This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Perfumes...

shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf Proficient

Alright, so i've had somewhat of a bad day today. Went to class, got to my third one of today, walk in and it smelt like someone had dumped an entire bottle of perfume there. I could feel the start of a major headache/throat ache coming on. Fine, told the professor that i might have to leave because of it (as the classroom has NO ventilation whatsoever). Had to stick it out because the attendence sheet went around whilst i was out of the classroom (i had to go outside for a bit, but left my digital recorder in place). Fine and dandy.

Came back to my apartment after missing the shuttle (ugh) and ate lunch (pb and honey on corn tortillas + some honey on a rice cake (yes i know, carb overload, leave me be)). Went back out to my next class, where i was for about 3 hours. On my walk over to my final course, I felt something strange.

My left side of my face felt as if i had been laying on a heating pad for a while (including the ear). I had also just passed a group of people that smelt like they had drenched themselves in perfume... again.

Its just now starting to go away (after a long shower which helps). I used to get this type of reaction (though more of a burn with it but it would start out like this) when i would eat tomatos. It is NOT a fun feeling (or memory for that matter). I say this because benadryl (should this keep up for another hour or so) is the only thing after an exposure to something. I kid not.

Taking into account that it had been about 4 and a half hours after i ate, I do not believe that is the cause. Every single time i've had an reaction, it was always within the first 30 or so minutes after exposure.

I should also note, such allergies to chemical like things run majorly within my family. For example, my grandmother cannot step into home depot without breaking out in hives. The same goes for being around perfumes and whatnot.

Just thought i'd come on for some ideas.

/end somewhat paranoid rant

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I understand the sensation you are describing. Happens to me in department stores or if I walk by one of those perfumey stores like Bath &Body or VS.

I can get an immediate, growing crushing headache very quickly. Fresh cool air, and avoiding "migraine" triggers is all I can do. A shower helps. Washing my face in the bathroom helps. Washing my sinuses with a Neti pot helps, too. So does an antihistimine.

It is MUCH LESS SEVERE now gluten-free;however, during allergy season it's much easier to trigger a scent reaction.

shadowicewolf Proficient

glad i'm not alone. This is the first time with the face thing though, so i got spooked :unsure:

Its, i'd say, completely gone now. So strange though <_<

T.H. Community Regular

Can you have wine at all, or does it make you sick?

I react to the same thing - perfume, big-time, plus store-bought tomatoes, too.

My own reaction has been due to sulfites. They are used as a preservative in the majority of perfumes, which is why I react to those, and they are in a commonly used spray to ripen tomatoes, too.

If wine makes you sick, too, you might want to check out sulfites. If it doesn't, then there is no way it's sulfites, as wine is high in sulfites. However, maybe it would be worth your while to check out common ingredients in perfumes and ingredients in any common sprays or ripening agents used on tomatoes and see if there are any ingredients used in both. Might be able to find out what you react to, you know?

Oh, another possibility? There are a few genetic enzyme deficiencies that can be checked by a geneticist. I do not know the names, but was just talking to someone about this the other day who had a deficiency that wouldn't let her body process certain toxins - some in perfumes - properly. Since so many in your family have this, that might be worth a look, too, if you save up for the tests, you know?

shadowicewolf Proficient

i've never drank wine, but i've had it in food stuff (its been a while though) with no issues.

I'll definently look into it.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I can drink wine...though after my wine tasting experience last fall I have a hard time drinking more than one glass of red.

Wine can give me a headache, other times I'm fine. But alcohol in general can make me headachey -especially if its allergy season.

Essential oil scents don't make me sick, and some perfumes are fine...but a "store full" bugs me, as well as spending too much time in the cleaning products line at the grocery store.

And don't get me started in the old guy that wears a bottle of cologne TO THE GYM....

Archived