This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Confused

AshBil

AshBil Rookie

I'm completely new to this whole thing. Celiac and the message boards here. I was diagnosed with celiac just a week ago after having an endoscopy and blood tests. I feel like I should mention I'm a 20 year old female too. I had to wait until this past weekend to go completely gluten free because that's when we have the money to go grocery shopping and I had nothing in the house that was gluten free basically. But anyways, I started being Gluten-Free just Saturday, so only two days ago. I know it's going to take a little time to get better and everything but I've felt terrible these last couple days. I'm more nauseous now than I was when eatin gluten. And I know I'm not eating anything with hidden gluten since everything i have eaten in the last few days all say gluten free right on the packaging. I haven't felt so nauseous before. I'm just wondering if this is totally normal, like if its just my body adjusting to the change or some kind of detox type thing. Because, before I was diagnosed, I of course felt sick but this is worse. I haven't actually vomited but I've never felt this extreme nausea in my life. And it's only been like this since I stopped eating gluten. Like I said, I'm very very new to celiac and am still learning about what I can and can't have so I really am just curious. Thank you to anyone who can help!!!

-Ashley

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Ashley, go to the "Newbie 101" thread and read and heed all that you see there. Then read as much as you can in other threads, especially the ones under "coping with". There is a lot to learn, including the fact that not everything labeled gluten-free actually IS gluten-free. Stick with whole foods for a few months - plain meats, fresh fruits and vegetables. Foods like that have only one ingredient so there isn't much chance of cross-contamination.

Expect to go through gluten withdrawal. You will probably get headaches at first, and be really hungry all the time. Eat lots of small meals or snacks. Have a piece of fruit. Bake a potato. Chew on a piece of chicken. Make sure you get enough protein. If you can tolerate nuts, they make a good snack, but be aware that a lot of canned nuts are made in a facility that processes gluten foods and so can be cross-contaminated. Planters nuts are OK if you read the label.

Reading labels is IMPORTANT! If a label says, "made in a facility that processes wheat", you MAY be OK with it, but then again you may not. Personally, I won't touch any food that says that. And you need to get in the habit of reading the label EVERY time you buy something. Companies change their recipes all the time depending on the availability of ingredients. Something you bought last week might be OK, but this week the ingredients may be different.

You need to check all medications too. Most are made with corn, but some have gluten. Your lipstick may have gluten too.

I know it sounds overwhelming, but take it one small step at a time. If you start with just whole foods, then after reading here and learning about labels and cross-contamination, you will be fine. Expect to have setbacks. We all did/do. But you are on the path to good health, and we are here to help you.

Feel free to ask as many questions as come to mind, and if you need to rant or whine or cry, feel free to do that here too. The wonderful folks here saved my sanity by allowing me to vent. We're all in the same leaky boat, and with each other's help, we will all be, not only fine, but we will thrive. :)

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Ashley,

The start can be kind of rough going, and it may take a while for things to settle down in your GI system. People often report they get more sensitive to gluten after going gluten-free. probably it is that they notice the symptoms more too. You got some good advice from Bartful already. Your gut has lots of bacteria in it and you have just changed their daily diet without asking their permission. Good heavens, the nerve! :) Kidding about the permission, but it is a big change. Those bacteria can die off and make you feel bad, and other strains can take their place. Probiotics and a simple, low sugar diet can help. Not eating lots of processed gluten-free foods is also helpful. Try some Mission corn tortillas or taco shells instead of gluten-free bread. Much cheaper and easier to digest, as long you don't have a problem with corn anyway. your small intestine is around 20 feet long so there is a lot of tissue that needs to heal. That healing process can vary quite a bit time-wise, but the cleaner/simpler you keep your diet the quicker it is likely to happen.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.

Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.

Don't eat in restaurants

Eat only whole foods not processed foods.

Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Take probiotics.

Take gluten-free vitamins.

Take digestive enzymes.

Avoid dairy.

Avoid sugars and starchy foods.

Avoid alcohol.

FAQ Celiac com

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/forum-7/announcement-3-frequently-asked-questions-about-celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101

What Are You Cooking Tonight?

Easy yummy bread in minutes

nvsmom Community Regular

I was a tad bit nauseated early on. I think it was because I was eating too many processed gluten-free foods. Try not to eat a large amount of packaged foods if you can; many gluten-free foods are nutrionally very poor and can do a number on your tummy if you eat a bunch.

Withdrawl could be an issue too. I felt pretty poor my first couple of weeks but it did improve greatly after that.

Stress could be a factor too. You've been through a lot and that can throw your body out of whack and irritate pre-existing autoimmune problems like celiac.

Hang in there.

Archived