This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Know Of Any Good Cookies?

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

The title pretty much says it all! I'm looking for a GOOD store bought cookie. A sandwich cookie would be nice. I made a batch of Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate chip cookies and they were pretty good but I am not a huge fan of chocolate.

Nut free too please. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FatBear Newbie

The title pretty much says it all! I'm looking for a GOOD store bought cookie. A sandwich cookie would be nice. I made a batch of Betty Crocker gluten free chocolate chip cookies and they were pretty good but I am not a huge fan of chocolate.

Nut free too please. :)

Most store bought cookies are pretty crumbly/cakey. If I want cake I can buy or make it. Mi-Del makes some good gluten free Ginger Snaps and Cinnamon Snaps that are almost indistinguishable from the gluteniszed ones. Their Arrowroot cookies are very tasty, if a bit mellow. Their chocolate chip cookies are pretty boring, but then you don't like chocolate. (I would otherwise have suggested making Nestles Toll House cookies with Bob's Red Mill GP gluten free mix - very good and crispier than most gluteny ones.)

I have tried a bunch of gluten-free sandwich cookies and universally hate them. They are always absolutely sickly sweet. Sweeter than pure sugar. I don't know how they do that, but I don't want to, either. As a former Oreo addict I would sure like to learn about something as good. Oreos are sweet, but balanced. There's no reason someone could not make a gluten-free cookie which would be indistinguishable from a real Oreo.

And be careful about Newman's. I bought a package of Paul Newman's (or is it Newman's Own? I can't remember) "Wheat Free" "Dairy Free" sandwich cookies without reading the ingredients and it set me on the path to severe intestinal inflammation and very serious SIBO. Turns out they are made with barley flour - very definitely NOT gluten free. I chastised them for misleading labeling - after all, the only people who really care if something is wheat free are Celiacs or gluten intolerant people, right? They just quoted some lawyer words at me and implied that I should go away. And here I thought they were so responsible. I no longer eat any Paul Newman's products.

jerseyangel Proficient

Pamela's Shortbread Cookies are very good.

kareng Grand Master

We like these "Oreos". They are a bit more choclatey than regular Oreos. http://resources.kinnikinnick.com/media//products/fullsize_single/s_62013300364.webp

I love these, too:

Open Original Shared Link

bartfull Rising Star

Pamela's website is WONDERFUL! They have an allergy chart that lists all of their products and possible allergens on one page.

I have written down a list of all the ones I can have and keep it in my purse so next time I'm in "the big city" I can buy some of the ones my local store doesn't carry. (Of course I will read the label first in case any changes have been made.)

Silencio Enthusiast

Kinnikinnick makes really good cookies. Also if you're in Canada, Superstore makes PC brand cookies.

squirmingitch Veteran

Gluten-Free, If you are going to avoid iodine for the dh rash then most if not all of the cookies listed above are going to be on the no-no list. Dairy is iodine, as is carageenan, eggs b/c of the yolk & I could go on. But since hubs & I are doing it I will tell you what we found. Enjoy Life cookies. they are GREAT! No sandwich cookies but really GOOD cookies. They are free of:

gluten, wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish, shellfish, casein, potato, sesame & sulfites. We love all of their crunchy ones & they make a soft one that is double chocolate brownie or something like that & it is much like a brownie. Hubs puts warm cherry pie filling on top of it & it's YUM! Certified gluten-free.

Also, we found Lucy's chocolate chip cookies. No peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, gluten. Certified gluten-free. Now, they DO have gluten-free oats in them. Neither of us has reacted. You can taste the oats a bit which is really fine to us as we miss oatmeal cookies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lisachrystine Newbie

Enjoy Life cookies. they are GREAT! No sandwich cookies but really GOOD cookies. They are free of:

gluten, wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish, shellfish, casein, potato, sesame & sulfites. We love all of their crunchy ones & they make a soft one that is double chocolate brownie or something like that & it is much like a brownie. Hubs puts warm cherry pie filling on top of it & it's YUM! Certified gluten-free.

We just happened to have some of the Enjoy Life soft baked snickerdoodle cookies tonight. My mother in law brought them for the kids over the holidays; we'd never had them before. Yum! I thought they were really good.

squirmingitch Veteran

We just happened to have some of the Enjoy Life soft baked snickerdoodle cookies tonight. My mother in law brought them for the kids over the holidays; we'd never had them before. Yum! I thought they were really good.

Yeah they are aren't they? We were really surprised that none of their cookies taste "weird" especially since they don't have any of that stuff in them! They taste like regular old gluten cookies!

Here's a link to the company website:

And we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their chocolate bars & chocolate chips!

And here's a link for the Lucy's cookie site --- it's Dr. Lucy's on the site but the cookies we have leave off the "Dr."

Health4U Newbie

What I like is Glutino sandwitch cookies. My son likes Udis and Pamilas which you can get at Walmart usually. Sometimes Krogers have them as well.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks everyone! I'm headed to a bigger town this weekend for a trip to Whole Foods. Hopefully they will have some of these cookies there.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I know you want store bought, however, these are worth making!!!

These are better than any store bought cookie I have had! We all like different things, but I must say...I am in LOVE with Hodgson Mills Gluten Free Cookie mix., You can make a few different cookies from it. My daughter made these for me to try them out for Santa.. We used Enjoy Life chips and I was a very happy lady! I have used a few cookie mixes in 2 1/2 years, I'm super sensitive and these were wonderful! My gluten eating people liked them :) We have tried different mixes, this is by far the best i have had!

If you want store bought, Udis is good and I agree with the Ginger Snaps.

Enjoy :)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

It's been a good long time since I had them, but I remember LOVING the Whole Foods gluten free kitchen

or whatever it's called, it's the store brand of gluten free stuff in the freezer. They make the BEST cookies.

I used to buy the chocolate chip ones, I loved them. Granted, it's probably been four years, because I've

had problems with sugar a long time. I also very much liked the Glutino sandwich cookies, and the wafer

cookies- like KitKats!

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to buy some cookies tomorrow. :)

Thanks for the recipes too. I have a really hard time baking anything because I live in a very high altitude at 8500 feet nothing comes out right and gets stale very quickly. I know that there are things that you can add for high altitude baking like corn starch but I just can not figure out how it all works.

jerseyangel Proficient

If you get to a Whole Foods, I second Bunnie's suggestion of Gluten Free Bakeshop cookies. The Ginger Molassas ones are amazing.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks. I will look for them at Whole Foods. :)

Archived