This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Leftover Turkey Suggestions

Marilyn R

Marilyn R Community Regular

I'm not a big fan of left overs, so I froze most of what was left over from Thanksgiving.

According to what I've read, you can only freeze the left overs for a month, and that's going to be appoximately when we do our akkkkk CHRISTMAS turkey.

I made tostados with refried black beans tonight, have done turkey hash.

I do tend to pinch a penny, but I'm considering throwing it all out and starting new.

Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I'm not a big fan of left overs, so I froze most of what was left over from Thanksgiving.

According to what I've read, you can only freeze the left overs for a month, and that's going to be appoximately when we do our akkkkk CHRISTMAS turkey.

I made tostados with refried black beans tonight, have done turkey hash.

I do tend to pinch a penny, but I'm considering throwing it all out and starting new.

Any suggestions?

Marilyn, I freeze leftovers for over a month and they're fine (depending on what they are, of course)

How about turkey tetrazzini made with gluten-free pasta or adding the leftover turkey to soup?

Jestgar Rising Star

Turkey salad sandwiches

Chop and put into spaghetti

Turkey soup, add to chicken soup, add to black bean soup

Mix up with taco seasoning for tacos

Turkey lasagna

I'm not a huge fan of turkey so I tend to use the leftovers in a way that doesn't make them taste like turkey.

Juliebove Rising Star

I am sooo sick of turkey! We have been eating it as is but cut into small pieces and mixed with some boxed gluten-free gravy over some stuffing that is mostly mushrooms, celery and onion with a small amount of bread and some olive oil, Nucoa and turkey broth. We did like it for a while but both my daughter and I went on overkill I think and we'd both be happy if we didn't see it again until next year!

When I was a kid, my mom would make turkey soup. I never liked that. Chicken soup, fine. Turkey? Not so much.

My dad would make it into a salad buy chopping it up and mixing it with halved purple grapes, walnuts and mayo. That was okay but again I would have preferred chicken.

One thing that my daughter and I used to eat a lot of was cooked, chopped up turkey mixed in the same boxed gravy and served over mashed potatoes. She is on the South Beach diet now and mashed potatoes are not on that. So, that doesn't work for me.

I gather that you can use it in any sort of recipe in place of other meats. We just don't like it that way. Tried a pizza one year many years back. Called for a Boboli but any gluten-free crust would do. Spread with cranberry sauce then top with Swiss cheese and your turkey. Bake like you would a regular pizza. It was Rachael Ray's recipe but none of us liked it.

shadowicewolf Proficient

soup, salads, pastas, cassoroles, it can be substituted for just about any chicken dish.

GottaSki Mentor

Enchiladas - we have a super yummy green sauce that I keep adapting as our intolerances increase.

What are your don't eat foods?

Adalaide Mentor

I like making turkey rice soup the same way I would make chicken rice soup. I make my own stock after I pick the turkey more or less clean and then can the turkey and stock so I can make soup year round whenever I want.

I also love making pizza. (Or used to anyway.) The possibilities are pretty endless, but I used cranberry sauce, turkey, whatever cheese I happened to have around the house and whatever else I thought might be good on it that was leftover.

I do really love turkey and I will probably pick up another while they are so readily available for the holidays but I won't cook it for Christmas. I know I shouldn't, but frankly it isn't Christmas without a ham. I'll just watch how much of it I eat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

peeptoad Apprentice

My mom made a stir-fry with some of her leftover turkey and it came out really good (and was very different from typical Thanksgiving dinner/leftovers, so a welcome change). The beauty of this is you can throw in whatever vegetables you like that would taste good ina stir fry.

turkey (she used only dark meat)

snow peas

mushrooms

scallions or onions

peanuts

sauce:

mirin

gluten-free soy sauce

rice wine vinegar

maybe a little garlic (can't recall)

rice

Turkey salad sandwiches

Chop and put into spaghetti

Turkey soup, add to chicken soup, add to black bean soup

Mix up with taco seasoning for tacos

Turkey lasagna

I'm not a huge fan of turkey so I tend to use the leftovers in a way that doesn't make them taste like turkey.

I hear ya! This is the first year I've eaten turkey since I scored a "4" on turkey with allergy testing a few years ago. Turkey was 59 cents a pound the the grocery store that normally rips you off, so we bought 2 small ones. I haven't noticed any allergic reactions, but I basically don't like turkey, which makes leftovers problematic.

