This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Spicy World Of Usa - Nuts!

GottaSki

GottaSki Mentor

Good Morning All-

About a week ago I was able to add almonds back to my limited list of safe foods. I find almond butter quite expensive, so I purchased a four pound bag to make my own. It was really easy to make, unfortunately I had a gluten-like reaction within the first hour. My initial symptoms to gluten ingestion are bloating, suddenly tired and very grumpy - followed by two or more days of other fun symptoms.

I email the company that processed the almonds and was thankful to get a response that confirmed my suspicions - as many small companies do not respond leaving lingering suspicion. I asked them to consider adding a shared facility statement to their products and am posting their email here so that the next person to research Spicy World products will find info. Please note this company is Spicy World, not Spice World.

" Re: almonds - gluten

1 message

<spicyworldofusa@gmail.com> Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 1:06 AM

To: Lisa <@gmail.com>

Hi Lisa

Yes there is. I am very sorry.

Thanks

Katherine

Spicy World of USA

On Oct 11, 2012 10:15 PM, "Lisa " <@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there any gluten used in the same facility that your whole almonds are packaged?

Thank You!"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

PS...for those of you that are thinking it...I've already kicked myself for not sending this email before I purchased and ate these almonds. This isn't the first time I've gotten burned trying to save money. More caution will be used next time - well maybe ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

So sorry, honey. :(

FWIW, I have called a company and asked BEFORE eating their products and they assured me it was safe (wheat is not processed in the same facility --but could not guarantee what the source for all materials was---and if they did share lines, they run the gluten-free ones first on Monday and clean them thoroughly)

Now, I did not stop to think...okay, but then, they are going to run the other products all week long, clean the lines and then run more gluten-free products the next Monday.... :rolleyes:

DOH!

Yes, it bit me on the butt and was sick as a dog for 2 weeks (thus earning me the sensitive label from my doc), so don't beat yourself up over this one.

I always recommend nuts.com (no, I am not a paid spokesperson and not affiliated with them because if I were, I'd have them lower those dang shipping costs!!)

But they are my go-to company for certified gluten-free nuts, gluten-free flours, dried fruits, etc. and I love the quality. I have received an order in 24 hours, no kidding.

I have never had a reaction.

Hope you're feeling better. ;)

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks IH :)

Not beating myself - I give a quick kick and move along - had plenty of "dohs" - certainly enough to know this won't be my last ;)

My grumpy and froggy symptoms are much better this morning - digestive and body aches and pains will last a bit longer, but I know they'll improve.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Glad to hear your frogginess is hopping off.

Great news about getting almonds back.

I can eat them, but my son is anaphylactic allergic, so I can only have them away from home on my own. Roll on my November nut fest.

I can't tell you what a joy trying to to gluten free nut free is in the uk (not!!!)

GottaSki Mentor

Glad to hear your frogginess is hopping off.

Great news about getting almonds back.

I can eat them, but my son is anaphylactic allergic, so I can only have them away from home on my own. Roll on my November nut fest.

I can't tell you what a joy trying to to gluten free nut free is in the uk (not!!!)

Thanks Mindwarp :)

Living with multiple allergies/intolerances sure does make life interesting. Anaphylaxis makes it plain scary - had my first such reaction last year - boy I thought I had it tough before - not!!! Sure hope your son is able to stay safe every day.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Ouch. I thought about doing the same with peanut butter, but for the life of me, could not find a package without the "being processed with...." blah blah blah.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived