This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Interesting Article...

Guest DanceswithWolves

Guest DanceswithWolves

Hey everyone,

I have a friend that mailed me an interesting article from the Utah Tribune newspaper on Celiac disease relating to a family that lives out there. How they cope wit it, symptoms, etc.

I wanted to post the link to the article online but they will only give you part of the article and you must register and pay about $2.95 to receive the rest. I wish I could scan it and upload it, but can't. :(

Open Original Shared Link

Anyhow, I had my follow-up visit and I weighed in at a whooping 125lbs!

The doctors felt I was making progress although I explained that I was disapointed with the Gastrologist they sent me to.

I asked for a copy of all my lab work.

Everything came back negative.

Liver's OK...

No Celiac (according to them)

Fat absorbtion levels good.

I am, however having difficulty reading these numbers on this chart. Is there a way I can understand the numbers?

:blink::unsure::unsure::(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nikki-uk Enthusiast

What a shame,that looked like a good article!

Glad to hear that you've put some weight on.

Maybe you could post your results on this board-I'm sure someone could decipher your results,or try www.labtestsonline.org (sorry couldn't get link to work), it is an English website so I dunno if it's any good for your results.

Good Luck! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
paw Apprentice

I did a google and got what I think is the complete article if you want to read it. Open Original Shared Link

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Thanks for the link, paw -

Good article.

I found this section to be of particular interest,

"And they must be vigilant about unexpected sources of gluten. About a year into a gluten-free diet, Kegan began to show symptoms and his parents were puzzled. The gluten, they later discovered, was in the Teflon pans; Eileen Leatherow immediately exchanged them for stainless steel. "

...because an administrator of this board told us recently that teflon was ok as long as it was washed well and sent through the dishwasher...this is what he said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A thourough hand and dishwasher cleaning should be all that is needed--neither teflon nor wood should retain gluten in any amount that could detected if the items are washed properly.

I believe that this is one of those Internet rumors that won't seem to die.

Take care,

Scott

That was from this thread:

Open Original Shared Link

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps that family in Utah wasn't washing their Teflon pans well-enough?

Or, is this truly an issue we need to be aware of????

I ask because I baby-sit my nieces and nephew and need to know if it's Ok or not to use Teflon pans...and I cook at my boyfriend's place...I have been 'chalking-up' my remaining symptoms to not having gone dairy-free yet.

Gina

jerseyangel Proficient

Gina--I am wondering about this, too. My pans are not Teflon but have a nonstick surface -- the brand name is Ultrex and I don"t know exactly what the surface is made of. A couple of the pans have spots where the nonstick has been cut. My dishwasher has a sanitizing cycle which I use for every load. I wonder if I should be concerned?

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Just moving this one back to the top...it seems important enough to do so...

Gina

skbird Contributor

I don't think there's any reason to suspect "virgin" teflon pans, I think the contamination risk is if they are scratched or pocked or even honeycombed (like some I recently used) and that they can harbor gluten - if gluten items have been prepared in them, first.

I don't know what to think of this being an urban legend - it seems to me if anything can retain a small amount of gluten, then it can be a hazard.

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived