This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Accidentally Glutened

coco676

coco676 Newbie

Hi everyone,

I've been on a gluten free for over a year now and for the most part am doing fine...except on the rare occasion when I accidentally gluten myself.

Does anyone else get a severly itchy scalp after ingesting gluten? It is so hard for me to sleep during one of these episodes because all I want to do is brush/scratch my hair. I also feel like my sleep when I'm glutened is similar to how one sleeps when really, really drunk (passed out, weird dreams, don't feel rested, really thirsty when woken up).

Does anyone have advice for how to deal with this better? I just try to drink tons of water and pop a Zyrtec.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sisterlynr Explorer

I am one that has the scalp covered with lesions from DH. I have found that using Scalpicin will relieve the itch, pronto.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Is that why my head really itches sometimes?

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh yes, I get the itchies if I get glutened, too.

I just wait for it to subside. I have never found that anything like Benadryl helps me.

Most people take Benadryl and pass out sleeping, but I am wide awake and feel like I am jumping

out of my skin.

Gluten agitates me, so I am more likely to have insomnia and a banging, erratic heart from it, rather than the sleepies.

If I do finally fall asleep, I am restless and have wicked nightmares. (poor hubs has been awakened by my yelling)

If I get hit with CC, I get small red blisters on my scalp, and they clear up in a few days.

coco676 Newbie

Well thanks for confirming that this happens to other people! I don't know anyone else on a gluten-free diet so I really appreciate the community this forum provides!

mushroom Proficient

Most people take Benadryl and pass out sleeping, but I am wide awake and feel like I am jumping

out of my skin.

You and me both. If I really need to stay awake, Nyquil does the trick :P

IrishHeart Veteran

You and me both. If I really need to stay awake, Nyquil does the trick :P

so, what IS IT with all that stuff? do we live in opposite world?

Things that make people all dopey and calm turn me into a nervous nelly 2 year old on candy and steroids! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

so, what IS IT with all that stuff? do we live in opposite world?

Things that make people all dopey and calm turn me into a nervous nelly 2 year old on candy and steroids! :lol:

What it is with that stuff is that it really does jazz up the system, so they put all these dopey-making things in it to counteract the jazz. But you and I already got so much jazz that if they jazz us up further nothing will dope us down.

IrishHeart Veteran

What it is with that stuff is that it really does jazz up the system, so they put all these dopey-making things in it to counteract the jazz. But you and I already got so much jazz that if they jazz us up further nothing will dope us down.

I actually followed that. (my doc explained it when I asked him--central nervous system yada yada yada--but your way is better).

We're JAZZY!!!!!! :lol:

frieze Community Regular

known phenomenon, that some women lose the ability to take benadryl as they approach 60. Gives them restless leg/agitation instead of the sedation.

IrishHeart Veteran

known phenomenon, that some women lose the ability to take benadryl as they approach 60. Gives them restless leg/agitation instead of the sedation.

Oh, this is not new for me. I started doing this in my 20's and have ALWAYS had a problem with meds that are supposed to sedate me.

I cannot take codeine or narcotic pain meds either. (which is infuriating because it would help with the pain I am in)

Especially makes recovery from surgeries "tricky" <_<

mushroom Proficient

I cannot take codeine or narcotic pain meds either. (which is infuriating because it would help with the pain I am in)

Dang! I can't either :blink: Were we separated at birth?

IrishHeart Veteran

Dang! I can't either :blink: Were we separated at birth?

.....starting to think so after 2 years of comparing notes.... :)

My mother and sister--are the same way.

mushroom Proficient

.....starting to think so after 2 years of comparing notes.... :)

My mother and sister--are the same way.

Not mine - my sister was hooked on codeine (you can get it OTC here, as in Panadeine, but I think they are making you sign for it now)

LauraB0927 Apprentice

Gluten agitates me, so I am more likely to have insomnia and a banging, erratic heart from it, rather than the sleepies.

I was having a banging erratic heart beat for a little while and had no idea what that was!!! It didnt hurt or anything but it scared me as I was laying down to go to sleep and would feel this bounding heart beat about every minute or so!! I spoke to my doc and he didnt seem too concerned but it ironically stopped after I cut out all processed foods again last week and became real strict. (Hurricane Sandy here in NJ royally messed up my Primal diet when the lack of electricity for over a week wiped out all of my whole foods) Hmmm never put two and two together before on this one!! Thanks for mentioning it!!

Archived