This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Support Groups Near Pittsburgh?

Guest The Weasel

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

We desperately need decent-tasting gluten-free items up north, especially at Giant Eagle, or Festival Foods (I like them better than Giant Eagle becasue they're not taking over everything in sight)!

The buyers at Giant Eagle are idiots, I swear. They only stock Food FOr Life frozen breads, they have a couple of Bob's Red Mill flours, and they don't have any gluten-free corn flakes or rice crispies (unless you count fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles). I've also sent them letters telling them that all their soy cheeses (they actually have aq few) contain casein, so someone who can't eat dairy still can't have those cheeses! But they just don't get it.

They do have a good marketing staff. THere's a huge billboard overlooking the parking lot at Whole Foods advertising the Giant Eagle a block away:

New at Giant Eagle: hundreds of natural and organic items, with new lower prices!

Now you don't have to spend your Whole Paycheck.

Or something similar to that. It was very cheeky.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest ldeverhart

Im 25 and live in mt. washington. I havn't been completely diagnosed yet, but I had a blood test come back positve (cant remember which one). Ive started the gluten free diet and am feeling better, im going to keep it up....If anybody knows or has a list gluten free menus in pittsburgh (or grocery stores with a variety of gluten free items)....keep posting.

Does anyone know where I could eat in the south side?

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Ideverhart

I have a good friend who lives in Mt Washington on Sycamore Street. I live in Butler.I go alot to shop at Sunnybridge Natural Foods in Mc Murray Pa. She has a website too. Also Whole Foods, and in Mt Pleasant there is a good store and also in Indiana Pa is a good store.

As far as eating out I know Mitchell's Fish House at Waterworks, Chili's,Bravo's are pretty helpful. And Peter's place I think has gluten-free menu. I will down on the side side on MOnday I'll have to check out what's there.

The red robbin has a gluten-free menu as well as outback.....

pm me anytime

mamaw

Fiddle Faddle

Where was the store you mentioned in an earlier post located and the name of it ???? I would love for these stores to carry alot of items instead of running from to there for one or two items....I go to the East End Coop for Cookies, Whole Foods for a few things . I don't think our Whole Foods has very much gluten-free stuff they need to step up their gluten-free items. Plus they are pricey. I really didn't care for their home baked breads.....

thanks

mamaw

Is anyone ready to help start up a gluten-free business????

mamaw

• 2 months later...
Guest The Weasel

Has anyone else gone to the Bravo! that was mentioned? My boyfriend lives in Fox Chapel so that wouldn't be too far to go to from him and I absolutely adore Bravo and would love to know what I can eat there. I've been wanting to go there for a long time now, I've only been there once and it was to the one at The Waterfront.

Does anyone know of anywhere else in the area that accomodates the gluten-free customer? I have been to P.F. Chang's and love it. Eat'n'Park I've had less than pleasurable experiences with but now that I have a copy of their gluten-free Menu I'm good. Giant Eagle has a new Gluten Free brochure that lists their gluten-free foods and lunch meats and cheeses. I wish I would have gotten the name of the employee who waited on me, she was a godsend. She saw I had the brochure in my hand and asked me if I wanted her to wipe down the equipment before slicing my meats and was very nice about it even though it was the end of her shift and I probably held her up considering I was getting a lot of things and it took her a while to clean the machine.

I'm looking for more places to eat basically. My boyfriend and I and our friends like to go out at least once a week and I'm always worried about what I am going to get to eat and I'm sick of sticking with just a salad so if anyone knows of anything I'd truly appreciate it. I like to be prepared before I get to the restaurant so I don't have to cause a scene questioning everyone about everything.

Also, someone mentioned the health food store in Oakmont. It's called Today's Market, I missed their Gluten-Free sampling they had a few months ago. It's about ten minutes from my boyfriend's house. I have been there two times now. They have an awesome Gluten Free selection now and everything is labeled on the shelf with a big tag that says gluten-free on it. I buy a lot of food there. However, like everywhere else that I have shopped (Nature's Way, East End Co-Op) they might not sell everything you're looking for but they have had by far the greatest selection I've seen in that they sell different things than the other stores I've been to and it's easier to find them since it's clearly labeled. I haven't been to Whole Foods yet as I'm still not positive on how to get there but I might try to make a run out there in July some time.

• 3 months later...
booboo Newbie
There's a store on Banksville (in the South Hills, about 10 minutes from downtown) in the Kuhn's Plaza--they stock a TON of gluten-free stuff, including frozen Kinnikinnick stuff, although the whiute sandwich bread is so good, I'm going to order it direct by the case if I can). I can't remember their name, but if you go to the Kinnikinnick website, you can find who stocks their stuff, and that's how I found the store.

