This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Intolerance Or Just Really Bad Timing/luck

RyanIN

RyanIN Rookie

I recently tried going 2 weeks without gluten because I was tired of always being bloated and having stomach aches (and other assorted stomach related symptoms-aka less than perfect stools). After 2 weeks of making sure nothing I ate had any gluten in it, I had a large piece of fully gluten-ed bread (I know because I baked it). About an hour later, I vomited a little. But, my immediate reaction was disbelieve (and apparently to boldly wave my fist at the symptom). So, needless to say, for dinner I had two more pieces of bread and a muffin (though in total less calories than I normally consume). By that night my stomach was bloated to the point it looked like I could have been several months pregnant. I thought that was where it would end. But by midday the next day, I was vomiting a little bit here and there. And by that night, I had emptied my entire stomach with a few extra empty efforts by my stomach just to make sure. And I felt so terrible afterwards that I think I had a food aversion to all foods (resulting in about 6 pounds of weight loss and extreme fatigue and exhaustion).

My question is: Did I just pick the worst time to test my gluten reaction and happen to be hit by a stomach flu? Or did I overindulge during my testing and my body gave me the definitive slap in the face announcing that yes in fact I was gluten intolerant?

I guess my disbelieve stems from the fact that I'd never had symptoms that severe in the past and usually eat lots of bread and gluten related products without vomiting. So, is it possible the two week break brought out these reactions, or again, was it just bad timing and really just a stomach flu creating a false positive. I'm a little hesitant to try and retest, but fear that is probably my only option. I hate being someone who needs evidence for their evidence.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

I doubt it was bad luck or poor timing. I think you were onto something with that elimination diet and your body reacted strongly when gluten was reintroduced. I get that big bloat when I ate gluten; I used to never go anywhere without a baggy sweatshirt or sweater so I could hide my gut when the bloat hit. For me, feeling poorly and migraines would usually follow.

It appears that you have some sort of gluten intolerance, whether it's celiac or not we can't tell. Unfortunately, if you want to get tested for celiac, you'll have to eat gluten regularly for about 6 weeks in order to get an accurate test; those two weeks gluten-free could affect your results and give a false negative.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't well, but I wish you luck with testing or the gluten-free diet. I hope you feel better.

RyanIN Rookie

Thank you for the response! I do wonder if I should go ahead and be tested for celiacs. Is the treatment any different or is the only real treatment giving up gluten? Because, I figure if gluten is causing my latest symptoms, then I'm probably better off just accepting my body does not like the stuff much.

I doubt it was bad luck or poor timing. I think you were onto something with that elimination diet and your body reacted strongly when gluten was reintroduced. I get that big bloat when I ate gluten; I used to never go anywhere without a baggy sweatshirt or sweater so I could hide my gut when the bloat hit. For me, feeling poorly and migraines would usually follow.

It appears that you have some sort of gluten intolerance, whether it's celiac or not we can't tell. Unfortunately, if you want to get tested for celiac, you'll have to eat gluten regularly for about 6 weeks in order to get an accurate test; those two weeks gluten-free could affect your results and give a false negative.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't well, but I wish you luck with testing or the gluten-free diet. I hope you feel better.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I was in a situation not dissimilar from yours.

I did a second round of testing gluten on myself after another month gluten free.

One coincidence... possible. Two at the same time... not very likely at all (though still *possible*).

nvsmom Community Regular

Thank you for the response! I do wonder if I should go ahead and be tested for celiacs. Is the treatment any different or is the only real treatment giving up gluten? Because, I figure if gluten is causing my latest symptoms, then I'm probably better off just accepting my body does not like the stuff much.

Treatment is giving up gluten, although some people also add vitamins (some sublingual/under tongue) since some can be low, and many use probiotics and supplements (like glutamine or papaya) to help in the digestive process. Many also end up with other issues like dairy, soy, corn or nightshade intolerances from their damaged intestines; some of these are permanent and others disappear after healing has advanced. (I personally have problems with milk.)

If you think you might want the celiac tests sometime in the future, it's probably best to do the test soon (after a few more weeks of a gluten filled diet) because many celiacs seem to get more sensitive the longer gluten has been out of their diets. After a few weeks gluten-free, I had a beer that was gluten-free to 3 parts per million and I ballooned up like a basketball and had a migraine for almost a week. That being said, if you feel comfortable following the gluten-free diet without a diagnosis, then go for it! :) Many people have doubts and feel the need to a firm diagnosis in order to be able to follow a strict gluten-free diet for life (I was one) but if you don't need it, kudos to you! :)

Good luck!

GFinDC Veteran

Hi, there is no difference in treatment right now. Staying gluten-free is the only treatment for celiac at the moment.

RyanIN Rookie

I really appreciate all the responses. I'm working through my second trial period of going gluten-free before I test my reaction to putting some gluten back in my system. I think one more round with similar results will be all the proof I need that my body is not fond of gluten. Hopefully it won't be as terrible as last time. But, I'll be glad to at least not be left wondering was it just a fluke.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Good luck. I hope you get clear results. :)

gatita Enthusiast

Let us know what happens! I'm thinking of doing this just to see if my continuing D is from accidental glutenings or something else. Thought it would help me know for sure what a glutening feels like. But I'm kinda scared to do it....

Archived