• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Nilla Wafers Sub?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi -

My mom makes a banana pudding every Thanksgiving. The filling is gluten free, but it involves lining a pan with Nilla Wafers. Anyone know a good gluten free substitute for the cookies? I'd like to make a little dish on the side for my son so he can have some too.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

How 'bout gluten-free lady fingers? I forgot what the brand name is but they are available and they are made to be soaked in stuff and layered with pudding and such.

There are a lot of great recipes available to make your own. Sadly I have seen nothing that is actually a replacement for them. I personally don't think I'd enjoy shortbread cookies covered in pudding and left to get soggy. On the other hand, I obsessed with timarmisu which means I am also obsessed with lady fingers. I'd go with them. Covered in a pudding-y substance is exactly how they are supposed to be.

Could you use gluten-free Graham crackers? Maybe just sprinkle them on top or in the bottom of the bowl, then spoon his pudding part in at the time of eating - keep them from being soggy.

Ads by Google:

All great ideas, thanks! Hmmm graham crackers - my son would be all over that. The Nilla wafers actually do get a little soggy (especially the ones at the bottom of the pan) but it still tastes good. I guess a soggy cookie is better than no cookie at all :)

Speaking from experience I would go with the lady fingers. You can buy them or make them. I have an excellent recipe for them if you are interested. They stand up to tiramisu very well.

Ads by Google:

We have used everything from Gluten Free Graham Crackers (I can only find them locally at my whole foods) Kinnikinnick S'moreables® Graham Style Crackers or their Animal style crackers - both worked good. Also, the Schar shortbread cookies would work (whole foods or Sprouts) ... not sure what stores you have around you. Good luck!

Animal crackers, at least the gluteny ones, are closest to 'nilla wafers I think. And it might be fun to have those animal shapes. My health food store carries Kinnikinnick breads. I'm going to ask them if they can get those animal crackers. They sound so good!