Well, I have been itchier and bossier, now that I think of it.

Enchiladas - we have a super yummy green sauce that I keep adapting as our intolerances increase.

What are your don't eat foods?

For the moment, quinoa and whole corn. I seem to be tolerating corn chips, corn starch, blah blah blah ok, but if I roast an ear of corn or stick whole kernal corn in something, my digestive system turns gonzo.

Thanks, Lisa.

My mom made a stir-fry with some of her leftover turkey and it came out really good (and was very different from typical Thanksgiving dinner/leftovers, so a welcome change). The beauty of this is you can throw in whatever vegetables you like that would taste good ina stir fry.

turkey (she used only dark meat)

snow peas

mushrooms

scallions or onions

peanuts

sauce:

mirin

gluten-free soy sauce

rice wine vinegar

maybe a little garlic (can't recall)

rice

That sounds good!

Do you mind shipping Mom down here until I survive my leftover turkey crisis? :huh:

kareng Grand Master

My older son was home from college and put turkey on nachos, pizza and burgers.

I like it with cranberry sauce ( the canned jello kind) on it. Or cheddar cheese melted on it.

I am sooo sick of turkey! We have been eating it as is but cut into small pieces and mixed with some boxed gluten-free gravy over some stuffing that is mostly mushrooms, celery and onion with a small amount of bread and some olive oil, Nucoa and turkey broth. We did like it for a while but both my daughter and I went on overkill I think and we'd both be happy if we didn't see it again until next year!

When I was a kid, my mom would make turkey soup. I never liked that. Chicken soup, fine. Turkey? Not so much.

My dad would make it into a salad buy chopping it up and mixing it with halved purple grapes, walnuts and mayo. That was okay but again I would have preferred chicken.

One thing that my daughter and I used to eat a lot of was cooked, chopped up turkey mixed in the same boxed gravy and served over mashed potatoes. She is on the South Beach diet now and mashed potatoes are not on that. So, that doesn't work for me.

I gather that you can use it in any sort of recipe in place of other meats. We just don't like it that way. Tried a pizza one year many years back. Called for a Boboli but any gluten-free crust would do. Spread with cranberry sauce then top with Swiss cheese and your turkey. Bake like you would a regular pizza. It was Rachael Ray's recipe but none of us liked it.

Julie, I reckon we're birds of a feather.

Thank's for warning me about R Ray's bad pizza recipe!

My older son was home from college and put turkey on nachos, pizza and burgers.

I like it with cranberry sauce ( the canned jello kind) on it. Or cheddar cheese melted on it.

Sorry KarenG, nothing personal, I love the bitts out of you, but frankly, I think your son has better taste. (Triple decker sorry A LOT! )

:D:wub::D:)

I like making turkey rice soup the same way I would make chicken rice soup. I make my own stock after I pick the turkey more or less clean and then can the turkey and stock so I can make soup year round whenever I want.

I also love making pizza. (Or used to anyway.) The possibilities are pretty endless, but I used cranberry sauce, turkey, whatever cheese I happened to have around the house and whatever else I thought might be good on it that was leftover.

I do really love turkey and I will probably pick up another while they are so readily available for the holidays but I won't cook it for Christmas. I know I shouldn't, but frankly it isn't Christmas without a ham. I'll just watch how much of it I eat.

Thanks for your suggestions. Have you tried Chebe for pizza crusts yet?

Marilyn, I freeze leftovers for over a month and they're fine (depending on what they are, of course)

How about turkey tetrazzini made with gluten-free pasta or adding the leftover turkey to soup?

Hi Sylvia,

I had a disastrous attempt with turkey tetrazzini several years ago, before going gluten-free. But I've always enjoyed your recipes and if you have one that has passed your tests, I'd love to see you post it.

xxx

GottaSki Mentor

For the moment, quinoa and whole corn. I seem to be tolerating corn chips, corn starch, blah blah blah ok, but if I roast an ear of corn or stick whole kernal corn in something, my digestive system turns gonzo.

Thanks, Lisa.

Will post both the original recipe tomorrow -- and first alternative.

sa1937 Community Regular

Hi Sylvia,

I had a disastrous attempt with turkey tetrazzini several years ago, before going gluten-free. But I've always enjoyed your recipes and if you have one that has passed your tests, I'd love to see you post it.

xxx

Marilyn, I have a recipe I'll dig out and post it. I haven't made it since I went gluten-free but I think the ingredients could easily be substituted to make it gluten-free. Now I'm hungry for it!!!

