This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Girlfriend Making Me Sick And Dont Know Why

deals88

deals88 Rookie

Hey so just spent today and yesterday really glut-end after making it a whole 5 days (longest since it began 55 days ago). Ive changed my whole life so im beyond careful and have finally solved all the CC issues. So my Girlfriend comes over im already scared because every time Ive seen her this month i get sick and its def a glut-end reaction usual symptoms stomach pain, bloating and then the on rush of tiredness. They were much stronger this time as well.

Ive searched rigorously to find out if all her make up is gluten free, she no longer wears lip stuff just Vaseline. Ive emailed MAC make up to see if her powder and foundation are gluten free. The thing is she completely took off all her make up and showered etc and all through today it felt like it was getting worst. The all situation is causing a strain on our relationship either were fighting because shes upset she makes me sick or im blaming her for it when frustrated.

So has anyone exp with this also i should note she brushes her teeth after every meal and before she ever kisses me. Should i be aware of any other items such as: All make up, hairspray, hair products, perfume, tanning stuff, nail polish etc. I actually cant see her again till ive sorted something its too much. Any info will be appreciated thx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GottaSki Mentor

My first thought is - do you go out to eat together? Could it be cross-contamination from dining out? Or any food that you eat only when you are with her?

Second - has it happened every time you've seen her? That would indicate something she uses every day could contain gluten. Shampoo, conditioner, bath gel (haven't seen gluten in soap, but have in gels), lotions (body, hand, face), hair products and make-up (nail polish is gluten-free). Is all her showering/teeth brushing happening at her home? If so, maybe wash her hands and brush her teeth when she gets to your house. In my family we all wash our hands when we come home - we might be paranoid, but I'm hyper sensitive so the whole family would rather not risk it - was originally one of my kids idea when he was worried about bringing gluten home from school desks/computer keyboards, etc. on his hands.

Third - do you use any personal care items on the days you are going to see her that you don't use on other days?

Lastly, there is a chance you are reacting to something that you haven't found in your own food or personal care supply. I can't remember specifics, but do clearly remembering want to kick myself when I'd find yet another item with gluten that I was certain I had verified as gluten-free.

I understand how frustrating it can be to track down the last pesky sources of gluten. If you can get a list of her personal care products and post it - perhaps some people on the board can help shorten your research time.

deals88 Rookie

My first thought is - do you go out to eat together? Could it be cross-contamination from dining out? Or any food that you eat only when you are with her?

Second - has it happened every time you've seen her? That would indicate something she uses every day could contain gluten. Shampoo, conditioner, bath gel (haven't seen gluten in soap, but have in gels), lotions (body, hand, face), hair products and make-up (nail polish is gluten-free). Is all her showering/teeth brushing happening at her home? If so, maybe wash her hands and brush her teeth when she gets to your house. In my family we all wash our hands when we come home - we might be paranoid, but I'm hyper sensitive so the whole family would rather not risk it - was originally one of my kids idea when he was worried about bringing gluten home from school desks/computer keyboards, etc. on his hands.

Third - do you use any personal care items on the days you are going to see her that you don't use on other days?

Lastly, there is a chance you are reacting to something that you haven't found in your own food or personal care supply. I can't remember specifics, but do clearly remembering want to kick myself when I'd find yet another item with gluten that I was certain I had verified as gluten-free.

I understand how frustrating it can be to track down the last pesky sources of gluten. If you can get a list of her personal care products and post it - perhaps some people on the board can help shorten your research time.

Hey thx for taking time to answer. No we dont go out for dinner anymore till ive sorted all this. I eat the same food every day and the same portions everything's weighted etc this is for my gym training. Its 100 percent not me since i keep getting a string of good days till i see her and yes its every time i see her.

I make her brush her teeth here and wash her hands once she gets in and i dont think its paranoid at all i wash my hands at least 18 times a day and never put them in my mouth. All the same care products my day basically doesn't change in routine. No new food or products.

I get this weird sense its something in her hair buts its really just a feeling. I thing i have a list were wud be the best place to post it? thx again

GottaSki Mentor

Hair makes sense to me. I tend to go with those "weird senses" myself - I get them, my kids get them, trust them until you've proved them wrong.

