This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Signs In Baby

siouxsie

siouxsie Rookie

I just found out I have celiac- sprue and as I'm eliminating gluten from my diet, my son is 4 1/2 mos. and his dr. is starting him on cereal. He has been successfully breastfed with one or two times we had to suppliment (one time I was in er for dehydration and the other was after the abdominal cat scan I had) His dr. knows my diagnosis and said to try all the cereals and look for a reastion. Well, only rice cereal has casused painful :( pooping so I'm trying oatmeal now. My question is this: could a runny, congested nose be a sign of a gluten sensitivity? So far he hasn't shown any other bad reactions to the oatmeal but I believe his slightly runny nose has gotten worse. It's so tough looking at everything he does and wondering is that a reaction to gluten? We're starting him on the cereal so that he gets more iron and calcium in his diet w/o giving vitamin suppliments. He has grown 6" and gained 9lbs in the last 4 months, but I'm worried about what may happen as we introduce solid foods. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Suzanne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Connie R-E Apprentice

I've had a runny nose and congestion due to gluten...

Now, my reactions are much different, though.

Good for you for spotting such a small reaction!!

You are "on the ball"!

Most people don't realize that foods can cause these things. If you are keeping a food/reaction diary for him, you can spot these reactions and have some proof of them when you begin to think you're just crazy! ;)

Connie

wclemens Newbie

My grandson showed severe reactions to milk at one to two weeks, such as stomach cramping, vomiting his formula, diarrhea, diaper rash, irritability, crying, and general overall distress following ingesting the milk. He was changed to soy and has thrived.

I ordered the full spectrum of tests from Enterolab ($368 for the panel), and after we sent a stool sample, along with a swab sample from the inside of his cheek, we received a diagnosis concluding that he is gluten sensitive and allergic to all milk and dairy.

He never had to start wheat cereal or oats, but twice I have seen the changes that take place when he accidentally gets wheat or milk. It is dreadful--fussiness and irritability within 20 minutes, writhing with stomach distress, sleeplessness, crying, loss of appetite--and that lasts for three days. I pray that he is fortunate enough to avoid the foods that are poisonous for him from now on. He is 8 months old.

I recognized that he was probably allergic because I have been that way since the age of 8. I often had a stuffy or runny nose after eating foods to which I am allergic. I am so glad you have learned what is causing your problems, and I hope that you will soon be able to identify what is going on with your son. Welda

Archived