This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Miss The Most?

Slr38

psawyer Proficient

I'd also love information on gluten free beer. I was so looking forward to stout season...

Five gluten-free beers are available in Ontario. All are available at the LCBO at selected locations--you can special order at any of them. One is available at selected Beer Stores; again special orders are available.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I'd also love information on gluten free beer. I was so looking forward to stout season...

RedBridge is widely available since it is made and distributed by Anheuser-Busch. New Grist and Bard's are harder to find. I have not yet found one that is anywhere close to a stout. I do miss Guinness.

For a darker brew, Open Original Shared Link is pretty good. It is made in Quebec. I don't know about availability in the US.

catsmeow Contributor

RedBridge is widely available since it is made and distributed by Anheuser-Busch. New Grist and Bard's are harder to find. I have not yet found one that is anywhere close to a stout. I do miss Guinness.

For a darker brew, Open Original Shared Link is pretty good. It is made in Quebec. I don't know about availability in the US.

I am reading this and enjoying a Red Bridge, you made me want a beer!!!

I was visiting a doc friend of mine who happens to also be gluten intolerant, and she had a beer that was dark and stout that said "gluten free" on the label, but was made with barley. The label explained that the gluten was processed out or something like that, rendering it gluten-free. I'm not a risk taker, but trusted my friend, who drinks this beer regularly, and is a doctor, so I drank one, and no, I did not get sick, and yes, it was good. I also drank it on another evening, and did not get sick. I will have to call her and ask the name of of it and get back to you guys. Have you heard of this?

By the way, I love your easy chair kitty avatar!!!!

nvsmom Community Regular

psawyer - that picture in the link you posted made my mouth water...

• 7 months later...
surviormom Rookie

Has anyone ever contacted Olive Garden regarding gluten-free Breadsticks, they have a gluten-free menu, why not breadsticks too?  

That is what we miss in this house the most, that and croissants.

Shadowicewolf, your list fits for me, with a few mods....choc fudge ice cream, clam chowder, lasagna. 

VeggieGal Contributor

I really miss Desperado beer and miss Not having to read labels all the time plus the inconvenience of just grabbing sandwiches on the go from a shop :(

surviormom Rookie

I really miss Desperado beer and miss Not having to read labels all the time plus the inconvenience of just grabbing sandwiches on the go from a shop :(

I can second the labels...I am so tired of labels shopping takes twice as long and can cost twice as much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

june27 Apprentice

The thing I miss more than any food, is the ability to be able to eat anything without having to worry about it, and the freedom to not have to plan every meal/snack of every day.  

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Rye bread. How I miss a hot delicious loaf of rye! And obviously, there is no gluten-free sub for that!

Mitzi - Schar makes a pretty good facsimile - the Deli Style bread.  It's my go to bread right now.

For me, I miss a real croissant, and the getting madeleines to dunk in my Starbucks coffee.

But mostly I miss the convenience and spontenaety (sp?) of being able to decide 'when i get there' what to have.  Or grab whatever strikes my fancy at the moment.

Auntie-Manda Apprentice

Hi, my name is Amanda, and I'm a junk food addict. :P

Judge as you see fit, but I miss animal crackers, ramen noodles, being able to eat out, stuffed crust from Pizza Hut, mozzarella sticks, deli soup (cream of chicken w/ rice and chicken dumpling, specifically), flour tortillas and the quesadillas they make, flaky biscuits and croissants, normal brownies and cookies, to name a few things. I hate it that my body hates the things my mouth loves!

GottaSki Mentor

Glazed Old Fashioned Donut - forgot to have one in the days before going gluten-free - coulda, shoulda - didn't.

Flaky, buttery Croissant --- Ohhhhh

FRESH bread, French or Sourdough - warm with butter --- Ahhhhh

It really is a rare occasion for me to miss any gluten item, but I frequently wish for the ability to go to a restaurant and try whatever their specialty is.

Wow -- what a difference a bit of healing makes...the above post was at the tail end of the worst autoimmune flare of my life --- late November brought the last and next to celiac dx - the most important piece of my puzzle to return me to the land of the mostly functional.

My current answer is...don't miss anything on my previous list except for the last item and Shroomie -- but she was not gluten filled ;)

GottaSki Mentor

I can second the labels...I am so tired of labels shopping takes twice as long and can cost twice as much.

Ditch most labels - shop mostly the perimeter of the store for whole foods and your bill will go down while your family's health will improve -- our groceries actually cost less now -- although that first year gluten-free just about broke the bank!!!

