This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can You Get Dh After Going gluten-free For Two Months?

gatita

gatita Enthusiast

I have some very small rashes that I've had for a couple years that I've suspected might be DH. This week some new ones showed up on my tummy and arms.

Is it even possible to have a new DH outbreak after going off gluten?

I've had a few accidental glutenings of course but am mostly free of GI symptoms the last couple of weeks after being super careful. Yet this rash suddenly showed up in new places.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Yes. It is entirely possible to have dh outbreaks after going gluten-free. It is talked about in medical literature. Until all the IgA gets out of our skin you can have dh outbreaks EVEN if you haven't gotten glutened or cc'd. Stress can be a trigger. But the dh can break out for no discernible reason at all.

You might try limiting your iodine intake. Iodine is known to have an effect on dh. Gluten lights the fire of dh & iodine keeps it going --- this is also in medical literature. For low iodine see:

Open Original Shared Link

Check the link & see what you may need to eliminate but off the top of my head:

Dairy

Egg Yolks (whites are fine -- the yolks contain the iodine)

Canned goods --- cans contain iodine

Seafood

Carageenan

Sea Salt

Iodized salt

Potato skins --- peel them deeply

garlic

coconut & coconut products

spinach

navy beans

sesame seeds

swiss chard

strawberries

watermelon

lima beans

turnip greens

water chestnuts

cranberries

blueberries

It can take up to 2 years (& even longer) for the antibodies to get out of our skin.sad.gif

You must have been on the verge of having bad dh but you went gluten-free. Let's hope this is just a small outbreak for you & they stay small outbreaks.

I'm so sorry this has happened. Hugs! (((gatita)))

Here are some links for you:

Interesting Reading on DH:

Descriptions of DH Types:

Help for the Itching, Stinging, Burning, Pain of DH:

DH Photobank:

Also, dh is very sensitive to the tiniest amount of gluten so be very vigilant.

gatita Enthusiast

Thank you soooo much for the info & hugs! Having a rough day as I just accidentally glutened myself again, grrr.

So far the rash is tiny so hoping it stays that way. But I do eat a lot of those foods, so I will cut back and see if that helps. And thanks for the links!

squirmingitch Veteran

Awwww, sweetie, I'm sooo sorry you got got.sad.gif

Now that you have the rash it's going to be imperative to try to never get glutened. I know. It happens.

gatita Enthusiast

Thanks and you're right! I know I have to get even MORE vigilant about labels... this time it was something gluten-free but "made in a facility that processes wheat." Sigh. Still learning...Luckily the rash isn't any worse, just the GI stuff.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Yeah, I got a couple of spots after I started the diet, or maybe they were before. They are mild and occassional, but very itchy. So now I can really sympathize somewhat intelligently with the itch. I am thinking that the skin doesn't like something coming out through the pores.

Archived