• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
Mayasmum

Planning A Trip

Rate this topic

We are looking to go to Florida in April, flying the parents over from England, and am wondering how to go about finding the best place to go that will cater to our gluten-free/DF needs......

we will be driving from VA, and I can bring the normal boxes of food, etc that we normally have to travel with, but we will be staying in a hotel/house/who knows what for a week.

Thanks for any pointers!

Sarah

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

My first suggestion, coming from a super-sensitive position, is to get a hotel with kitchen.  If that doesn't work, bring cooking gear with you.  I can fit an electric skillet, and utensils in my carry-on. Do you eat out when you are around home because I won't even consider it? I can cook meat and veges at the same time in my skillet.  I have cooked in a hotel room for up to 7 people.  It can be done.

I would pack food for the plane.  I would bring canned chicken, canned fish, or hard boiled eggs.  I would bring gluten free muffins.  I would bring carrot sticks and fruit.  Some people like gluten free beef jerky.  I would take some nuts.  You can travel with some food.

Make a list now and start planning.  I keep my list and recently posted it.  One has to decide, with limited luggage space, what to take and what to buy when you arrive.  After you return, add anything to your list that you forgot, and delete any item you found you didn't use.  Next trip, you will have a list to start with.

Bon Voyage!

We've had good luck with VRBO.com    

We've rented small houses with kitchens, loaded up the cooler in the car. Also bring our own cutting board, colander, skillet, sauce pan, spatula.  I sometimes make food ahead and freeze it. It keeps the cooler cold and I don't have to cook quite as much. 

We've occasionally stayed in 'extended-stay" hotels but renting is often a really good value and more comfortable. 

The electric skillet idea is interesting! 

When we stay in hotel rooms with a fridge, we can get a lot done in a microwave with a covered silicone steamer.   Not perfect, but will do in a pinch. 

She was going last April, so I hope she had a nice time and found a good place to stay.