• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Testing A One Year Old

3 posts in this topic

Is it reliable?

She has received gluten through me. The whole house will be going gluten-free anyway, and she is having blood drawn for another test, so is it worth doing the celiac panel on her?

With thanks

Sarah

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

If they are already doing the blood work anyways, I would do the panel. BUT I wouldn't trust a negative. Children 2 and under are almost impossible to test. Some test positive though so I would go ahead with the blood work if you were already doing it. I would NOT recommend an endo though regardless what the blood work says.

thank you :) - I am def not doing an endo on her, that is for certain. We will be a GFDF household, so I guess it is something we will have to address in the future should her test come back negative.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    CRReid

• Topics

• After their seven-month-old baby died weighing less than 10 pounds, a mother and father in Beveren, Belgium, are standing trial on charges that they starved the child by negligently providing an alternative gluten-free diet, with no medical supervision. The couple, who ran a natural food store, put their son Lucas on an alternative gluten-free, lactose-free diet, which included quinoa milk, despite doctors describing it as unsuitable for developing infants. View the full article
    • At least in Caucasian Irish people!
    • Thank you so much for the reply, the book recommendations and the link. Really useful and I appreciate it.  Will definitely look into them.  Thanks again. 
    • an allergy test for tap water sounds quite suspicious, i've never seen any type of water listed as part of a food allergy test panel. i can't imagine how that is possible to test for, sounds like it would be a extremely rare allergy also doesn't tap water vary depending where you are. do you have a reaction to drinking water? what are your symptoms when you eat those foods?
      if it was an IgE allergy test, i believe the blood test more commonly has false positives than the skin scratch test but false positives are very common for both thats why there is usually a disclaimer saying that it may not be nesscessary to cut out all positive results especially if you have no allergic reaction after eating it. you allergist may be able to offer you some kind of allergen immunotherapy or a dietician referral.
      if you had the IgA/IgG food intolerance/ sensitivity testing, the same type of testing that is promoted a lot on instagram, it is not scientifically accurate. the positive results just indicate food you have been exposed too which are then wrongly interpreted as meaning they are allergies. so i definitely wouldn't make any significant diet chances based those results. other than an elimination diet there is no accurate testing for food intolerances although it would be great if there was. its possible that you could coincidently be intolerant or allergic to some those positive foods or you may have no problem with them.
      https://aacijournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1710-1492-8-12  
    • Are you sure TTG IGA was 1? Anyway, a high on any one test should lead to a gastroenterologist doing an endoscopy to confirm celiac. Your not supposed to go gluten free until after all testing is done. Your results show high for dgp iga and dgp igg. Not a doc, my opinion only.
  • Upcoming Events