• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gluten Sensitivity

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm confused as to whether I may have a problem with gluten. I have had this weird rash on my face that won't go away and it's not DH, just looks like eczema and it burns and itches so bad. It seems to flare up every other day. I got tested for celiac and it was negative. I've never had this problem before. It started last summer when I went from a typical American diet to a healthy one with plenty of salads, fruits, veggies and veggie juicing. I thought maybe I was allergic to something I was juicing but when the rash would not get better i switched back to my old diet for the most part. Now I have a sensitivity to eating wheat products (I think). I tested negative for all allergies and none of the creams from the dermatologist work. But my rash is not DH and I have no stomach issues. Can a gluten sensitivity be triggered by switching to a healthier diet?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

It depends what one means by "healthier."

In a lot of the mainstream publications right now there are the typical food writers pushing what is considered a "heart healthy" diet for men who are prone to coronary artery disease, which is a diet which is high in grains, vegetables, and fruits, and low in fat, animal products such as dairy, and meat. A lot of registered dietitians will also push this sort of diet for "weight loss." They are typically high gluten diets with 5 or more servings a day of it. When the USDA was pushing that "Food Pyramid" eating plan it was 10 or more daily servings of grain. If you have a tendency towards gluten intolerance, celiac, and/ or a tendency towards insulin resistance, this sort of diet will make it worse, especially if you are also a bit hypothyroid (low).

Unfortunately one can have a gluten sensitivity and not have it show up on any tests whatsoever, other than eliminating it from the diet completely, and seeing what happens. One can also have a topical reaction going on at the same time to the wheat family, or almost anything else, like oats or soy in soaps, which is made worse by the original reaction to gluten. Sleuthing this stuff out takes a lot of patience. There are still a few things in commercial cosmetics and toiletries I've never figured out, but I've had horrific reactions to some products, and none at all to others.

A rash on your face, to me, screams that you're not only eating something that is sensitizing and priming your whole immune system, but that something ELSE somewhere you're coming in contact with is making your face break out. I would be looking at all sorts of soaps, especially the liquid soaps with the antibacterial chemicals that one washes one's hands with in public or in some work settings, I've had a few jobs in the past where, because of this crap being in the dispensers in the restrooms, and then inadvertently touching my face, it was an ongoing disaster. If I use a public restroom, I really rinse my hands, using as little soap as possible, then rewash my hands as soon as I get home, and I have to make sure to periodically clean off my vehicle's steering wheels. I've also been known to carry a little bit of soap with me in my purse on trips, just to avoid this whole problem. And this is just one example of a hypersensitivity reaction, I'm not as bad with it now, because I'm avoiding gluten.

Another example may be you have a family pet which is eating gluten, and then licking itself or you, or jumping up on the bed, and spreading it around that way. If you have cats, for example, you may want to make sure the cat is not eating anything that you react to, especially if the cat sleeps in the bed.

Another place to pick up something you don't want, is on a commonly shared keyboard. <_<

With your hair, you might try just rinsing it with water and diluted baking soda, then rinsing it well again. Then using a diluted pure apple cider vinegar and water rinse (7 parts water to 1 part vinegar) to detangle it, and then, if you need more moisturizer, a tiny bit of pure coconut oil or pure shea butter. This is about as an allergy free routine for hair that can be done, so you can see if it is a care hair product which is doing this. (don't forget to wash your pillowcases and towels in a hypo allergenic type laundry product, and rinse them well).

Hi, I'm confused as to whether I may have a problem with gluten. I have had this weird rash on my face that won't go away and it's not DH, just looks like eczema and it burns and itches so bad. It seems to flare up every other day. I got tested for celiac and it was negative. I've never had this problem before. It started last summer when I went from a typical American diet to a healthy one with plenty of salads, fruits, veggies and veggie juicing. I thought maybe I was allergic to something I was juicing but when the rash would not get better i switched back to my old diet for the most part. Now I have a sensitivity to eating wheat products (I think). I tested negative for all allergies and none of the creams from the dermatologist work. But my rash is not DH and I have no stomach issues. Can a gluten sensitivity be triggered by switching to a healthier diet?

hi, im relatively new on here, not diagnosed with celiac,

just replying because ive had a rash on my palms for over 16 years- little small blisters that crust over and then peel. my hands are always dry and flaky. anyway about a year ago i got a small red rash on the side of my face near my hairline. i thought i,d left my hair dye on a bit too long and burned my skin. but it never improved. its slowly spread over the side of my face to my cheek,then forehead and chin, over my nose and basically its all over my face now. just recently it started to get pimply and itchy. i too dont know whats causing it and it doesent sound like d.h.. when it first started i stopped usind all my usual face products, so no smoothing, tightening,anti- wrinkle anything!! and tried to find the mildest soaps with fewest ingredients and chose a basic vitamin e totally natural moisturiser and oil. the rash hasnt cleared!!!

i dont know if anyone knows but i thought i read somewhere that most vitamin e is derived from a wheat source - ive googled so many things on here the last few months, that i cannot remember where ive read it . does this sound right or not?? id hate to think id made it worse by goin "natural"

hope you find an answer mika, if i find anything out i,ll let you know