This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sick And Suspicious

MartyrMom2

MartyrMom2 Rookie

Hey everyone! I am glad to have stumbled onto this site! I really appreciate the wealth of information and the sense of community here. I am a newbie and have posted under a few different topics already. I hope to not repeat myself, but I wanted to share my personal history to see if any of you think my symptoms/diagnoses (please see my signature or other posts) warrant testing for Celiac Disease or not. I am a 34-year-old female, but my health started to deteriorate 7 years ago. In late Sept.'05, I developed what I thought at the time was a stomach virus. I had pretty intense abdominal pain that radiated to my back and diarrhea. I purchased some Imodium and went about my day. My symptoms lasted throughout the day, only to stop the next, and then return again. My symptoms continued so I consulted a gastroenterologist. In Jan. '06, I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was diagnosed with IBS. I left the office with a pamphlet and a RX for Hyoscyamine. My abdominal pain and diarrhea continued for the next seven years (until present day). I finally discontinued the Hyoscyamine in Aug. '07 due to its ineffectiveness. I might as well have taken a placebo. I was diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism in Oct. '08 and put on Synthroid. While I am thankful to have had an astute physician recommend testing my thyroid (I know some women aren't as lucky), I am frustrated that I do not know the cause of my thyroid disease or my IBS. I am curious to know if it is Hashimoto's or not and furthermore whether gluten is the culprit. I have developed additional symptoms over the years, namely unidentified rashes, unexplained bruising, acid reflux, and lactose intolerance. I am slightly overweight and experience constipation as well, but my view is that w/ having an underactive thyroid, these symptoms don't negate Celiac Disease. My latest complaint is sciatica-type back pain. Let's just say my heating pad is my new best friend! What brought me to the suspicion of Celiac Disease or even gluten sensitivity again is that I picked up the latest issue of Woman's World magazine due to the headline grabber, "Sluggish Thyroid?" Inside it stated than an underactive thyroid might be due to an undiagnosed gluten or dairy sensitivity. I have two young daughters and I want to know if there's even the remote possibility that they have a chance to develop this disease. It wouldn't hurt to have some validation either. I know it seems like I've made up my mind, but after years of being treated like a neurotic nutcase, I suffer from self doubt. I would so appreciate any advice/suggestions any of you have to offer. Many thanks for taking the time to read my novel! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

It sounds like you might have it. Stay on gluten until all testing has been done, then go off it.

It is also genetic, there are two genes commonly found within 30% of the population that has been noted to be connected to celiac.

But, yes, with your issues, i would suggest going in and asking to have a full celiac panal done (which for the life of me i don't know off the top of my head) and then, should that turn out positive or inconclusive, go for the endoscopy. Regardless of its results, go try the diet.

I too had massive abdomen issues with my "D". It was random and got to the point where i'd have to take pepto bismol just to go out. Oh its just IBS the doctors said /sarcasm.

mushroom Proficient

Here's the full celiac panel of tests. Do be persistent in getting them all -- many doctors will only do the tTG IgA.

• AGA (antigliadin antibodies)-IgA
  • AGA-IgG
  • tTG (anti-tissue transglutaminase)-IgA
  • EMA (anti-endomysial antibodies)-IgA
  • DGP (deamidated gliadin peptide)
  • Total serum IgA

Get the testing done sooner rather than later - your PCP can order it. The sooner you know the sooner you can start feeling better. Even if your results come back negative you should try going gluten free for at least 3-6 months. And do stay eating gluten until all testing is completed.

Let us know how it turns out. :)

MartyrMom2 Rookie

Thank you, ladies or gentleman?! :unsure: I think I will pursue getting the full panel of blood work this week! Be blessed! :D

Archived