This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is The Deal With Quinoa? Gluten Free Or Not?

livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

I was under the impression that quinoa is gluten free. At our last CSA support group te leader mentioned that there is a new study out saying many varieties of quinoa are now found to have gluten in them. She is out ofte country kow for the next couple of meetings but I'm curious if anyone has heard of this or has any info? I love quinoa and quinoa pasta but have put off purchasing any until I'm educated further.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

designerstubble Enthusiast

Really??? Are you sure it's not just down to manufacturing? I've been eating quinoa since diagnosis nearly every other day and I have had no gi problems? Like you, I also hope it's gluten free! Apparently it's not even a grain, so we should be ok!

GF Lover Rising Star

I eat quinoa pastsa and have never has any problems with is and had never heard of bad gluten being in it.

shadowicewolf Proficient

If you wish to be technical, yes it does have gluten in it, just not the type that celiacs react to.

I believe i heard something about that. Some strands may be cross contaminated or something. One of the other members on here would know more.

psawyer Proficient

Biologically, "gluten" refers to the prolamine protein in a grain--any grain. Grains are members of the grass family, Poaceae, also known as Gramineae. This family includes the grains we refer to as gluten: wheat, barley and rye. Oats are also in this family.

Quinoa is not a true grain. It is a member of the Amaranthaceae family. As such, it does not contain gluten in either sense of the word.

Contamination with a gluten grain is possible. I eat quinoa with no problems.

Juliebove Rising Star

If you wish to be technical, yes it does have gluten in it, just not the type that celiacs react to.

I believe i heard something about that. Some strands may be cross contaminated or something. One of the other members on here would know more.

Yes. A lot of people get stuff like that wrong. When my daughter tested as intolerant not only to wheat but gluten, I remember the Dr. going off on me when I questioned him about the gluten thing. He told me that a lot of food has gluten in it, including corn. Which it does. But again, not the same gluten that people here have to avoid. Unless of course they have other issues with corn. But he himself was very confused and told me to feed her spelt. Which I did and of course she got sick. Because not only is spelt a form of wheat but it contains the gluten we refer to here! Another Dr. told me that she could have sprouted grains because once they were sprouted they became a live food. And yes, she got sick from that too.

Sadly she is now intolerant to quinoa! Corn and quinoa pasta was a favorite for making pasta salad.

AFAIK there is none of the gluten that needs to be avoided in quinoa unless of course it is cross contamination from the way it is grown, processed or packaged.

I know that's she was talking about cross contamination on a regular basis, I am just not sure which brands or types of quinoa. She will be back I'm January and I will definitely ask for the info that she had found.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...

Our group leader is back from her trip now so here is the link for anyone that was curious. It looks like a couple of the varieties of quinoa don't have gluten but cause an immune reaction.

Open Original Shared Link

DougE Rookie

I saw a story on this on this very website. http://www.celiac.co...iet/Page1.html. I was wondering if this would raise a discussion. Could have started the thread myself, but I'm not particularly fond of quinoa.

GottaSki Mentor

Quinoa is safe and gluten-free. Some of us have problems with other foods - the extremely high lectin in quinoa is the reason my damaged gut can not digest it now - I hope to add this nutritous food back into my diet at some point.

cavernio Enthusiast

Quinoa is safe and gluten-free. Some of us have problems with other foods - the extremely high lectin in quinoa is the reason my damaged gut can not digest it now - I hope to add this nutritous food back into my diet at some point.

The linked abstract says that 2 types ("cultivars" as it puts it, whatever that means) of quinoa activate T cell responses like gluten does in labortary cultured tissue taken from celiacs.

GottaSki Mentor

The linked abstract says that 2 types ("cultivars" as it puts it, whatever that means) of quinoa activate T cell responses like gluten does in labortary cultured tissue taken from celiacs.

Perhaps...I have heard of this T-cell response in Celiac Disease with other foods, but cannot find any science to back this up right now. What I know for certain is many foods that are high in lectins are difficult for my damaged gut to process - quinoa is one of these items for me.

gatita Enthusiast

Well, this AJCN study report is enough science to give me pause. This conclusion says two varieties of quinoa could trigger an immune response in some celiac patients.

Open Original Shared Link

Since I'm still in the early, super-sensitive stages, I'm staying away for now (like I do with oats).

I agree with gatita, after so many accidental glutenings and setbacks last year I always prefer to be safe rather than sorry. I don't even consider oats. I have had quinoa pasta with no issues three times in the past year and a half but this definitely gives me pause. The leader of our CSA support group said that you could call the manufacterer to see what strains of quinoa they use but I don't see the guilty parties listed so I wouldn't know what to compare it to anyway.

GottaSki Mentor

not sure...think I'm being misunderstood -- I am not dismissing the cited journal -- I meant I could not take the time right now to look up the other research I have seen that agrees with proteins other than wheat/barley/rye causing T-celll reactions in some with Celiac Disease.

sorry for any confusion -- my main laptop crashed so i will refrain from discussing such matters for now.

sisterlynr Explorer

I had a bad reaction when I ate Quinoa. I did find an article that although it is gluten-free it is not recommended for Celiacs.

I know I cannot eat Quinoa.

Archived