Carnegie here! Diagnosed in July, and very obsessed with it. The store you're looking for is Good Life on Banksville Road. Every third Thursday they offer a 10% discount on gluten-free items. I have found other Giant Eagle's that have gluten-free items that even the Upper St. Clair bigger-better-whatever store does NOT have. Did anyone know that some of Emeril's products are gluten-free? I haven't tried them yet, but I hear they're tasty. Also, Trader Joe's is opening in Lawrenceville at the end of this month (over 300 gluten-free items they say), and Mt. Lebanon is considering a Trader Joe's also. Bravo's in the Galleria Mall in Mt. Lebanon can make a gluten-free pasta meal, I hear you need to call Jan the Manager before you go. And as far as joining Pghceliacs, I just received a message that the director does not have time for support groups right now. They do have good information on other events in the area though. Hope this helps!

Has anyone else gone to the Bravo! that was mentioned? My boyfriend lives in Fox Chapel so that wouldn't be too far to go to from him and I absolutely adore Bravo and would love to know what I can eat there. I've been wanting to go there for a long time now, I've only been there once and it was to the one at The Waterfront.

Does anyone know of anywhere else in the area that accomodates the gluten-free customer? I have been to P.F. Chang's and love it. Eat'n'Park I've had less than pleasurable experiences with but now that I have a copy of their gluten-free Menu I'm good. Giant Eagle has a new Gluten Free brochure that lists their gluten-free foods and lunch meats and cheeses. I wish I would have gotten the name of the employee who waited on me, she was a godsend. She saw I had the brochure in my hand and asked me if I wanted her to wipe down the equipment before slicing my meats and was very nice about it even though it was the end of her shift and I probably held her up considering I was getting a lot of things and it took her a while to clean the machine.

I'm looking for more places to eat basically. My boyfriend and I and our friends like to go out at least once a week and I'm always worried about what I am going to get to eat and I'm sick of sticking with just a salad so if anyone knows of anything I'd truly appreciate it. I like to be prepared before I get to the restaurant so I don't have to cause a scene questioning everyone about everything.

Also, someone mentioned the health food store in Oakmont. It's called Today's Market, I missed their Gluten-Free sampling they had a few months ago. It's about ten minutes from my boyfriend's house. I have been there two times now. They have an awesome Gluten Free selection now and everything is labeled on the shelf with a big tag that says gluten-free on it. I buy a lot of food there. However, like everywhere else that I have shopped (Nature's Way, East End Co-Op) they might not sell everything you're looking for but they have had by far the greatest selection I've seen in that they sell different things than the other stores I've been to and it's easier to find them since it's clearly labeled. I haven't been to Whole Foods yet as I'm still not positive on how to get there but I might try to make a run out there in July some time.

Of course you know about Outback and the chocolate thunder down under? Flour free brownie. Yummy. I had a VERY GOOD experience with Outback, very knowledgeable waitresses, too. Does anyone know of any bars that sell the Bards Tale beer? I'd rather socialize in public than drink beer at home!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I haven't been to Whole Foods in several months. It was very disappointing--they did not have a separate gluten-free section, so I had to read millions of labels. Their gluten-free bakery is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, and I didn't think the products tasted that good anyway. I'm baking Annalise Roberts' recipes instead--faster than driving to Whole Foods, and a Whole lot cheaper!

• 1 month later...
kokopelli Newbie

My fiance graduated from Fox Chapel and now lives in Shaler (I'm in Economy)... I haven't found much out that way (North Hills Bravo offered me wheat pasta!)... Cranberry has been good to me... Bravo! carries Gluten free pasta... Red Robin has a dedicated fryer and I have eaten there several times with great success (plain hamburger no bun - although we keep asking for this on the comment card). I have gotten glutened at Eat 'n Park both times I tried to eat there and all I had was the fish (plain) and a baked potato (plain). Be careful there... hopefully you have a better experience. That Giant Eagle is awesome and the Bell and Watson chicken nuggets are great! They also carry most Tinkyada pasta (my favorite!)

