This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Getting Paranoid

tanvee

tanvee Rookie

I am feeling overwhelmed. I just found out we have to worry about our nail polish or even artificial nails too??? I guess new things are going to keep popping up as gluten is in everything. Who else feels a little paranoid even though I am trying my best.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Take a deep breath. Do you chew your nails? If not, don't worry. Gluten in products that you do not eat, and which can not reasonably be expected to be ingested, should not be a concern.

cavernio Enthusiast

Really depends how often you stick your hands in you mouth or the food you eat. Personally, even if I didn't bite my nails (among other things), I wouldn't want to have my very own hands, of all things, to always contain something poisonous to me.

I don't know about fake nails, but I know that doctors and nurses aren't supposed to wear nail polish. I thought it was because there's a lot of chance for chipping and flaking and generally getting nail polish where it's not supposed to be.

I think it's good to be a little paranoid when it comes to gluten, at least until you know you're healed and stable.

Imre Newbie

Normally there is a barrier between your blood flow and your skin. Only a small amount of people can get ill from having skin contact with gluten. It's rare if you would get ill that way, but it's possible.

Gemini Experienced

I am feeling overwhelmed. I just found out we have to worry about our nail polish or even artificial nails too??? I guess new things are going to keep popping up as gluten is in everything. Who else feels a little paranoid even though I am trying my best.

This is one of those things you just don't need to worry about. I am very, very sensitive and occasionally have my nails done and I have never had a problem. And before anyone chimes in that we are all different, Peter explained it well. You would not normally eat nail polish....it's not something you should ever ingest. I doubt you chew your nails because why would you have them done nice if you were going to chew them with nail polish on? And as someone erroneously stated that you could have a gluten reaction from skin contact....nope. That would be an allergy...gluten is not absorbed through the skin. It absolutely has to get into your GI tract. And last but not least.....I have yet to find nail polish with a gluten component to it. Not saying it couldn't happen but I haven't found one.

Ditto for the artificial nails too.....unless they do have gluten and you are eating them, go have your nails done and don't worry! :)

Archived