haven't tested positive yet. But the blister in the top picture looks exactly like mine do. And if you're like me they crater after the blister pops and look like something on the surface of the moon. Good luck with the doctors!

squirmingitch Veteran

Well I went ahead and made an apt for my GP. I'm gonna get the celiac panel, 100 food allergy panel, environmental allergy panel( which I know I have but I want to see my numbers)

Anything else I can request

Thyroid panel --- not just TSH, but free T3, free T4 --- the whole shebang. Vitamins & minerals. Especially B's, B-12, D & iron.

Jackson Newbie

Also, on the thyroid, get a t3 re-uptake.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived