This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Setting Up 504 For Highschooler- What Am I Leaving Out?

MitziG

MitziG Enthusiast

My 13 yo dd is getting a 504 plan due to excessive absences that would otherwise give her a failing grade. (Over 6 is automatic F) she already has missed 5. She is a straight A student. She is homeschooled but is dual enrolled in 9th grade at the high school. Was hoping she could manage half days but it isn't going so hot.

So, I intend to have them allow for absences obviously. Unlimited restroom use. (They only get 6 passes for whole year!)

Time to make up homework missed. Tutoring of missed topics if/when it becomes necessary.

That's all I can think of. She is ale to know what is safe to touch obviously, doesn't eat lunch at school and is extremely cautious about wiping down her desk every time she sits at it. She is really sensitive to cc so she takes no chances

Is there anything you think I am missing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

IS she allowed to keep a snack and a waterbottle with her?

What about tummy meds?

The ability to lie down in the nurses office if needed?

MitziG Enthusiast

Good ideas!

T.H. Community Regular

What ingredients she needs to avoid should be included. And it should probably be mentioned that she needs to avoid these as something she consumes and in airborne situations. Being able to get alternatives for assignments that might involve these might be something you want to include. There can be some art projects that include flour which could be unsafe for her, paper mache, for example. I believe some tempera paints may be an issue, too. I recall one such thing in an old history class of mine where students were assigned to make certain foods from ancient Rome for a classroom project, as another example.

The restroom use - you have it listed as unlimited. Is that for # of times, or does it also include no limits on how quickly she can access it? As I recall, some parents had to include the ability to leave class quickly and without requiring teacher permission for getting to the bathroom. Some celiac kids were made to wait to leave while the teacher finished talking with other students, for example, and the poor things simply couldn't wait that long, you know?

Some classes may have parties, snacks, or other times where a food is introduced into the classroom. Is she okay with gluten around her in that type of environment? If not, you may need to include something about where she can go, or information about bringing her own snacks, where she can store food for this type of thing.

Probably another one is that she should not be given medication or food by anyone but you or your husband, or someone you designate. I could possibly see something small, like a tylenol, being given if she was at the nurse's for a headache, say(maybe? I don't know the protocol for this at all schools). If it were a generic version, something with gluten for example, that could be an issue.

Probably you want something in there about what to do if she reacts at school. Who to contact, if you want to be contacted, or permission to leave school at your discretion if her reactions are sometimes severe. I have met a couple parents who were not called when their child reacted, because it wasn't considered a big enough issue to contact the parents about. The school had the 'it's just a little tummy pain' attitude, and the more frequently it happened, the more they seemed to dismiss it. Like they fell into a pattern of thinking of it as the child trying to avoid school. :-(

shadowicewolf Proficient

All the schools i've been through won't give out pain meds without consent from a parent first.

What about art supplies (if she takes art), and home ec. (backing/cooking)?

Juliebove Rising Star

I would make sure to mention the touching of wheat. Last year in my daughter's science class they were required to use pasta wagon wheels. AFAIK those don't come in gluten-free. They were making a car out of pasta. This year the project involved eating Jolly Ranchers and she can't have sugar on her diet. You'd think the eating and touching of food would go away when they get older, but it does not.

Archived