• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor:
    Celiac.com Sponsor:

Would You Eat This? (Paranoid Cc Question)

9 posts in this topic

I know this is totally paranoid but my anxiety seems to be getting the best of me today and I just want to make sure this is okay: In the refrigerator drawer there is a bag with a head of romaine lettuce. The bag has some little air holes and the top of the bag was just twisted closed, not sealed. On top of the bag was a package of flour tortillas. The bag were closed but had been opened before. As long as the person who handled the tortillas didn't actually touch the lettuce after touching the tortillas, it should be fine to eat the lettuce, right? Or would the outside of the tortilla bag be loaded with flour remains from processing that could get into the unsealed lettuce bag? I know I probably sound so crazy right now but please just humor me and let me know if you would eat the lettuce in this situation? Thanks so much.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I preface this by saying I am not a super sensitive, but I would think if you washed off the outside of the lettuce bag, removed the head of lettuce and took off all the outside leaves, and then washed the lettuce as usual you would probably be reasonably safe. I would eat it - you may not. :rolleyes:

I would remove the outer lettuce leaves and use the rest. :)

I'm paranoid, and I second Patti. No need to toss the whole thing, just the leaves that touched the tortilla bag.

I'll add a third to Patti's post.

Ads by Google:

Remove outer leaves and store in another, zip lock bag and enjoy.

I am very sensitive and I echo Mushroom's and Patti's suggestions.

No need to toss the entire head of lettuce.

Take off the outer leaves (which I would do anyway ---as I often get lettuce from local farms and they often use cow poop for fertilizer :lol: )

....wash and enjoy!

I would not eat the lettuce. But then again I would not have flour tortillas in my fridge ( or my home)

But then again I would not have flour tortillas in my fridge ( or my home)

:D well that's a given in my house, too...........