You could add a list to suspect products on this thread or start a new thread with just the list - up to you.

I think you said you've done this already, but I find an email to manufacturer is the best way to determine gluten content. I usually ask if there is gluten used in the manufacturing facility as well as an ingredient. They don't always respond, but when they do it is comforting to have it in writing - added benefit is you can share the results.

ncdave Apprentice

Some hair sprays contain wheat.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Maybe washing face as well as hands?

shadowicewolf Proficient

the toothpaste?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Where does she work? Maybe there is something on her clothes, or maybe it's her laundry detergent.

deals88 Rookie

Hey all thx for all your reply's im just bout to get a large list from her for everything she uses which ofc has caused more aruging but it has to be done il post it here when i got it all and im also going to email all the companies for every product.

deals88 Rookie

So heres the List:

SHAMPOO DOVE HAIR THERAPY INTENSIVE REPAIR (concerned about this going to phone directly)

SHOWER GEL - Radox Moisture Shower Therapy with chamomile and jojoba oil (Chamomile seems to have wheat in other products going to email radox next)

Hair serum - Mess head hair Therapy Shine Serum (Already emailed this today)

Toothpaste - Aquafresh (Think these are all fine?)

Laudrey Detergent - Aerial Active Lift Gel ( concerned about this)

Body spray - dove pomegranate and lemon verbena

LOTIONS - Palmers Coco Butter!! I see one of the Ingredients is TOCOPHERLY ACETATE which is AKA Vitamin E and just read this from following web page Open Original Shared Link

Ok so all is left is the make up she wears which seems like the hardest part to figure out.

EYES - Rimmel Kohl number 6 jet black (EYE pencil for those to arent women :))

NYC NEW YORK COLOUR SKY RISE , EYE shadow BEAUTY UK EYE SHADOW COLLECTION

Face MAC MAKE UP MINERALISED SKIN FINISH NATURAL, MAC STUDIO FIX N35 (FOUNDATION)

NO lip stuff just Vaseline

Fake Tan - ST.MORIS

Eye brows - MAC MAKE UP EYEBROW CRAYON PENCIL SPIKED COLOR

BLUSH MAC MAKE UP STYLE POWDER BLUSH

So that's them all long nite ahead of googling. I would appreciate anyone who can eliminate a product it would be really helpful. Thx

deals88 Rookie

below is a list of chemicals that would inditace gluten if anyone doesnt already know them

i found them on one of the forum pages its not my research.

Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour

Cyclodextrin

Dextrin

Dextrin Palmitate

Hydrolyzed Malt Extract

Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Flour

Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer

Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch

Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Flour

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Gluten

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch

Wheat Amino Acids

Wheat Germ Glycerides

Wheat Germamidopropalkonium Chloride

Wheat Protein

Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate

Yeast Extract

deals88 Rookie

Forgot to add the paragraph with the link:

Wheat germ oil is often found in beauty products and may be labeled as tocopherol (vitamin E).

Although the amount of wheat germ oil found in tocopheral may be low,

it is important to always contact the manufacture to insure their vitamin E is derived from a different source.

If the manufacture does not know where their tocopherol is derived from we recommend finding an alternative beauty product.

Remember any amount of gluten is too much!

Just emailed the company hopefully get some answers.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have had this problem with my husband. Good luck getting through it. It can certainly cause problems with the relationship. Since my son also has celiac disease, my husband finally got tested a few years after our diagnoses. He found out that he had it too and things got better when he was also gluten free. I think it must have been that the tooth brushing was insignificant, since he had already gone gluten free in our home, and he didn't change other products as they were already gluten free.

deals88 Rookie

Thx Dilett, i was thinking this and thought maybe a mouthwash would help aswell. I just dont know anymore, it would prob be best if she ate nothing gluten the whole day when she sees me not very practical long term though.

deals88 Rookie

Got a reply from the Mess Head company, im sure he meant from and not form :) Looks like he took a second to do this suppose this should be crossed off then?

Hi Chris

Mess Head Hair Therapy Shine Serum is free form Gluten, wheat etc.

