This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 Day Delay?

Pegleg84

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Hi All

So, I've been pretty diligent lately, cooking at home, taking digestive enzymes at every meal (which has been a huge help!), and eat out maybe once a week and somewhere I trust. Been doing generally better, though when I do have trouble it's always a question of: was it gluten? milk? soy? something else completely?

Anyway, last week I ate out 3 times, and while I ate at places I trusted and asked all the questions, there's always a possibility of getting CC'd. I ate out last on Saturday. Anyway, felt fine until tueday afternoon when I got a wicked headache, almost migraine-like (don't want to call it that, but it could be), and yesterday morning I woke up very sluggish, stomach pains, worst D I've had in a while, managed to have a shower but couldn't stomach breakfast because of the nausea. Anyway, I stayed home, slept for another 3 hours, and felt better by mid-afternoon.

As we always ask ourselves, what did I eat? I'm starting to suspect I have about a 2-3 day delay on a reaction, especially since it might be to very small amounts of cross contamination, made worse if accumulated over a period of time. I did eat a very small amount of tzaziki (dairy) inadvertently. (Ironic that this happened just after getting out of my endoscopy...)

I guess I wanted to complain (I hate missing work just cause my stomach is being stupid!) but also to ask if this makes sense. Can you time the delay on when you get cc'd to when you react? Or does it sound like it could be something else I'm eating (corn? nightshades?)

Anyway, put in your two-cents. I'm feeling a lot better today at least, and will continue to be even more careful.

Thanks

Peg

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BushMommy Newbie

I typically can feel the reaction in my muscles in my back/shoulders before I feel them in my gut. My gut takes about 2-3 days to catch up right now. As for it being other items, I don't know. I haven't narrowed mine down to anything (maybe because I'm in denial about any other possible causes! ha), but I'm sure it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

In the beginning it's really hard to figure it out. I would get an almost immediate headache at one point, flu symptoms later. "Ball in stomac" feeling 24 hours....

Finally, it has settled into a severe stomach cramp @ 24 hours, then reflux for almost 2 weeks.

I did trigger an AI attack (so to speak) last winter by being too careless, too often, too close together (eating out, drinking alcohol that I didn't screen - flavored vodka). That was a few months of generally feeling like crap. Don't go there.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I get slammed with a belly ache and, often, "C" after i eat out. My acid reflux acts up and i can't think straight. Lasts for a couple of days (it could be worse lol)

rosetapper23 Explorer

Is there any chance that you may have had a stomach flu? It's going around right now.....so just a thought.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

For me it is a 3 day delay for most of my symptoms. This is especially the case for the stomach issues. I do get some neuro issues within 24 hours so then I get to have a couple of days of knowing what is coming, no fun. :(

When I was diagnosed my doctor told me to challenge suspect items for a week before trying anything else as it can take up to a week for the reaction to happen.

stefb Newbie

Wow, This is my first time on this forum and every symptom I have finally makes sense!! I was just thinking today why do I not react right away to certain foods (gluten). Now , reading these posts , all my questioning has been answered. I'm also at 2-3 days.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pauliewog Contributor

Back when I was trying to figure out why I was sick I did a gluten challenge. I had been off gluten a couple of weeks. I had Friday off so I started eating gluten on Thursday knowing I'd wake up deathly ill on Friday. I felt fine! I continued to eat gluten through the weekend. Then I woke up Monday morning and BAM, I spent 12 hours vomiting. I haven't had gluten since!

stefb Newbie

1. Why is there a delay for the onset of symptoms? I get the swollen lids with goop, heart races/ iregular heartbeat, major brain fog, terrible digestive issues, skin etc. ... basically cant leave the house.
  2. Pauliewog, I too have not been eating any gluten then had about 2 full days of gluten foods starting Tuesday& Wednesday , and yesterday morning it hit me hard. Today I'm feeling much better but still not fully recovered.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I dint know why, but the nd I saw yesterday had a name for it. I'll have to write it down next visit...delayed "something" response.

It is real "medically"....

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Stomach pain in 20 minutes - feel like I've eaten a brick - literally! Rapid heart beat and big hot flush. Can trigger a migraine.

Next day often wake with symptoms of a bad cold which goes in a couple of hours then get the shakes and need to eat.

Through all this terrible nausea and the big C for 2-3 days. Can have to concentrate on not being sick.

Can get really upset, depressed, pessimistic, etc, etc.

Well worth avoiding gluten.

In the past, had trouble making cake/bread go down - perhaps my body was trying to tell me something - must be a very slow learner :blink: .

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Well, looks like I'm not the only one.

It's actually pretty amazing I haven't gotten the flu yet this year, since it seems to keep going around my office. But no, no stomach flu. i felt nauseus, but no vomiting (I've got a pretty strong stomach for being nauseous so often).

I think realizing that it does take 2-3 days to kick in for me might be a sign that most of my mystery issues have been gluten cc related in the end. Maybe there is nothing else hurting me? Maybe I just need to be super extra careful. I am definitely getting more sensitive to cc though. Ergh

The big test will be the end of the month when I'm in the UK for a week. 3 days of that I'll be cooking for myself, thank goodness, but hopefully I won't get attacked by something beforehand (likely to be milk, rather than gluten, actually).

Archived