This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Possible Dh? (Pics)

OHtummytroubles

OHtummytroubles Rookie

Good afternoon all :)

I am sure this is a stretch, but wondering if anyone could take a few moments and look at my pics to see if they believe I may be in the middle of a DH outbreak. With the swelling involved, I was assuming they were bites, however this has happened multiple times over the past two months and will be very random in nature as to when it appears. I can not pinpoint any specific cause...I only know it is unbearably itchy and inflamed when it occurs. The itch is so intense that I rotate hydracortisone and benadryl with minimal effect on the problem. If I itch the areas/rub the areas the swelling seemed to extend further out in the initial inflammation period. These most recent pics were taken starting Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and today Monday to show the progression. Once inflammation goes down you can see the smaller blisters that are fluid filled. I will get the small blisters on other areas of my body, not just wrist area. This has happened on lower face/chin, above knee/upper leg, and arm. I seem to always have areas sporadically that will be blisters that break open with the clear fluid. They will last quite some time and always leave a scar. The scar starts out a purple-ish red and then over time will fade a bit.

I have been food-allergy tested and am told I have 28 food allergies, but I cannot seem to figure out how one would eliminate that many foods, so I haven't eliminated any foods at this point. My allergist basically gave me an epi-pen, told me to not eat the offending foods, and sent me on my way to figure it all out. This is my second round of testing ( a year later ) which confirmed the allergies. He basically told me to avoid all vegetables (Beans/Peas were high allergen), Wheat, Corn, Rye, Barley, Soy, Potato, Tomato, Carrrots, Celery, Cinnamon, essentially all nuts...etc. Meats & dairy were A-OK but I am lactose intolerant.

Soooo....the pics:

This is right when it started:

Open Original Shared Link

Itchy/inflamed if even touched:

Another pic...after inflamation started to go down:

After shower (super itchy in shower):

In daylight, inflammation going down and you can now see the blisters:

Today the inflammation is much less, but blisters are noticeable:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I stopped trying to Id DH visually, so in really if no help.

Of you have a reaction to gluten or iodine (meaning it makes your rash worse) its a good hint it's DH.

I'm sure some here will say it looks like DH, others will say no.

DH usually has a 2 week (or so) life, and tends to itch more at particular times of day (later into evening). The sores usually swell and fill at night, drain, repeat for almost a week then start drying up. But as sure as I just said that, someone will disagree with me.

If you think it's DH, try going gluten-free and perhaps low iodine for a few months. If things improve you'll know you're into something. You could also ask a dermatologist for a biopsy.

OHtummytroubles Rookie

Thanks for the response. I would take te breakouts/itching any day over the severe stomach pain that afflicts me daily. My stomach literally revolts 24/7. It's just mentally exhausting. Was hoping that all if the symptoms together would provide a clue. Going just gluten free has never helped me completely as I have other allergies. Unfortunately I guess I am just one if those people who will be "out of luck" and have to live in pain:/ Hard to accept, but after this long I've given up hope.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, quite frankly, all you can do is try.

Pick a group of foods and avoid them, keep a food diary, and see what happens.

I certainly understand what it is to be in constant pain, and don't wish it on anyone.

OHtummytroubles Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I will do my best. I know people here can't really give me answers without knowing history, test results, etc. Was just a random shot in the dark and a silent prayer for an answer/pain relief. :) My kids deserve me at my best...and I am really trying for them. If they were older I wouldn't be as worried.

Archived