This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baked Goods Cooked At Higher Temperatures To Make Them Gluten Free?

jantrelau

jantrelau Newbie

So I went to kneaders and asked if they had any gluten free products. They said they had some gluten "friendly" items, whatever that is supposed to mean, and they also said that their eclaires were gluten free. I was excited about this, until I asked how they made them (in kneaders factory/got them from somewhere else etc.) They said that they were made by kneaders and that they were made with normal flour (containing gluten) but that they baked them at a higher temperature so that the gluten would be baked out of them. I just found this to be ridiculous. So I did some searches on if heat can kill gluten. From what I found on this forum, "It has been suggested on here that if you "cooked" the gluten at 600 for 1/2 hour, you could destroy it." I'm assumming this is talking about cleaning to get rid of gluten so that you could safely cook on appliances that had previously been used for items containing gluten. If you cooked an eclaire at 600 for 1/2 hour they would be charcoal. Does anyone have any sources they could share for information in regards to this. I do not like that they are advertising a gluten free item that they make with normal flour containing gluten. Had I not asked how they make their so-called gluten free eclaires I would have purchased and eaten them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

No baked goods made from wheat, rye or barley or contaminated oats is ever safe for a celiac.

Period.

You can bake the beejeepers out of it, and it will still CONTAIN the gluten protein.

Are you referencing something someone said about a charcoal fire and a grill perhaps?

GottaSki Mentor

they were made with normal flour (containing gluten) but that they baked them at a higher temperature so that the gluten would be baked out of them. I just found this to be ridiculous.

You were correct - that theory is a false. This is one myth that needs busting.

kareng Grand Master

What we were talking about is destroying gluten by burning it up. If you destroyed the gluten in a baked good, it would be a burned pile of ashes. Yummy!

bartfull Rising Star

Hee-hee. I just went to their website and wrote to them about it. I told them that anyone with celiac disease who eats these WILL get sick and that they might be in danger of a lawsuit. I told them that next time I need to go to Denver (which will probably be fairly soon, actually) I will stop in and check if they are still calling these gluten-free.

msmini14 Enthusiast

Unbelievable! Some compaines think we are stupid enough to believe this. I bought rice pudding about 4 years ago and it said gluten free on the label but had wheat listed on the label. How can it be gluten-free???

That is amazing this company told you that. So frustratring.

Archived