FatBear Newbie
I know I shouldn't, but frankly it isn't Christmas without a ham. I'll just watch how much of it I eat.

Is that because there is gluten in ham or for other health reasons?

FatBear Newbie

I think a lot of people buy huge turkeys because the price per pound is lower. But if you throw away half of the meat and all of the bones you are really paying much more than double what you thought you paid. I think it's better to buy a bird of the size you can/will eat.

As for what to do with it, you can always chop it up and mix it with chopped onions (50/50 turkey to onions) and mayonnaise and season it as you like. For example, you can put in some Thai chili, garlic, ginger, peanut butter and lime to give it a Thai-ish flavor. Or you can just use Tarragon if you like milder flavors. Put a big plop of it in the middle of a big salad, use olive oil instead of packaged salad dressings, and you will have a tasty and relatively healthy meal.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

She has problems with other foods, it's not about the gluten, although

with pre-packaged hams it is always advisable to read the ingredients/

google the brand to make sure it's safe!

Adalaide Mentor

Thanks for your suggestions. Have you tried Chebe for pizza crusts yet?

I haven't. My single splurge on prepared foods is my crusts. I took forever to try them but eventually ordered one of the sample packs of the Venice crusts. I am hook, line and sinker and am done ever experimenting with or trying anything else. And, while blowing $100 at a time is a LOT of money the cost per pizza when you buy a gazillion crusts at a time is really low. I think I figured it at cheaper than any other crust I could buy.

ETA: not just for the turkey thing but I will pretty much put anything on a pizza. Oh look I have this random leftover in my fridge and idk what to do with it? I wonder if it would be good as a pizza? Let's find out! I'm kinda a freak that way. I do all sorts of things as sauces and toppings. I would so sell my soul at this moment for melty cheese.

I have this whole... blah blah blah you'll go blind crap going on with processed and/or aged meats. The Bunz is right though, we do have to watch what goes into those prepackaged suckers. I don't do the spirals or any of that nonsense. I go for the straight up pig on a bone just like my grammy always made. That's it, someone took a pig, killed it, cut off it's leg and turned it into a ham. BAM! Christmas dinner. Zero gluten worries there, not that I don't read the package but it's pretty hard to screw up pig in plastic.

Adalaide Mentor

For the record, my husband has just turned me into a liar. I was just minding my own business killing demons and he's all texting me pictures of Smithfield caramel apple glazed hams. <_<

This naturally led to frantic phone number searching just to find out I was about 20 minutes too late for the week to get a human on the phone. After extensive googling I was like whatever, Smithfield has been safe forever so just bring one home and I'll read the label and hate myself on Monday if I call them and they're all blah blah blah don't eat it. I'm already drooling and Christmas is still more than 2 weeks away!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

For the record, my husband has just turned me into a liar.

Ain't that always the way! HAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sa1937 Community Regular

Marilyn, here's the recipe:

Turkey Tetrazzini

8 oz.spaghetti

3 tbs. butter

1 small onion, diced

1/4 cup flour

2-3/4 cups milk

4 oz. mushroom stems and pieces, undrained

1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated

White bread slices

3 tbs. Butter

2 cups cooked turkey, cubed

In saucepot, cook spaghetti; drain; return to saucepot.

Meanwhile, in 2 qt. saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cook onion until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in milk, mushrooms with their liquid, bouillon and salt. Cook, stirring, until mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese.

Tear bread into small pieces to make 2 c. bread crumbs. In small saucepan over low heat, melt 3 T. butter; remove from heat; stir in bread crumbs.

Add sauce mixture and turkey to spaghetti in saucepot; gently toss to mix well. Spoon mixture into a 2-1/2 qt. baking dish. Top with bread crumbs.

Bake at 350° for 20 min. or until hot and bubbly.

Serves 6

Make sure all ingredients are gluten-free!

Today I might be tempted to take shortcuts and use a jar of Classico Alfredo Sauce instead of making my own sauce...just because I'm lazy. :lol:

Since I don't have a stash of leftover turkey, I might try this using cooked chicken breasts, fresh mushrooms and more Parmesan.

You might also want to do a google search for turkey tetrazzini and will find a lot of options for making this.

Archived