• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

High Altitude Gluten Free Baking

4 posts in this topic

Do any of you gluten free bakers live in a high altitude? I made some brownies and they were like rocks. What do I need to be doing differently?

I'm at 7,500 feet.

Thanks!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

gluten-free flours tend to be denser than regular flours - even if you are using an Allpurpose flour blend, I would suggest cutting down on the amout of flour used inthe recipe.

Generally I have found that using 1/2- 3/4 of a cup of gluten-free Flour for every 1c of flour the recipe calls for.

You could also add a bit of baking soda - not sure how much but less than a teaspoon for every cup to add volume to the finished product.

Hope that helps. Sorry for being vague. I am learning too :P

Do any of you gluten free bakers live in a high altitude? I made some brownies and they were like rocks. What do I need to be doing differently?

I'm at 7,500 feet.

Thanks!

I have baked cupcakes and brownies that came out perfect at 4,000 feet in Arizona, and while summering in Monument, CO the mixes I used came out perfect. I have used Betty Crocker and King Arthur, and Namaste. I've had disasterous results with most other commercial mixes, especially 1-2-3- Gluten Free Brand. My gluten eating neighbors begged me for more King Arthur chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting, and blueberry muffins.

I'm at the high altitude "line". I didn't cook here or in a gas oven pre gluten-free so I've been trying to figure my problems out. I tested my oven with a thermometer and its right on the mark...I've come to the conclusion I must raise the oven temp 10 degrees-25 degrees when baking. That usually does the trick. The lower temp the recipe calls for, the more I have to raise it. So, a recipe baking at 275 would go up to 300, but one at 375 may only go up to 385. In the 400's definitely am just raising it 10. I also do NOT put anything in without preheating.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Daisy Charlize

• Topics

• Started thinking the only cereal I allow in my house is Vans, they have a cinnamon one that is like a captain crunch with cinnamon, and a strawberry O type that I keep in stock for a friend that comes over sometimes and for my cousins littler girls who I end up babysitting sometimes. There was a coconut flake (corn flake knock) off I used to eat, but the company discontued it. There is a stuff called progranola from julians bakery made without grains that looks great but is a bit expensive at $9 a bag.
    • I would add your pharmacist to that that list and double check when getting a script filled that they checked to make sure it is safe. You will also need to tell any romatic partners as if they are gluten consumers they should brush their teeth before any kissing.
    • What you all are going through is normal. It took a long time for celiac to progress to the point where you were diagnosed and it takes time for the antibodies to resolve and for you to return to full health but you will. Eat as many whole foods as you can, stay away from oats and limit or delete dairy until you have healed for a while longer. Some of us will react to even gluten free oats so wait until you have been symptomless to try them out.  Sublingual B12 may help you heal a bit faster and do take a good gluten free vitamin. Be careful of the 'whole foods' vitamins as some will have barley or wheat grass in them. Eventually you will recognize when you get hit by CC, in my case I get a shift like I am falling sideways and an almost instant change in mood for the worse but it took a while to realize that was what was happening.  If you take any prescription meds do make sure that your pharmacist knows you are celiac and that they are checking all meds prescribed. If you haven't already do read the Newbie 101 thread at the top of the Coping section as it will have a lot of good information to keep you safe. Welcome to you all and I hope you heal quickly.
    • Did you take any vitamin D supplements when that tested low? Was anything done to correct the other deficiencies you had?  Do you take a multivitamin now?  I think correcting any vitamin and mineral deficiencies should be the first line of defense.   It's the simplest way of ruling out more sinister conditions.  Vitamin deficiency diseases can be mistaken for other diseases.  For example,  a deficiency in niacin (pellagra) can be mistaken for Celiac Disease. https://www.celiac.com/articles/24658/1/A-Differential-Diagnosis-How-Pellagra-Can-be-Confused-with-Celiac-Disease/Page1.html Cycling Lady broke vertebra in her neck throwing up.  She had anemia, a result of iron and B12 deficiencies.   I understand how you can just blow off the importance having adequate vitamin and mineral levels.  I did.  My doctor did, too. But when a friend suggested vitamin D deficiency might be causing my severe depression,  I begged my doctor to check my vitamin D level.  He ranted he couldn't make any money prescribing vitamins.  He finally agreed, but only because my insurance would pay for it and he could prescribe synthetic D2.  My level was six.  That's severely deficient.  He didn't bother with checking for other deficiencies.  I broke a leg, osteoporosis due to calcium deficiency.  That's lame.  I developed pellagra.  That's "slightly dead."  Then there was the BeriBeri episode with bouts of tachycardia. That's "almost dead." And from complications of vitamin A deficiency, I'm legally blind.  All within three years.  Yeah, sure, vitamins aren't so important.  Just ignore them, they'll go away.  Please rethink putting nutritional deficiencies on the back burner. Hope this helps. 😸
  • Upcoming Events