This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gallbladder Attack Or Pancreatitis? Anybody Help?

MitziG

MitziG Enthusiast

Spent the night in the hospital with what felt like a typical gaLlbladder attack. HVe had a few over the years, always textbook symptoms, but had a HIDA scan a few years ago and ultrasound this spring and always say gallbladder is fine. This time white cells and pancreatic enzymes were both elevated. They want to do another HIDA scan. I have a theory that I have gallbladder "attacks" after accidental glutenings (usually a few days after the initial sickness passes, as that seems to be the case.) My theory is that gluten irritates the gallbladder. Of course, the gastro shot that theory down cause everyone knows celiac ONLY affects the small intestine, right? ;)

Anyway...just wondering what your thoughts are. I know elevaTed pancreatic enzymes are common in untreated cceliacs, but mine were normal before. Would they go up in response to a glutening? Do I need to just get the stupid gallbladder out? This is the 2nd aTtack this yeAr and it was a bad one!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I say gallbladder. Mine would be horrible after i would have a major bout of "D". It got to the point where i was having them nearly every day. I couldn't bend over without it hurting. It holds the extra bile from the stomach, so if your stomach goes, it goes with it. It doesn't attack it like it does the intestine per say, but it is in the chain reaction.

Be warned however, (if you are in the states), they will not remove it unless it is below 30% working capacity. Mine was at 5% when it was discovered and they made me wait over a month.

At any rate mine was not working properly, half would work and the other half would work against it.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I had written about this on another thread - I had "gallbladder pain" and, while I didn't have the HIDA test, I did have an ultrasound & bloodwork - no gallbladder problem.

I have also thought I had appendicitis at different points.

For me, I guess it's just being glutened. This was a few years ago & I have since fine tuned my routine, my kitchen, etc. and am very careful. IMHO, the more stressed a person gets, the more spastic an already upset GI tract can get. Ugh.

Your blood level do seem to merit some more checking out though.

Framefunnyfarm Newbie

OMG! This is crazy!! I was hospitalized with what sounds like a similar attack back in July.

I was doubled over in pain and my pancreatic enzymes were off the chart when I was admitted. They diagnosed pancreatitis. whats the treatment for pancreatitis? I.V and no food by mouth. They started an I.V and started pumping fluids through me...12 hours later my levels were normal. The hospital staff poo pooed my questioning of them if this could be from a glutening. But, they also said they couldn't explain it. Normally a pancreatitis elevates your enzymes for weeks. I saw my doctor for a follow up and she said while it didn't make sense it TOTALLY could have and probably was glutening I had that night that caused it.

In my mind that had to be it!

Hope you feel better soon! I had my gallbladder, appendix, and a total hysterectomy before being diagnosed celiac because doctors could NEVER explain my belly pain.

Be really careful about cc

MitziG Enthusiast

Sitting in lab drinking gross barium now for a CT scan. Really hoping they find some answers this time. So tired of this. Whatever it is.

Framefunnyfarm Newbie

Can you recall a potential glutening that happened prior to the pain?

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Spent the night in the hospital with what felt like a typical gaLlbladder attack. HVe had a few over the years, always textbook symptoms, but had a HIDA scan a few years ago and ultrasound this spring and always say gallbladder is fine. This time white cells and pancreatic enzymes were both elevated. They want to do another HIDA scan. I have a theory that I have gallbladder "attacks" after accidental glutenings (usually a few days after the initial sickness passes, as that seems to be the case.) My theory is that gluten irritates the gallbladder. Of course, the gastro shot that theory down cause everyone knows celiac ONLY affects the small intestine, right? ;)

Anyway...just wondering what your thoughts are. I know elevaTed pancreatic enzymes are common in untreated cceliacs, but mine were normal before. Would they go up in response to a glutening? Do I need to just get the stupid gallbladder out? This is the 2nd aTtack this yeAr and it was a bad one!

A glutening can knock down the villi in the small intestine. The hormone CCK, which tells the gallbladder to squeeze is made there. So, a glutening can cause a lack of the CCK signal being delivered triggering pain. Normal function should improve as you heal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MitziG Enthusiast

Well...I didn't noticeably react...but I took a chance I normally wouldn't. As in eating the TOP of a really amazing piece of cheesecake...I stayed a good 1/4 inch away from the crust...but...I know. I shouldn't have. A moment of weakness. Anyway, I didn't feel sick after, but I felt a bit achy and my feet hurt, which is usually a telltale sign of cc for me. Then 4 days later, I have my "gallbladder" attack. So...not sure if the two are connected this time or not. In the past it happened after an absolute glutening, like the raging D and vomiting kind, followed by the attack a few days later.

shadowicewolf Proficient

oh dear :( its times like those when you make your own crustless one.

But delayed reactions are kinda common on here or so i've seen.

Archived