• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Support Groups In The Chicago Area

3 posts in this topic

Maryw88    0

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any active support groups in the Chicago area. I am near Evanston too. I would love to get together with some people going through the same things.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

kareng    1,992

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Mikeandmelissa87

• Topics

• I am sorry that your daughter was glutened.   I do not have any tips to offer except to drink plenty of fluids, rest, and have her eat as healthy as possible.   Do you have a 504 plan in place at her new school?  
    • Thank you.  I will try your suggestions.
    • Yeah I tend to have Mr. Hyde come out with gluten exposure. Honestly he was not present with my last few minor issues....anyway. Plenty of fluids, bone broths if she can do them. whole food soups. Avoid processed foods, have more whole foods and greens. Green and herbal teas can help. NOTE there are some enzymes that can help shorten gut issues but I think your daughter is past that point so lets focus on the mood. I find foods that promote melatonin, serotonin, and happy feelings work great. I would suggest hemp but recently there has been a huge industry issue with finding a safe gluten free powder form as most are CCed now. Pumpkin Seed protein from Oregon Seed Oil company can help with mood and is rich in nutrients. I might also suggest a B vitamin complex and perhaps a magnesium complex.....NOW these are not confirmed by check out Natural Vitality Calm for kids see if it might help. I use Liquid health Stress & Energy and Neurological support to help with my mental state, but that company makes some other stuff that might address our daughters issues more, as a liquid you just mix in juice, water, or tea it is great for getting supplementation. http://www.liquidhealthinc.com/products/
    • My daughter (6) was recently glutened by a friend of the family.  She gave her a drink that didn't have gluten in it but was made at a factory that has gluten contamination.   She recently just started a brand new school because we hadn't diagnosed her allergies yet and she has severe behavior problems when she is glutened and she wore out her welcome at Catholic School.  We were keeping her gluten free and her behaviors were wonderful.  Like I said she started the new school and was doing great unbeknownst to me she was glutened and I did not know.   She had a terrible week at school punching people kicking people hit and kick the principal. She is wet the bed every night for 8 days.  Is there any way to flush this out of her system faster.  Normally when she gets glutened it's a 10 to 14 day process.  It hasn't happened in a long time..... Right now I can't even send her to school.
    • I'm so sorry. Nursing school is rigorous enough on top of all this stress.  And, kudos to you for cooking regularly even in school.  I've been through a lot of school and I never managed that.  I can see how it feels hopeless to try and change your roommate's behavior - almost like an insurmountable hurdle! After reading all of these followup posts, I was doing some more thinking. One idea  is posting an add for a gluten free roommate next semester. The more I talk to people the more people I meet that are gluten free. Maybe there is someone out there like you. And one thing I know about medical people is that they are not embarrassed to discuss medical problems (even the ones they should be embarrassed to discuss  )  Put the word out there in your class - find out if there are people doing something similar - maybe they are gluten-free for health or mood or diabetes. And look for people that are low carb, Whole 30, Ketogenic or similar - those folks don't eat gluten either - they just don't call themselves "gluten free".  Maybe you don't have to be trapped in your current situation.  I eat a lot of eggs and beans which are cheap ways to get protein without meat. Also, (and I know this might be controversial) but there is a study out there, that says that celiac patients that get neurotic about avoiding gluten and focus on only eating certified etc  have a worse quality of life (and no improvement in control of their celiac) compared to people who are not as neurotic and eat gluten free foods (but don't only eat certified). That may be a whole separate post - but it's worth considering. I'm one of the neurotic types but I'm thinking about how to be not so crazy!   I wish you the best!
  • Upcoming Events