This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Should We Avoid Hot Coffee Cups?

Firuze

SBlack Rookie

I do have to say this for what it's worth!!  I was at a convention this past weekend and got a cup of regular coffee and a small amount of cream.  I was drinking out of one of those paper cups (not sure of the manufacturer) but I got very sick for two days.  I packed my own lunch, all gluten-free....the only thing I could think of was the coffee - which would be strange - OR THE CUP.  So I don't know.... but for what it's worth.  And who knows where they bought it from - it was a cheap paper cup.

Also - I saw that someone posted decaf coffee can have gluten in it through processing or something.  I know they never responded but I have to say that about a month or so ago, I went to Dunkin Donuts (always drink their coffee and love it) and ordered a regular iced coffee with cream.  Well I got it and it tasted really weird to me.  Also didn't give me my "pickup" and it upset my stomach right away.  I figured out they gave me decaf by mistake and it did infact make me sick.  I thought that was weird - wasn't sure why decaf would make me sick but it did.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I do have to say this for what it's worth!!  I was at a convention this past weekend and got a cup of regular coffee and a small amount of cream.  I was drinking out of one of those paper cups (not sure of the manufacturer) but I got very sick for two days.  I packed my own lunch, all gluten-free....the only thing I could think of was the coffee - which would be strange - OR THE CUP.  So I don't know.... but for what it's worth.  And who knows where they bought it from - it was a cheap paper cup.

Also - I saw that someone posted decaf coffee can have gluten in it through processing or something.  I know they never responded but I have to say that about a month or so ago, I went to Dunkin Donuts (always drink their coffee and love it) and ordered a regular iced coffee with cream.  Well I got it and it tasted really weird to me.  Also didn't give me my "pickup" and it upset my stomach right away.  I figured out they gave me decaf by mistake and it did infact make me sick.  I thought that was weird - wasn't sure why decaf would make me sick but it did.

Just because something upset your stomach, it doesn't mean its gluten. Coffee can be harsh on a delicate system. CC in places like Duncan Donuts could be high.

come dance with me Enthusiast

These sort of things are posted on a fb group as fact as well, but I have no idea where the information comes from or if it's different in Australia, but our envelopes are safe and our coffee cups are safe, and from what I've seen, the ones in USA, Canada, NZ and UK are safe as well.  I've not looked into others personally.  My daughter is very sensitive, but I hand her the envelopes to lick and let her drink herbal tea from take away cups.

psawyer Proficient

In thirteen years of being gluten-free, I have never seen a confirmed case of gluten being contained in paper products of any sort, including, but not limited to, paper towels, toilet paper, drink cups, envelopes, and stamps. If anyone has an example, please post it with full specifics, i.e., brand name of product, and reliable source (eg. manufacturer).

Until then, I just don't worry about these endless myths in circulation.

kareng Grand Master

In thirteen years of being gluten-free, I have never seen a confirmed case of gluten being contained in paper products of any sort, including, but not limited to, paper towels, toilet paper, drink cups, envelopes, and stamps. If anyone has an example, please post it with full specifics, i.e., brand name of product, and reliable source (eg. manufacturer).

Until then, I just don't worry about these endless myths in circulation.

You forgot tampons! :)

Renegade Contributor

And newspapers

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It may have been what the coffee cups were sitting near. I got glutened recently by coffee but it wasn't the coffee or the cup itself it was that I was foolish enough to grab a cup from the stacks that were right next to a bunch of muffins, bagels and the toaster.  I will be bringing my own beverage to work from now on.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nikki2777 Community Regular

The big issue for me at Starbucks is that FOR SOME REASON, every single server insists on holding my coffee at the lid, getting their germy hands all over my sip top.  Why can they not grab the cup from around the cup itself - they 've got sleeves on them.  

Why oh Why?

come dance with me Enthusiast

It may have been what the coffee cups were sitting near. I got glutened recently by coffee but it wasn't the coffee or the cup itself it was that I was foolish enough to grab a cup from the stacks that were right next to a bunch of muffins, bagels and the toaster.  I will be bringing my own beverage to work from now on.

I have to be careful with that too, have made my child sick by not taking notice of what's around what I give her.  At one place the gluten-free bread and the regular bread were a little way apart, but people were using the same set of tongs for both lots, things like that can transfer gluten to food so easily.  On that occasion I happened to be watching and brought it up with the workers, now they keep the gluten-free bread out the back with a sign up to say it needs to be asked for.

• 3 weeks later...
chantal Newbie

For years I would react to certain coffee shops. Some coffee manufacturers state on their websites that their coffee is not gluten free. Disposable cups contain an edible glue that does contain wheat sometimes, which does slightly get into your drink. On the last note of Starbucks, I emailed them a few years ago and in the email they sent me back, they stated that nothing on their menu could be guaranteed gluten free, not even the coffee. The only thing Starbucks said would be safe was prepackaged food and drinks such as apple juice, or chips.

kareng Grand Master

For years I would react to certain coffee shops. Some coffee manufacturers state on their websites that their coffee is not gluten free. Disposable cups contain an edible glue that does contain wheat sometimes, which does slightly get into your drink. On the last note of Starbucks, I emailed them a few years ago and in the email they sent me back, they stated that nothing on their menu could be guaranteed gluten free, not even the coffee. The only thing Starbucks said would be safe was prepackaged food and drinks such as apple juice, or chips.

I have never seen any coffee manufacturers say they are not gluten-free.  They may not test the coffee for gluten and won't make a claim for legal reasons.  Not sure where the gluten would be in plain old coffee?

Nor have I seen any info that paper cups would be sealed using a glue made with wheat  that would come unglued when warm and wet.  Could you please provide some info from the paper companies or a reliable source about the cups that use wheat glue?

Starbucks has a typical CYA statement that their is a potential for cross- contamination in their stores.  Many of us drink coffee and tea safely at Starbucks.  In Europe they have gluten-free food offerings.

Gemini Experienced

I have never seen any coffee manufacturers say they are not gluten-free.  They may not test the coffee for gluten and won't make a claim for legal reasons.  Not sure where the gluten would be in plain old coffee?

Nor have I seen any info that paper cups would be sealed using a glue made with wheat  that would come unglued when warm and wet.  Could you please provide some info from the paper companies or a reliable source about the cups that use wheat glue?

Starbucks has a typical CYA statement that their is a potential for cross- contamination in their stores.  Many of us drink coffee and tea safely at Starbucks.  In Europe they have gluten-free food offerings.

Thank you, kareng, for beating me to this common sense and correct information.  Coffee cups that have glue which gets slightly into the drink?  :huh:  And edible at that!  Yum!

Starbuck's have a different policy here in the States because so many people are sue happy and the courts make it easy.  When in Europe, as Kareng stated, they have many gluten-free offerings at their stores.  The liability laws are different and ones that we could learn from.  I have never been glutened at Bucky's from their coffee or tea or from any store in Europe. I am a sensitive, diagnosed Celiac, for what it's worth.

Archived