This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Negative Bloodwork

Slr38

Slr38 Apprentice

So after almost two weeks of waiting I finally got my results back.

Turns out they only did the screening for TTG Iga!

Here is what the report says:

Tissue Transgluaminase Iga 1.1 kU/L Ref. Range 0.0 - 20.0

Immunoglobulin A 1.78 g/L Ref. Range 0.60 - 4.20

I saw a Resident as my family doctor was away. He said I did not have Celiac Disease. I asked him if I was not supposed to have more tests done and he said no, this was the only one needed. I know there are more tests to be done but if he says no, what do I do now? I think the lab only runs the other tests if the TTG Iga is higher.

The test screening info section on this site is down for maintenance so I could not look anything up.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Oh wow. I fully expected to to have a positive test; I'm really surprised that your ttg Iga didn't come back positive after that positive Biocard ttg Iga home test you did a couple of weeks ago. :huh: I don't know how one test can be positive one week and then the next week, when it's done by a different lab, it's negative...Unless celiac can flare like the other autoimmune diseases and you've entered a time when gluten isn't bothering your body as much...

Did the resident have any opinion about the Biocard test and the the discrepency beteen the two results? Now you're stuck with figuring out which test to believe. :( No fun.

When my tests were done by CLS, they ran the EMA as well, but my ttg Iga result was rather high... I have no idea if that lab runs ttg IgG tests or the deaminated gliadin peptide tests (DGP IgG and DPG IgA). It could be worth checking into.

(Hugs) to you. I know how much you were hoping for a clear result and not more confusion. I do hope you'll still consider going gluten-free for a few months (once you are sure all of your testing is complete) to see if that helps you. With that positive home test, I think celiac could be a factor in the health issues you've had and a trial of a few months might help.

I wish I could be of more help. I imagine you must be pretty frustrated, so I wish I knew more about the testing and why your results came out this way. Pm me if you need to vent. Best wishes.

Slr38 Apprentice

I typed a long reply but it does not seem to be here?!

So, to make a long story short;

I emailed 2gpharmas to inquire about my results. They have now sent my questions to the manufacturer. I will let you know what they say.

The resident did not have much to say and had never heard of the home test. He only said that the test I had was all that was needed.

I too thought I would have a positive result. Very frustrating indeed!

I am not sure what my next step is. I am considering visiting a Naturopathic dr. and see what she has to stay. The initial visit is an hour so we should be able to cover a lot.

My quest continues...

Slr38 Apprentice

Hello again,

I just looked up the Celiac tests on the lab website and this is what it says:

"Initial test of Celiac Disease Screen includes TTG and IgA. Additional reflexive assays will be ordered as required and may include Anti-Endomysial Antibodies (AENDAB) and TTG IgG. "

I guess since my TTG Iga was normal they did not go ahead with the other tests. Does this make sense? I thought if you tested negative for one test you could still test positive for other tests. Am I wrong?

Thanks again.

nvsmom Community Regular

I curious what 2G Pharma will say. I would assume they'll stand by their product. :huh: I know it worked for me... you would think it would only show the line when it's reacting with the ttg IgA...

A homeopath or naturopath might be a good idea. They can work wonders for people. I have one good friend who had an autoimmune nerve problem on her face which caused her eye to slouch shut. She was on prednisone for decades and it barely helped, and then she started with a homeopath who started her on the right remedies and completely cleaned up her diet (good foods, very limited additives, and lots of organics), and it's been in remission for years. It she feels it acting up, she takes her remedy and tweaks her diet... As we know , diet can really affect your health.

And yes, you are right. You can test positive for some tests and negative for others. As far as I know, EMA is considered a good test for celiacs because it indicates ongoing significant damage is being down to the small intestine; ttg iga shows damage has been done to the small intestine and can be caused by milk or casein allergies or severe gastrointestinal illnesses. Together those two are pretty definitive. I don't know about the DGP tests or IgG because I didn't have them done, nor were they offered to me; I didn't look them up. I would request those tests but I have no idea if CLS does them. You might want to check those Enterolabs mail order tests if you can't get them here.

It is possible that you are gluten intolerant and don't have the intestinal damage happening. All the same symptoms like nuerological, intestinal and hair loss can occur in that group too. These symptoms are not just a result of gut damage or of nutrient malabsorption. For example, I am a celiac, but my nutrient and vitamin levels were almost all perfect but I still had thin hair and migraines (and other symptoms).

What my ramblings mean is that your diet could be causing the problems, but you may not end up being a diagnosable celiac. Tweaking your diet, for a few months at a time so you can be sure of results, may be a good next step when you are sure you are not testing anymore.

(hugs) to you. I hope that someone else can offer you good advice. Hang in there.

Archived