Hard Rock Cafe was very helpful! Last I checked (July) they used a dedicated fryer for the fries and the steak and hamburgers were safe (no bun and limited seasoning). Nakama is WONDERFUL (South Side - November)... I called ahead to see if they could accomodate me and they stated that they could (for Kobe Beef or steak), but no soy sauce... however, I could bring my own. When I got there I explained no soy sauce and as I was handing over my triumph card... he asked if I was allergic to soy or gluten! He felt safer having it cooked in back than in front of me... but I got the meal I wanted (of course no soup, soy sauce) and could enjoy the evening... Mitchell's Fish has a gluten free menu as does Texas Road house.

I have checked out a lot of places and keep expanding my list... I enjoy it, it's kind of fun (I'm a little strange, I guess). I may have spoken to others, but have them in my notebook.

Whole Foods has been awesome... while everything is not together... if you know the brands you are looking for... they are mostly together (pizza in one aisle, pasta/cookies in another)... I have found the gluten free bakehouse pizza crust to be quite tasty. I found them to be about the same price as other brands. Gluten Free Pantry Beth's mix (flour substitute) has worked well in my grandmother's homemade bread recipe - just add xanthum gum.

Hope this helps... I'd re-check the restaurants again, just to be sure... but maybe this will help trying to locate those who have been celiac-friendly in the past.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

If your looking for places to buy gluten-free , there is a new Trade Joe's in Pittsburgh. Plus the East End Coop... I still shop in McMurray at Sunnybridge. They have a large selection.

I eat at eatnpark alot & never had a problem.....

mamaw

• 2 years later...
Brittany2 Apprentice

Its nice to hear so many people are in Pittsburgh! I live in downtown going to the Art Institute. I'd be nice to talk to someone in the area! I never got an official diagnosis, but I know being gluten free is such an improvement!

Oh I noticed that Cereal was missed, did you know that Chex was gluten free? There's also the EnviroKids cereals in the organic foods section of Giant Eagle.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Hi Brittany, I'm Lisa & I live in West Mifflin. I'm two months in the gluten free diet & I still have so much to learn. Right now I just stick with mostly unprocessed foods since my tummy is so sensitive right now.

If you'd like to pm, please do. It would be nice to talk to someone in Pittsburgh who knows what I'm going through. Do you for the the Art Institute School? I went to school at Pgh. Filmmakers. I'm a fine art photographer. I'm been sick for some time before they found out I had celiac disease, so I'm just starting to get back into it. And slowly getting better. It's just taking a while.

I hope you know where to find all the good food stores. I was just shopping at Whole foods tonight in Shayside. Boy, I just Love that store! They make gluten free foods so easy to find! And Trader Joe's is not far from there, too.

Hope to talk to you soon!

• 1 year later...
pghmamacita Newbie

Hi all,

I do not have Celiac Disease, but my son was diagnosed in August (four months after being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes). He just turned 10. It has been extremely tough, but I have found if you talk to the managers at Giant Eagle they will help you out and order the foods you request. Have specific suggestions...for example Snyders gluten free pretzels are the best ever all of my son's friends want them at lunch) so I asked the manager to get them and within a week they had them. There may be some items they can't order, but go to management. Especially if you point out you will shop there more often if they supply your food needs. In Pittsburgh I would also suggest the Good Life Market (on Banksville Rd. in the S. Hills), Market District Giant Eagles, Whole Foods, and there is a store in Mt. Lebanon something Eden. Oh, Nature's Basket in the Strip District.

I will tell you that Whole Foods really has some good stuff....I found frozen biscuit dough and my son loves them. They are flaky and perfect. Also was able to get a pumpkin pie and pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving. If you like chicken nuggets there are two brands I would tell you to buy...Coleman's and S'better. They look like real chicken which is half the battle with a child.

He also likes Mandy's frozen pizza crust...they are a pizza shop in Westview...they have gluten free pizza and other meals. Only at that location...but whole foods carries their frozen crusts. My son lives off of the Snyder's pretzels and the Coleman chicken.

I know I am going on and on...but I feel like I have forgotten something. I would like to start a support group somehow. It doesn't seem like there is anything directly in the Pgh area. Let me know what anyone thinks. I am already worrying about high school, college, and when he can drink (legally) at bars.

It would be nice to hear from an adult who has lived with Celiac. This is harder for him then taking 5-6 shots a day for his Diabetes. That was a walk in the park, this is a storm that seems like it will be with us forever.

mamaw Community Regular

Pghmamacita-----I sent you a private e-mail on this site....

mamaw

• 2 weeks later...
mamaw Community Regular

Just wanted to give you people from the Pgh area some info. Jan. 29, 2011 from 9-3 at the Doubletree in Monroeville there will be a celiac workshop.....some vendors will be there & also speakers...

hope to see you there...

blessings

mamaw

Archived