This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Muscle Tension A Frequent Celiac Problem Or Rare?

Liquidceliac

Liquidceliac Rookie

I have one more question and I promise ill stop posting until I go to the doctors again. My main symptom apart from digestive problems is muscle tension/ pain.I get frequent back of the neck tension and aches, upper back and shoulder tension, sometimes ill also get muscle pain like a sun burn but under neath the skin.And lastly like a lower back ache , but minor,and muscle weakness if I eat the wrong stuff like McDonald mcmuffins ,donuts etc but usually the day after and not right away.Since my digestion is either sloth slow or in overdrive. Just wondering because I have read recent posts but I don't see a lot of muscle problems ??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alesusy Explorer

Hello

I don't know if this is valid for everybody but yes, in my personal experience celiac disease has a close relation to muscle tension although I don't know why. In my worse month pre-diagnosis, last November, I had a headache every single day, generally around the left eye or the left temple, sometimes just a distant thump thump sometimes strong pains. I had read celiac disease and headaches were related but was very worried. Then I went to my dentist and she touched my jaw and did I jump on that chair... To make a long story short: I have been suffering from tension headaches from the extreme tension in my jaw, but I felt the ache around the eye and in the neck. I have been clenching my jaws at night for years and I do have a bite but it never was THAT bad. It's been much better since going gluten free and I believe it might get better still in time (up to a few years ago I did not clench my jaws at all..) I have read several topic with people saying they clenched or ground their teeth at night and the problem seemed to get better going gluten free.

mushroom Proficient

My sister and I (sister also celiac) had a terrible teeth-clenching problem before gluten free. I had also extreme muscle tension throughout my body, which did not relax with massage therapy. I took a relaxation class, and the more I tried to relax a part of the body, the greater the tension became :rolleyes:

I still have some problems with my legs and shoulders, but no longer clench my teeth.

Liquidceliac Rookie

Great info for me,thank you very much for the responses this gives me hope

Archived