GottaSki Mentor

Judge as you see fit, but I miss animal crackers, ramen noodles, being able to eat out, stuffed crust from Pizza Hut, mozzarella sticks, deli soup (cream of chicken w/ rice and chicken dumpling, specifically), flour tortillas and the quesadillas they make, flaky biscuits and croissants, normal brownies and cookies, to name a few things. I hate it that my body hates the things my mouth loves!

Welcome Amanda!

You must make brownies today!  We use Betty Crocker gluten-free Mix and add one cup of choc chips -- sometime I add frosting -- most batches simply get topped with powdered sugar -- I bring these to every pot luck we go to so my kids always have something safe and yummy that is easy for me to make.

kareng Grand Master

Welcome Amanda!

You must make brownies today! We use Betty Crocker gluten-free Mix and add one cup of choc chips -- sometime I add frosting -- most batches simply get topped with powdered sugar -- I bring these to every pot luck we go to so my kids always have something safe and yummy that is easy for me to make.

People always say I make the best brownies. Gluten Free Pantry has a good mix with the chips in it. Or use the choc chips or mini ones ( they melt in better) in the Betty Crocker ones. I like to add Kraft caramel bits. I made some of the Betty Crocker ones and put a chocolate ganache on them. Then cut them into bite sized squares and put a raspberry on each square. I put them in little truffle sized muffin cups/ truffle cups. Very popular at a party and my mom who won't eat, munched them up.

I'll be back in a minute with the ganache recipe

Caramel bits - They Melt in. Sometimes in the baking isle sometimes with the candy

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I just make the brownies the regular way and in a square pan. Put parchment paper on the bottom and its easy to get them out to cut neatly. Plop them all out on a cutting board. Use a plastic disposable knife to cut gluten or gluten-free brownies. This is a nice easy ganache recipe.

GottaSki Mentor

Yep...good brownies are essential -- especially when going to a party, picnic or when those pesky "I can't have this or that" mood strikes!

I'm copying Karen next time...I do everything but the raspberry -- that will kick it up a notch :)

For Brownie Frosting I use:

2 cups choc chips

2 teaspoon vanilla

1 can sweetened condensed milk

Melt in a sauce pan....spread while warm -- it sets up firm -- keep the extra for another batch -- makes enough to frost a round two layer cake.

nvsmom Community Regular

1. Beer. gluten-free beer is ok, but I was a beer snob before and the fact that I can't have a Brewster's stout or two this winter is really disappointing.

2. My grandmother's recipe for sweet dough cinnamon buns. They were absolutely amazing, and it makes me a bit sad I'll never taste her recipe again. I'll miss this the most.

3. Perogies... but I know a good celiac Ukranian who has a gluten-free recipe so I might try it this fall.

4. Convenience. I think I notice this one the most. I can't order a cookie with my coffee, or even some flavoured coffees. Timbits are out. I miss not having to worry about packing gluten-free snacks if I'm running errands with the kids; it was so much easier to order a pizza if running late or buy a burger with fries. Making gluten-free chicken nuggets for my kids is definitely more of a hassle that opening a frozen box up... I'm slowly getting used to not relying on convenience foods but that is the thing, for me, that is the hardest to adjust to.

Lisa (Gottaski) after seeing your post, i thought I would revisit my intial post as well. At the time, I was about 4 months gluten-free, and I was a couple of months into a very bad autoimmune flare too (my hands felt like clubs and I thought I was going to end up bald). It wasn't my finest time. It mostly resolved around Xmas.

Hmmm, I don't miss beer any more. I drink so rarely that it's a non-issue. I found a good substitute recipe for grandma's cinnamon buns but I don't make them into pretty little rolls because gluten-free dough is harder to work with... and I'm lazy.  :D They are cinnamon globs. I don't miss perogies anymore - I rarely eat any grains anymore except when I make muffins because we are going to be out (because picky child #2 doesn't like snacking on fruit and veggies) and rice every week or two.

I do miss convenience.  The diet is a hassle. I dislike telling my kids "no" when someone offers them a cookie or some rice krispie squares they thought were gluten-free. I would like to be able to stop for fast food if I needed to - but our current rate of fast food at about twice a year is much healthier than our old way of ordering a pizza once a week.

Oh!  I have a new one. I miss having a night off from cooking once a week when we would have ordered pizza in the past. I have lazy days when we have leftovers or sandwiches, but I'm still pulling it together... I need to teach my kids to cook!  LOL

Editted to add, I miss Mushroom too.   :(

Archived