Hope this helps

Simon

GottaSki Mentor

I think you are correct and can cross off the Mess Head product.

Aquafresh is safe.

The item I suspect on your list is the MAC makeup. I didn't use this exact foundation, but did use another of their foundations and it was not safe. I can't remember the problem ingredient, but do remember it took me a while to find out it wasn't gluten free. That was also over three years ago, so they may have changed their ingredients.

Just a warning...try to verify it with MAC before you mention to your girlfriend - I didn't wear foundation often and even I was extremely ticked off to lose my MAC - it is very tough for women to find just the right foundation.

deals88 Rookie

Least were getting somewhere, ive now emailed every company about all the products so hopefully have some answers by mid week. Hey Ski i spoke to a mac artist today via live chat and she said there might be wheat in the Mac skin finish natural powder so i emailed them and have a phone number to ring on mondday.

That may be a problem lol ive already told her its prob going to have to go. I will pay for all her new make up i still understand though it can be hard to find the right make up. I thought MAC was meant to be one of the better companies its so frustrating. Thx ski

GottaSki Mentor

That must have been a fun talk :unsure:

Great detective work...make sure you emphasize all the products she'll still be able to use in the next discussion.

If you really end up in the dog house you could offer to take her shopping for a replacement - not just pay for it - of course if she takes you up on it be careful - the other women at the make-up counter may try to clone you ;)

deals88 Rookie

Haha none of it has been.

I was thinking that would be a good idea maybe some shoes as well as make up, hahaha wasnt expecting that. Currently its only 4 items below sure she can handle that

PALMERS VITAMIN E GONE!

MAC MINERALISDD AND BLUSHER LIKELY TO GO

NYC MASERCA LIKLEY TO GO

RADOX GONE AND BODYSPRAY

psawyer Proficient

below is a list of chemicals that would inditace gluten if anyone doesnt already know them

i found them on one of the forum pages its not my research.

Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour

Cyclodextrin

Dextrin

Dextrin Palmitate

Hydrolyzed Malt Extract

Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Flour

Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer

Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch

Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Flour

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Gluten

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch

Wheat Amino Acids

Wheat Germ Glycerides

Wheat Germamidopropalkonium Chloride

Wheat Protein

Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate

Yeast Extract

Most of those items do indicate gluten. I have bolded four that may or may not contain gluten, depending on the source.

Wheat germ oil is often found in beauty products and may be labeled as tocopherol (vitamin E).

Wheat germ oil contains tocopherol, but the terms are not synonymous. There is much more than tocopherol in wheat germ oil. It would be incorrect to use the term tocopherol to label wheat germ oil--like using "sugar" to describe grape juice.

Tocopherol, when listed by that name, is a highly refined product which may be extracted from a variety of sources. The Canadian Celiac Association lists tocopherol as safe in food, without qualification.

deals88 Rookie

Hey Psawyer, thx for bolding those items though i haven't even seen any of those chemicals in the products i am investigating or i could eliminate them.

That was well described, ive been reading around and alot of people seem to be wary of Tocoherol/Vitamin E in their products. I see but does that apply to all beauty products also. I emailed the company and asked them what source is it derived from. You seem to have good knowledge on the subject do have any opinions on the list of products in the OP. THx again

psawyer Proficient

Sorry, I can't add any knowledge about the specific products. Somebody did answer that the toothpaste is gluten-free. My wife does not use any makeup or fragrances so it is not a realm we deal in. FWIW, Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo, Ivory soap and Colgate toothpaste (all varieties) are gluten-free.

T.H. Community Regular

Re: the tocopherol. In the USA, when I've inquired, it's most often been derived from corn if it's plant based.

mommida Enthusiast

I missed reading the brand and scent of underarm deodorant/antipersperant.

I was glutening myself from Ban Sweet Surrender, which had barley in it. That would be rubbing all over shirts and possibly long hair. I honestly didn't believe it could make me sick, but when I switched to a safe product I wasn't getting sick.

deals88 Rookie

Re: the tocopherol. In the USA, when I've inquired, it's most often been derived from corn if it's plant based.

Im awaiting response from the company but ive already put it on the remove list just to be extra safe. Thx

Archived