• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Need To Fast Before Any Of These Blood Tests?

4 posts in this topic

Heyy got my blood tests at 7am 2maro morning which is 12 hours from now, I know i dont have to do a 24 hour fast but is there any of the tests below which require a few hours of no eating. THank you

Full blood count, Glucose random, Liver function tests, Thyroid function test and Urea and electrolytes for gp and ESR

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Honestly, just don't eat after midnight, and you'll be fine. You got an early one (which is very good for blood tests), so no worries about fasting there. You can have a nice big breakfast afterward.

The only blood test that requires fasting is glucose fasting, you are taking random glucose so you should NOT be fasting. If you go in with a fasting glucose when your doctor requested random he/she may think you are on your way to being pre diabetic when you are fine. Be sure to let your doctor know whether or not you have eaten in the event you get called for odd results.

Honestly, just don't eat after midnight, and you'll be fine. You got an early one (which is very good for blood tests), so no worries about fasting there. You can have a nice big breakfast afterward.

Thx i got them done today results will be ready on friday he said so il post them if theres anything strange.

The only blood test that requires fasting is glucose fasting, you are taking random glucose so you should NOT be fasting. If you go in with a fasting glucose when your doctor requested random he/she may think you are on your way to being pre diabetic when you are fine. Be sure to let your doctor know whether or not you have eaten in the event you get called for odd results.

Thx mate i did not fast, didnt know that test was for being diabetic. Its strange ive been tested for diabetes like four times when i was younger and never had it. Get my results friday so il post them up. thx again

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Lakme

• Topics

• https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/hot-breakfast/gluten-free-breakfast-sandwich "It's all prepared in a certified gluten-free environment and sealed for your safety. We then warm and serve it in its own oven-safe parchment bag to avoid any cross-contamination."
    • Hi all. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this long post. I'm a 23 yo female.  I have had quite the year in terms of health issues. here's a recap, which actually starts senior year in high school: may 2012 - had horrible bouts of constipation that came out of no where. something I had never experienced before. tested positive tTg IgA = 38.3 where >20 was positive. I also had Gliadin antibodies and EMA tested which were both negative. Important to note: I did not see these test results until this past November! my pediatrician never told me or my mom, I just discovered them in my online portal.   october 2015 - still dealing with random periods of horrible constipation. they seemed to correlate with stress. always seemed to have terrible canker sores. History of real bad migraines. Had another tTG IGA test which was now negative.  March 2016 - had barium follow through xray to see why I am always constipated and irregular. nothing abnormal with this test.  April 2016 - got seriously injured from running. shin splints that made it impossible for me to even walk to class. was prescribed ridiculous amounts of ibruprofen and naproxen (800mg twice a day) probably the cause of my gastritis June-August 2016 - shin splits are not healing. doctors run slew of tests to see if I have a malabsorption issue or blood clotting issues, I had positive anti ccp antibodies (this is a rheumatoid arthritis blood marker) and iron deficiency (though not anemic). Another celiac panel was ran and DGP was negative and tTg was BARELY positive: 4 where >=4 was weak positive and >10 strong positive. This time I had an endoscopy which found intestinal metaplasia of the stomach, gastritis and duodenitis. no villi blunting so I was told no celiac.  September 2016- was prescribed prilosec for the metaplasia. I thought screw it, I'll try eating gluten free for 8 weeks. I felt GREAT. first time in forever that my stools were normal and regular and my stomach was emptying it self in a normal timely manner. Not sure if this was from the diet or the prilosec. october 2016: had a little ER trip after a night of drinking due to brown colored urine - had high billirubin in urine, was not told what this meant, I'm assuming alcohol poisoning  November 2016 - Weaned off prilosec. found those strong positive tTG IGA blood lab from high school, freaked out, and demanded I be re tested. Did gluten challenge for 12 weeks until February 2017 and re tested, tTG IGA was negative, B12 was borderline very low, still have iron deficiency and low vitamin D. EMA was never tested.  summary of symptoms I've had: constipation, stomach takes forever to digest, canker sores, iron deficiency, borderline low B12, low vitamin D, gastritis, migraines, anxiety, tingling numbness and bone pain in lower legs--> possibly due to shin splint injury not healing properly. keratosis pilarsis(chicken skin) on my upper arms which I've had for as long as I can remember. Moodiness --> I can be a real grouch when my insides are bothering me.  Currently: I feel like crap. My shins aren't healed after a whole year.  I've been prescribed pepcid because my primary suspects the metaplasia/inflammation/ulcers are not healed. I often have pain on my right side abdomen below the rib cage, is something wrong with my liver? am I a hypochondriac at this point? Lately I've been having very fatty oily stools that stick to the toilet bowl. I know this is a sign of malabsorption, heck I lost 3 pounds in 10 days this month, obviously not on purpose! I'm 110 pounds, I'm going to evaporate! My primary told me this week to try  the pepcid along with gluten free and dairy free diet, I am to report back in a month. I'm seeing a rheumatologist next week to sort out the positive anti ccp test, I'm not sure if I should ask to get celiac retested( i know i have to eat gluten for this) and ensure the EMA and DGP are done. I've only had one completely complete panel (in high school) and since then 2 negative ttg iga's and 1 barely positive. What the heck? I just want one day where I'm not worried about how much my stomach is going to hurt. I'm only 23, this has been consuming my life for the past 5 years.   
    • For me rice became a problem for a couple years.  Grapes were a problem also.  Neither of them are a big problem now.
    • Just heard from someone who got one.  Hers was heated in the original bag.  I guess not all Starbucks have well trained employees.  Sigh.  We must always be vigilant
    • The thing I saw said they are supposed to be able to heat them in the little package they come in.  Then just hand you the packaged sandwich.
  • Upcoming Events