This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking For A Gluten Free Bread Recipe

Skittles

Skittles Enthusiast

Also can't contain potato or corn! :unsure: Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Here's one of many possibilities:

Almond Flour Bread 2

A versatile recipe that can be used for bread, cakes or pizza.

Ingredients:

DRY INGREDIENTS

1 cup of brown rice flour

1 cup almond flour

¾ cup white rice flour

¼ cup tapioca flour

2 ½ teaspoons guar gum or xanthan gum

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons instant yeast

WET INGREDIENTS

2 eggs

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice

1 - 1 ¼ cups warm water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix dry ingredients in food processor. Add the wet ingredients. Process until it is thick like a cake mix. Add more water as needed. Pour into a loaf pan and let rise as high as ¾ of the pan. Place in the oven and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.

Other Options:

For Cinnnamon raisin or Date Loaf - add ½ cup of soaked raisins - (5 min in boiling water) and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.

For Pizza - spread the dough onto a cookie sheet using lots of olive oil to press it down. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes. Add toppings and cook another 10 minutes.

Juliebove Rising Star

This is a recipe that I got elsewhere. It is not my recipe and I saved it as it was written, so forgive the typos. It makes a single serving at a time or a nice hamburger type bun. It is super quick and good! I used to make this and my daughter and I would share one because we can't eat a lot of carbs at one time.

"Hi All

It's been quite a while since iI posted but I just had to post a very

simple delicous bread recipe I have developed. Like my mother used to

say "necessity is the mother of invention". We travel a lot for Ken's

work these days and I was forever running out of bread. Then I

developed an allergy to yeast and eggs and that blew all my gluten-free recipes

out of the water for me so I began to experiment with a baking powder

recipe called "lazy man's bread." I found most rice breads have a

tendency to rise beautifully and then drop just before they are done.

I decided to try my own version of this recipe in the microwave

reasoning that since the bread always drops when almost cooked the

microwave might fix this and it worked really well. The recipe I

developed works really well in the corningware plain open stock bowls.

A large soup bowl (not the ceral bowls that come in the sets) makes a

small loaf and two rice bowls can be used instead for buns. I use the

rice flours from the Asian isle in the supermarket. My brand is Ivory

brand and since it is imported from Thailand it is not likely to be

cross sontaminated with wheat flour. The secret to the nice texture is

the sweet rice flour AKA glutenous or sweet rice flour.

Here is my recipe:

Microwave Rice Bread

1/2 cup rice flour

1 heaping teaspoon glutenous rice flour (also called sticky rice flour

and yes it glutten is free even though the name implies

otherwise)

1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (according to taste)

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 cup soda water ot carbonated spring water

If I am baking this in the bigger bowl I just put dry ingredients in

the bowl and mix them then I mix in the carbonated water and put it in

the mocrowave immediately for 3 minutes and in a total of 5 minutes

or less I have a soft delicious loaf of bread. This is best eaten

fresh but it is so simple I don't mind baking one whenever I am hungry

for bread. It also makes a delicious hamburger bun it you bake it in

two rice bowls instead.

I have also addapted this recipe to a strawberry shortcake by adding a

bit of sugar (about 1 tbsp) and vanilla. It can also take a bit of

margarine added to it to make it richer. I just go a bit heavy on the

flour or a bit light on the water.

If I have to stay in a hotel I just put the dry ingredients for one

recipe in a ziploc bag and when I get there all I have to do is put it

in my bowl and add 1/2 cup of carbonated water. this is so great since

most hotels have a microwave. This also works with plain water but

since rice flour is hard to make rise using carbonated water makes it

lighter.

Just hink this is a great one for kids who hate crusts since it is

crust free. Hope you all enjoy the fresh bread as much as I and my

other celiac friends have. Betty"

Madagascar Rookie

a friend just sent me this tonight from her gluten-free daughter. the daughter is quite a baker - worked in a regular bakery for a while. i haven't tried it but would trust that it will be good.

here's the gluten free yogurt bread recipe.

Proof yeast with:

2/3 c water

1T yeast

1T sugar

Dry Ingredients:

3c gluten free flour mix (I use 30% buckwheat. 30%brown rice 20% sorghum and 10% tapioca)

1 t xanthan gum

1 t salt

Wet ingredients:

2T butter, melted

8 oz yogurt

2T honey

2eggs

1tsp apple cider vinefar

Mix dry, add wet, let rise 1 -1.5hours. Bake @375F for 30min then cover with foil and bake 30 min more. I put all ingredients in the bread machine, VOOT, and push go! it's perfect.

Oh, and to make this the BEST savory gluten free bread EVER, sprinkle the top of the bread before baking with coarse salt, rosemary and pepper and add minced garlic and (if you are reallllly going for excellence) parmesan to the wet ingredients. Unfortunately, I think she will have to learn to love dense anti-bread products. Light and fluffy is all in the gluten. but there is a lot to love in the nutty, hearty, complex flour flavors AND in feeling better.

Sourdough Boule

at the moment i have a different recipe in the oven: Open Original Shared Link

the starter grew ok, it smells pretty good . . . i'm just hoping it will be delicious. i haven't had a piece of bread in a month now.

• 3 weeks later...
Madagascar Rookie

To update this - I've kept the sourdough starter going for several weeks now and have probably made the gluten-free Sourdough Boule from the link above (art of gluten-free baking.com) perhaps a dozen times. It's a really good bread - i'm having a little bit of trouble getting it completely cooked through in the center, but tomorrow when i make the next loaf i'm going to leave it a little longer in the oven with the lid on.

You can use whatever flours you want with it. I've mostly used sorghum - it has an interesting flavor that is definitely growing on me. one time i fed the starter with garfava flour (garbanzo bean/fava bean blend) and it soaked up all the fluid and became like a sponge! the author suggested using a higher protein flour to give the yeast enough to grow on, i believe.

the starter above is begun by using water, gluten-free flour and a couple of leaves of purple cabbage that have that white bloom on them. that's yeast, apparently. in any case, as weird as it sounded, it totally worked. i have a lovely brew of yeast-y smelling starter on the counter.

also, there was a new article posted here: https://www.celiac.com/articles/23145/1/Is-Sourdough-the-Future-of-Gluten-free-Bread/Page1.html that says "However, sourdough isn't just good for making better bread.Recent studies show that sourdough

fermentation can also speed gut healing in people with celiac disease at the start of a gluten-free diet.

Here is a recipe for a starter, but there wasn't an accompanying recipe for making the actual bread. https://www.celiac.com/articles/23146/1/Gluten-free-Sourdough-Starter/Page1.html

Archived